Confirmed with Link: [VAN/NJD] Canucks trade G Cory Schneider to Devils for 9th Overall Pick - Part III

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Well, the guy he was traded for couldn't earn a spot on a bottom-six that includes Mike Santorelli, Brad Richardson, and Zac Dalpe...

Because you know, we want to keep him up from Junior to play 10 mins a night. That ought to be great for his development. :sarcasm:

YouCantYandleThis*

How so? Sending an 18 year old down is no big deal in the long run. A ton of elite players went back to junior in their first year. This seems like jumping to conclusions.

Exactly.

Giving Horvat a chance to dominate junior with two fantastic line-mates as a Captain of the London Knights can only bode well for his progression as a prospect.

Edit: I would have liked to see Hunter get a game or two though. What can you do?

goodluckchuck

Apr 22, 2012
Schneider Game 1 2012-2013 opener - 5 GAA
Schneider Game 1 2013-2014 opener - 3 GAA

I'm not knocking Schneider's talent, but the rumours about anxiety, nervousness and the jitters the past few seasons are becoming more of a reality.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta

I'm not knocking Schneider's talent, but the rumours about anxiety, nervousness and the jitters the past few seasons are becoming more of a reality.

If my math is correct, in 2 years he'll be posting a shutout and scoring a breakaway goal in the 2015-2016 opener.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Almost certainly he'll be fine and it's only one game but I can only imagine what is going to be said if Luongo let's out a rebound like Schneider did on the first goal or if he lets in one like the third goal.

Betamax*

Okay, maybe the Devils have second thoughts on the deal ...

My proposal:

Bobby Lu + Horvat to NJD for The Cory back to Canucks

Do you think they will bite?

YouCantYandleThis*

I'd like to think of myself of more of a realist.

Yeah, your last post surely reflected that :sarcasm:

Cory Schneider's on the Devil's people. Luongo is playing well.

Get. The ****. Over It.

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
10 Ways for Gillis to Break Even in the Schneider Trade

I've been thinking about the trade, and I think there are quite a few different ways in which Mike Gillis can, at the very least, break even with the trade. In my opinion, if any single one of these things happen, the trade is a draw.

1) If Schneider doesn't maintain his incredible level of play in New Jersey.
- This is unlikely to happen, I believe. Schneider is phenomenal and will probably continue his ridiculous 0.93% or at least 0.92%+ save percentages.

2) If Horvat turns into a 1st line forward.
- If this happens, I think we basically break even with the trade. First line centers are pretty hard to find.

3) If Luongo matches Schneider's play and numbers for the next 5-10 years.
- If Luongo plays amazing for most of the rest of his career, matching Schneider, than I think we come out even in the trade based on that alone.

4) If the Canucks win a cup in the next 5-10 years and New Jersey doesn't.
- If Luongo wins a cup with Vancouver, It's hard to say we could lose that trade.

5) If Lack turns into the next young star goalie.
- If Eddie Lack becomes the next Schneider for us, then we're in the same place we were before, but with an extra asset (Horvat).

6) If Cannata does the same.
- If any of our goalie prospects become a young franchise goalie, then we've simply traded a redundant asset.

7) If Eriksson does the same.
- Smart of Gillis to add another cartridge to the chamber last offseason.

8) If Schneider doesn't re-sign with New Jersey.
- There's obviously no reason for this to happen.

9) If Schneider opts to re-sign for 7.5 million.
- At some point the cap hit becomes too high. I'm not sure exactly at what point that is.

10) If Luongo plays very well, puts up numbers in the ballpark of Schneider, and wins a Vezina in the next 10 years while Schneider does not.
- If Luongo wins a Vezina, in my opinion he is basically a lock for the HOF.

I'm not saying any of these are likely, but when you combine all of them together, there are quite a few outs for us to at least break even in the trade.

With all that said, I don't want to be too competitive here, because Schneider is my favourite player not on the Canucks and I wish him the best. Also, I like New Jersey and hope they are successful with their young franchise goalie.

CRDragon

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
Dec 2, 2006
Vancouver
3) If Luongo matches Schneider's play and numbers for the next 5-10 years.
- If Luongo plays amazing for most of the rest of his career, matching Schneider, than I think we come out even in the trade based on that alone.

I disagree with #3. If Horvat busts, we gave Schnieder away for nothing. Period. Regardless of Luongo's results...or even the team's results, we can't breakeven on this trade if that happens.

9th overall pick could have been another player other than Horvat as well, which Mike Gillis had control of.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Schneider is only signed for two years. He can come back.

Canucks made an error, anyway. Even if Lu is statistically better, he is significantly older and monumentally more expensive. The root of this problem is the owner. Canucks have an obnoxious owner. He immediately began a steady stream of F.Y.s to the league and was heard and noticed. His first act of arrogance was to hire an agent to run the team. Then the agent announced he was going to improve the team and lead hockey away from their existing culture. Soon after, over league objections the two conspired to make Luongo the richest goalie in history. Two years later they tried to trade him. Hahahahaha!

Lamoriello is known to be a smart GM and he has shown it. Knowing the hate is on for Vancouver, he simply allowed them to dig a deep enough hole. Then, he shat down a draft pick upon them that they received like manna from heaven.

The argument that the Canucks won the trade because they got somebody with the draft pick is not useful because they still only got a pick for a fresh starter. That's theft.

Canucks have to live this stuff down. It's not happening overnight. Obviously, they haven't done so, yet, or else players wouldn't be avoiding the team like the plague.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad