Confirmed with Link: [VAN/MTL] Zack Kassian + 5th round pick for Brandon Prust (Mod Warning post #890)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Scouting report on Prust: Heart and soul guy who will give it all and cares about the teams he plays on, sticks up for teammates. Has lost a step in the last year or so, could just be a one off year, could be a possible decline. I didn't check how many times he fought this year but I believe it was less than usual.

I hope it works out for you guys, sorry to hear how upset you all are. I wouldn't be happy either. From what I understand Kassian isn't much to write home about either though, often inconsistent 24yr old who never really put it all together. Could be a trade both teams end up losing in a few years.

The 5th round pick is the most puzzling part, don't understand the logic there, but MB seems to find ways to get even more competent GM's to throw in picks in trades where it seemingly makes zero sense.

I hope for VAN's sake Prust performs, when he's on his game he can definitely be a fan favorite.

All of this is true, but Prust is 31 years old and is also a UFA next season. Even if we are successful in re-signing Prust, how many more years before he goes into decline? We know what Burrow and Bieksa were like as 30-31 year olds, and we know what Burrows and Bieksa are like as 33-34 year olds.

The Jesus*

Sorry, until you have it translated professionally be a certified translator, and then have it notarized by a lawyer in Canada, it cannot possibly be considered as authentic. You must also get a notarized document from Burrows stating that he did indeed do the interview. After all, it could be someone disguising themselves as Alex Burrows!!!

Sorry I couldn't resist. Thanks for posting the source.

Why is there no date on that article? He said "in the past", so depending on the date of the article it means Kassian probably played through whatever back issues he was having. And no surprise, it makes no mention of "tennis ball sized lumps", just says lumps.

Lumps on the lower back can be anything from the result of innocuous muscle spasms, to swollen lymph nodes, to fatal cancer. That doesn't mean anything. It certainly doesn't mean he couldn't play in the playoffs. You better believe if it was Henrik Sedin with the same issues, he'd have been playing.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
What? Benning thinks Prust had MORE value than Kassian and added a 5th?

Prust?

Jesus ****ing christ.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
:laugh: I think the fan favourite thing went out the window when he found himself traded for Kassian. Fans here aren't going to forgive him for that.
Refs won't think much of his rants either.

Or maybe that's a blessing in disguise - take the heat off of Burrows by having the Refs looks at Prust more.:naughty:

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
All of this is true, but Prust is 31 years old and is also a UFA next season. Even if we are successful in re-signing Prust, how many more years before he goes into decline? We know what Burrow and Bieksa were like as 30-31 year olds, and we know what Burrows and Bieksa are like as 33-34 year olds.

BEFORE he goes into decline?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
@VanCanucks: Derek Dorsett sent Benning a text saying "Thank You" for the Prust signing. #Canucks

I hate this team

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
KASSIAN is great when he gets playing time.
Our coaches are stupid and want him to be a grinder, he's much better than that.

Not true. At all.

He got playing time, he got to play with the Twins and be a top-6 player and he flat out didn't produce.

Everyone put their hope and bought into the hype of Kassian when he came from Buffalo and he never developed into the player we all wanted him to be. He's soft, has injury problems, isn't a smart player and never turned into the player he supposed to be.

He had flashes of brilliance but never put it together. He had 3 and a half seasons to prove his worth and he didn't do it. Add that to the off ice stuff and it's more than enough for me to not have sympathy for him on his way out. The return isn't great, but I think it was time to part ways with Kass.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
This team will be horrible but they are gonna tank one year too late.

Please explain why.

Goaltending still has the potential to be as good as it was last season.

Defense is a bit downgraded but younger.

Offense hasn't changed much, Kassian wasn't a big part of the team due to all the injuries he had. If Baertschi can step into a top 6 role effectively the Canucks could be better offensively.

Sharks haven't improved, Oilers still have unproven goalies and a patchwork defense to along with a forward group that has proven to be defensively inept. Flames made a step forward on paper, but are still young and I'm not sold on their offensive depth and goaltending. If Lucic finds his game the Kings could be a force but that's a big if, I really don't think the Kings are as good as people make them out to be anymore. Coyotes are still a mess.

The Canucks will still be a team in the hunt for the playoffs and in the mix with teams like the Flames, Sharks, and Kings.

Armada

Nov 21, 2013
You guys are gonna love Prust, but he has injury problem, it seem like his body is letting him down and that's why we trade him. He might be finished..., but if he has couple of years left in him it's not bad of a deal. Kassian seem like another Eller, inconsistant.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
As a reminder:

Discussion of wanting to follow another team will be viewed as trolling the Canucks forum. Canucks fans are entitled to their opinions, positive or negative, but actively rooting against the team will not be allowed on the Canucks forum per the site rules.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Benning you moron. You've been talking to teams all year about Kassian and that's the best you can do? I'm annoyed.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
Please explain why.

Defense is a bit downgraded but younger.

Offense hasn't changed much, Kassian wasn't a big part of the team due to all the injuries he had. If Baertschi can step into a top 6 role effectively the Canucks could be better offensively.

Sharks haven't improved, Oilers still have unproven goalies and a patchwork defense to along with a forward group that has proven to be defensively inept. Flames made a step forward on paper, but are still young and I'm not sold on their offensive depth and goaltending. If Lucic finds his game the Kings could be a force but that's a big if, I really don't think the Kings are as good as people make them out to be anymore. Coyotes are still a mess.

The Canucks will still be a team in the hunt for the playoffs and in the mix with teams like the Flames, Sharks, and Kings.

We are an injury away from Markstrom as our starter with Cannata or the new guy as a backup. The goaltending position is far from where it should be.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Why is there no date on that article? He said "in the past", so depending on the date of the article it means Kassian probably played through whatever back issues he was having. And no surprise, it makes no mention of "tennis ball sized lumps", just says lumps.

Lumps on the lower back can be anything from the result of innocuous muscle spasms, to swollen lymph nodes, to fatal cancer. That doesn't mean anything. It certainly doesn't mean he couldn't play in the playoffs. You better believe if it was Henrik Sedin with the same issues, he'd have been playing.

TVA called Burrows to get his thoughts on the trade. The date on the article is today. Burrows says "tennis ball sized lumps" in the interview, it's just not quoted in the text. You need to give it up and apologize to the poster you called a liar.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007

True but it has a far greater potential be alot worse. Miller will have a tougher schedule/load this upcoming season (and he ain't getting any younger). Markstrom hasn't proven anything at the NHL level yet.

The Jesus*

TVA called Burrows to get his thoughts on the trade. The date on the article is today. Burrows says "tennis ball sized lumps" in the interview, it's just not quoted in the text. You need to give it up and apologize to the poster you called a liar.

Eh, still not buying it. Im glad they found the source though, so I have no problems admitting burrows did mention lumps. It still changes nothing however. I remain adamant that if it was Henrik Sedin with the same issues, he would have played during the playoffs. Lots of players have back issues, and I've never once seen a player miss months of a season and then an entire series in the playoffs because of "back stiffness"

So when I called him being sat in the playoffs as an impending trade, either Im wrong and got lucky. Or I was right. Im pretty confident it's the latter, especially considering how many other players played through very serious injuries in previous playoff runs. Certainly more serious than "back stiffness"

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
TSN Panel believes we won the trade hands down?

http://www.tsn.ca/canucks-deal-kassian-pick-to-habs-for-prust-1.323023.

They appear to be very negative about Kassian while very pro Prust.

Again - I like Prust.....a lot. However - his age and 1 year contract makes this deal a concern to me.

The only way this deal works for me, is if Prust REALLY takes Virtanen under his wing and molds the kid into the player that we know he can be.

Lots of stars and moons have to align here. I hope Benning knows what he's doing.

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013

I won't hold my breathe for that apology.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
http://www.tsn.ca/canucks-deal-kassian-pick-to-habs-for-prust-1.323023.

They appear to be very negative about Kassian while very pro Prust.

Again - I like Prust.....a lot. However - his age and 1 year contract makes this deal a concern to me.

The only way this deal works for me, is if Prust REALLY takes Virtanen under his wing and molds the kid into the player that we know he can be.

Lots of stars and moons have to align here. I hope Benning knows what he's doing.

I hope Benning is fired and a real GM who knows what he is doing can make the best of this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad