Confirmed with Link: [VAN/MTL] Canucks acquire G Casey DeSmith for F Tanner Pearson, 3rd Round Pick

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
there is a lot wrong with the arrogant passive aggressive nonsense you just posted too that i could readily tie into what is wrong with internet culture. we could be here all day if you want, but why don't we both let's just let history decide which of us is wrong on the bigger picture stuff and stick to discussing hockey? we already disagree quite enough over that. no need to expand our horizons.
Fair enough!

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I sincerely hope Pearson is ok but also that he exposes the team

I think he is ok. But Dhaliwal was the one reporting that there was bad blood between Pearson and Canucks management and Pearson doesn't want to talk about his wrist. I suspect that is the reason he turned down the Dhaliwal interview.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
I think he is ok. But Dhaliwal was the one reporting that there was bad blood between Pearson and Canucks management and Pearson doesn't want to talk about his wrist. I suspect that is the reason he turned down the Dhaliwal interview.

That'd be my guess, and Pearson too classy a guy to want to get into any negative feelings with a former team.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
No disagreement here. Hence why I said DeSmith's value was between negative to a late round pick.

I'm surprised at his GSAA assuming it's accurate. Penguins fans seem to think he sucks.

I don't consider age a factor for veterans on a one year contract coming off a good number of regular season and playoff games (i.e. there's a good sample size to evaluate signs of decline). Obviously a goalie who has shown significant decline last season at age 35+ would be a different story.

It was reported by Friedman, echoed by Dhaliwal and Shah etc. also had a similar understanding that Myers was worth an asset. They did not mention the need to retain salary or need to throw in a sweetener. The way Friedman worded things is the Canucks have set a price for Myers and if you are willing to pay it then talk to them otherwise don't bother. I don't think how anyone can interpret that as the Canucks unable to trade Myers for a minimal return. They might need to take back an expiring contract to make it work but that's not the same as requiring a sweetener or needing to retain significant salary.

@MS, Myers was coming off a surprisingly good season in summer 2022. Last year he sucked again. Personally, I think the Canucks looked at their roster and didn't think they can replace Myers so chose to keep him. Keep in mind that our right side basically had Schenn and Myers before we went out and acquired Bear.

I'am not sure the Penguins fans have the same standards we do. At points during their runs they had both Murray and Fleury as backups (I think). They are used to back ups winning Cups. He looked pretty decent in games I watched and his numbers are strong. I'm feeling real gud about this acquisition. Way better than Spencer Martin, a worse performance I have not seen in a long long time. Anyone would have been better but we actually got a very solid backup I believe.

Playoffs ... you talking about playoffs? :thumbu:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I'am not sure the Penguins fans have the same standards we do.

They haven't had to endure .890 backup goaltending for most of the past three seasons.

We would have killed for .905 backup goaltending, a career low for CDS at any level he's ever played at.

Reactions: Nick Lang

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Yup. In Calgary against the Flames.

If you want, turn on Sportsnet right now and watch Kings vs Coyotes in Australia.

Thanks Vector, you are a great wealth of information my friend! Appreciate all the kickass work you do.

Cheers, but I will not so respectfully decline. Move the Yotes to Australia, cowards

Haha, priceless.

TIL that coyotes are not found in Australia. Import another invasive species to Australia, cowards!

The Australia Arizona Coyote Kangaroos

42 games in Mullet arena
42 played in the outback capture the flag overnight survival style

Gotta adapt and look for new opportunities in the new NHL

Reactions: Vector

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Thanks Vector, you are a great wealth of information my friend! Appreciate all the kickass work you do.

Haha, priceless.

The Australia Arizona Coyote Kangaroos

42 games in Mullet arena
42 played in the outback capture the flag overnight survival style

Gotta adapt and look for new opportunities in the new NHL
Mad Max: away game warrior

• Haha
Reactions: Nick Lang

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
1. I never said CDS should be chased out of the league. If you want to falsely attribute things to me, then that's on you. In a separate post, I said have no personal opinion on him in 2023. What I'm saying is, if people want to judge him for his past actions, that's their right. CDS assaulted someone, was arrested and charged for it, and took a plea deal. Whatever judgement people cast on him, well, it's his fault.

2. Again, in another post in this thread, I expanded my thoughts further. Obviously it's not good if people get away with this stuff. Which is why I said in another post that social media exposing these things is good, because in the past it was way too easy to bury and hide it.

3. CDS isn't "cancelled" my guy. He's under contract in the NHL. I can assure you that actual assault and abuse is a way bigger issue than "cancel culture".

4. Once again, people who want to give 2nd chances to others can totally do that if they want. They can also choose to give 1st or 2nd or 3rd chances to people that haven't assaulted someone else.

Bro, CDS ain't cancelled man.
Why do you keep saying "assault" when he was never charged with that?

You're just making things up to justify your position.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I see the Hockey Writers for the Capitals are beating up on management for not entering the 'DeSmith sweepstakes'.....they're heading into the season with the tandem of Darcy Kuemper and Charlie Lindgren, and feel DeSmith would have been a significant upgrade as the backup.

They argued that the Caps could have easily come up with a much better offer. And now Canucks Army is speculating that one of the Canucks surplus goalies might find their way to Colorado, which just got some bad injury news on Pavel Francouz.

I love it when the Canucks make trades that actually make sense.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Pearson is a solid citizen. I hope he can have a good year in Montreal and prolong his career.

There is a lot of work to be done with the group of wingers they have as it’s an absolute shit mix. Some serious improvement from Hoglander and Podkolzin would go a long way to changing the look of this team.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think it’s quite ironic how far leftists are for prison reform and rehabilitation yet are quick to shun and discard those same type of people from society.

I don't think you know what "far leftists" actually are tbh.

habs fans are liking pearson in camp.

Weird. I figured he was gonna be completely useless at this point. But cool. That's nice for them. If he actually comes back and plays well enough to be a trade deadline chip for an additional late pick, that'd really help Montreal's end of this deal that feels otherwise fairly light for them.

Reactions: Lindgren

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
DeSmith's shutout is the first by a Canucks' back-up in 6 years according to yesterday's broadcast.

I thought for sure Martin or Demko had one.

Speaking of Demko, Demko entered this season with 3 career shutouts (he now has 5). I am shocked

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I thought for sure Martin or Demko had one.

Speaking of Demko, Demko entered this season with 3 career shutouts (he now has 5). I am shocked
Really after the past regime in the past coaches? You're really surprised... ahh nevermind :P

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Really after the past regime in the past coaches? You're really surprised... ahh nevermind :P

Well yes. I am shocked at the low number of shutouts Demko has had in his career given the performances he has had over the years.

But I guess I haven’t been paying attention for a while. It looks like teams rarely get shutout these days. Like Ullmark only had 2 shutouts last season which is shocking to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad