Proposal: Van Halen's "Dump": VAN + DET

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
The bones of a trade I would jump at would be:

Demko + Eriksson.

We can debate if picks are needed or whatever to even out value.
But if I was Yzerman, that would be easily worth it. And I would probably even add.

Reactions: njx9 and Cogburn

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I tend to agree with you, but:

1. nobody thought Toronto would be a lottery team picking #13 when they traded their pick to dump Marleau.
2. The poster asked for an unprotected 1st and as we’ve seen, non bottom 10 teams have lucked into the top 3 in recent years.

I think Van will be a playoff team, but you never know. I doubt Van would trade an unprotected 1st anyhow.

I agree with this. Some guys could regress it has been known to happen, and injuries can derail even the best teams in any given year. Look at Tampa, even with the roster they have had in some recent years, they somehow have years with pretty good talent where they didn't even make the playoffs, and I think they were a better team(s) than the current Canucks.

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
Where have you been? This isn't 2011-2016 era Red Wings, we have been swimming in space lately and especially this offseason.

Also, @Perennial what is your obsession with making Wings trades lately. This seems like your 30th Wings trade thread in 2 weeks.

That said:

1) Not even close to enough to take Eriksson

2) I would actually probably do this one
Where have you been? You and 25 other people already told me about Detroit’s cap and I already said my bad.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Eriksson for Nielsen?

Why is that appealing for Detroit? Nielsen's cap hit is irrelevant and he at least "plays" C. Eriksson is a net negative on our roster (one worth taking if we were getting something good back, to be fair).

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Why is that appealing for Detroit? Nielsen's cap hit is irrelevant and he at least "plays" C. Eriksson is a net negative on our roster (one worth taking if we were getting something good back, to be fair).

Both players are terrible and have similar production the last two seasons. Figured with Rasmussen, Valeno, Glendening and Filpulla you didn't need Nielsen to play C? Eriksson also makes less cash which might be appealing.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Both players are terrible and have similar production the last two seasons. Figured with Rasmussen, Valeno, Glendening and Filpulla you didn't need Nielsen to play C? Eriksson also makes less cash which might be appealing.

I think it's more useful for the team to have a guy it can rotate to C if it needs to take pressure off Veleno (for instance), than to add to the roster logjam at W (especially with another vet who won't be contributing much). And that's without getting into Ras' future (I think he's a career winger) or how Veleno will be used next season.

I suppose it remains to be seen how Chris will run the team long term, but it's hard to imagine that the 8th most valuable team, with a pretty broad fan base, is going to start Melnyk'ing the GM.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
You would take on Eriksson for a late 1st?

Generous...
I mean sure, NJ has cap space to spare and it’s not the poster’s money. Some version of the Schneider and Erickson swap where Van gets to buy out a contract w/ kinder cap hits while NJ saves money makes the most sense to me but some people have big dreams of the Devils taking on millions in salaries to provide cap relief for others just for sweet sweet futures.

johnsic

Nov 12, 2009
I would rather trade Nielsen/Abdelkader for Steen, Bozak and Gunnarsson or Baertschi and Sutter. Wings would take salary this year to free it next year.

Nov 1, 2011
I’m willing to gamble Vancouver exceeded their potential this year and that pick could be a top 10.

I could see it.

Vancouver doesn't make the playoffs if there was an 82 game season.

The overhype is huge here.

Reactions: devils29

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad