Proposal: Van Halen's "Dump": VAN + DET

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
Markstrom will be, hands down, our most expensive piece. We can resign him and make room for it, or we can walk away, neither is really a gain for cap.

If we choose to roll with Demko+Domingue(or whoever), we don't need as much cap space. 20.5 million (Ferland is on LTIR again...) to resign Toffoli, Tanev, Virtanen, Stecher, Gaudette, Motte, MacEwen, Domingue and Fantenberg (or replacements) before we move players like Rathbone into the minors (or who ever we cut to make room for him). Even with our overdue bonuses to pay, the need to dump cap goes way down if Markstrom is either walked away from, or if we move Demko+Eriksson to make room for Markstroms new contract.

If we go with Demko, we no longer need to dump cap in anywhere near the same urgent fashion as we would with Markstrom staying.
In an ideal world for the Nucks, Demko would have already proven he can handle 50+ games and they let Markstrom walk. It's the cheaper option that also has the most long-term potential. However, I highly doubt they can take a risk on a legit cup run as early as next year by betting on Demko. Demko+Eriksson for late 2nd rounder opens the door to sign Markstrom and keep their other key UFAs.

Reactions: Cogburn

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
In an ideal world for the Nucks, Demko would have already proven he can handle 50+ games and they let Markstrom walk. It's the cheaper option that also has the most long-term potential. However, I highly doubt they can take a risk on a legit cup run as early as next year by betting on Demko. Demko+Eriksson for late 2nd rounder opens the door to sign Markstrom and keep their other key UFAs.

I think they could. Could, not will, not should. As I've made clear, I'm a big Demko fan, but even I see it isn't a prudent move with the information we have as fans.

But you're right. I just want them to pick a direction. Dump Eriksson and sign Markstrom, or let Markstrom walk and insulate Demko...by dumping cap and getting some better D and a good back up.

Keeping both will cost us in terms of assets through trade, lost assets through UFA, or wins next year.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Not bottom 10 rough. Not a chance.
I tend to agree with you, but:

1. nobody thought Toronto would be a lottery team picking #13 when they traded their pick to dump Marleau.
2. The poster asked for an unprotected 1st and as we’ve seen, non bottom 10 teams have lucked into the top 3 in recent years.

I think Van will be a playoff team, but you never know. I doubt Van would trade an unprotected 1st anyhow.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Pretty sure Det doesn’t have the cap space to do either trade. That being said I’d do Eriksson to NJ for your 2021 unprotected 1st straight up. So Eriksson +1st for future considerations basically

Larkin - $6.1M
Nielsen - $5.25M
Abdelkader - $4.25M
Helm - $3.85M
Filppula - $3M
Fabbri - $2.95M
Glendening - $1.8M
Zadina - $895K
Rasmussen - $895K

Dekeyser - $5M
Nemeth - $3M
Seider - $925K
Biega - $875K
Lindstrom - $775K
Hronek - $715K

Bernier - $3M

Weiss - $1.67M (Buyout)
Zetterberg - $6.1M (LTIR)

Detroit could sign Mantha and Bertuzzi both to maximum contracts ($16.3M each) and still have $4M left in cap space. :laugh:

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
You would take on Eriksson for a late 1st?

Generous...

I probably would. The man is not very good but can play bottom six and pk decently enough and it's not like we're going to compete next season anyway. But i'd ask that it would be an unprotected first.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I probably would. The man is not very good but can play bottom six and pk decently enough and it's not like we're going to compete next season anyway. But i'd ask that it would be an unprotected first.

After seeing Ottawa f*** up with Colorado and then San Jose f*** up with Ottawa, I doubt you're gonna see an unprotected first traded for a very long time, unless it's a team like Tampa or Colorado or Edmonton that obviously isn't getting good lottery odds. Certainly not for a cap dump.

Reactions: PettersonHughes

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
First offer is a no go for Detroit, Juolevi+2nd for 2 x $6,000,000 on Eriksson isn't enough. Eriksson+Vancouver's 2021 1st round pick or Eriksson+Demko+Vancouver's 2021 3rd round pick for Filppula or pick #187 is closer to fair.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
First offer is a no go for Detroit, Juolevi+2nd for 2 x $6,000,000 on Eriksson isn't enough. Eriksson+Vancouver's 2021 1st round pick or Eriksson+Demko+Vancouver's 2021 3rd round pick for Filppula or pick #187 is closer to fair.

It wasn't an offer, it was a proposal... and that proposal has the Red Wings dumping Filppula as well... you seem to have forgotten to include him in your valuation

Secondly, you're giving your opinion as if it's a fact... which it isn't... it's just your opinion

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Secondly, you're giving your opinion as if it's a fact... which it isn't... it's just your opinion

7907c0f0bc519996b71794b0ca3602de.gif

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
Virtually every important player on their roster is under 25 and trending up so this is quite a take
Thus it being a gamble I’m willing to take. Me and another Vancouver fan already pointed out what could lead to a potential set back so if you’d like to scroll back and read them feel free

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Virtually every important player on their roster is under 25 and trending up so this is quite a take

There's still sophomore slump potential, but I wouldn't bet on Vancouver being bottom 10. Especially considering how bad the Pacific Division is. And I certainly doubt they'd not protect a top 10 pick over a cap dump.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Thus it being a gamble I’m willing to take. Me and another Vancouver fan already pointed out what could lead to a potential set back so if you’d like to scroll back and read them feel free

I'm with you...

It's a gamble worth taking... New Jersey is near the cap floor, and won't be competing for free-agents anytime soon, so if they don't take the deal, some other team will benefit from it

Reactions: devils29

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I'd do the 2nd trade but the 1st one isn't good enough for Detroit, they have no need to shed Filppula's contract and subtract from their return for taking on Eriksson

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Who has drop dead legs eho will leave me black and blue then take me to see the ice cream man and make me jump

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
It wasn't an offer, it was a proposal... and that proposal has the Red Wings dumping Filppula as well... you seem to have forgotten to include him in your valuation

• Okay 1st proposal isn't good enough, Don't really care about Filppula he's on the team regardless. Even if Eriksson waived to Detroit he isn't going to be on the roster he'd be in GR just like Abdelkader will and Juolevi+2nd round pick aren't nearly enough to take on 2 years of Eriksson. The 2nd proposal is fair or something around Demko+3rd round pick if Benning resigns Markstrom would be the ask.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
After seeing Ottawa f*** up with Colorado and then San Jose f*** up with Ottawa, I doubt you're gonna see an unprotected first traded for a very long time, unless it's a team like Tampa or Colorado or Edmonton that obviously isn't getting good lottery odds. Certainly not for a cap dump.

Well if the pick is to be protected i'd want something more in return honestly. I'd probably be looking over at Demko/Gaudette/Virtannen to come with the pick. I think that Virtannen is the less expensive piece here and depinding of the piece that goes along with the pick the better the protection would become. Just spitballing here and my value might be way off base (so if any Vancouver fan would fill me in where they place these players in terms of value i'd appreciate that).

Eriksson + 1st + player
-Virtannen = Top 3 protected
-Gaudette = Top 5 protected
-Demko = Top 10 protected.

Not sure if i undervalue Gaudette or not honestly.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Trade #1

Loui Eriksson
for
Cory Schneider

Both 2 years left at a Cap hit if $6,000,000 per.
Eriksson will cost an actual $5,000,000 over the next 2 years
Schneider $12,000,000, but Schneider has a $2,000,000 X 4 Butout option

Both teams win.......no asset exchange

Trade #2

Brent Sutter $1,000,000 retained + Michael DiPietro/Lukus Jasek/2021-3rd
for
Detroit's 2021-4th

Trade #3

Sven Baertschi $500,000 retained + Michael DiPietro/Lukus Jasek/2021-4rd
for
Detroit's 2021-5th

Both Sutter and Baertschi are servicable and better than Detroits out going veterans

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Trade #1

Loui Eriksson
for
Cory Schneider

Both 2 years left at a Cap hit if $6,000,000 per.
Eriksson will cost an actual $5,000,000 over the next 2 years
Schneider $12,000,000, but Schneider has a $2,000,000 X 4 Butout option

Both teams win.......no asset exchange

Trade #2

Brent Sutter $1,000,000 retained + Michael DiPietro/Lukus Jasek/2021-3rd
for
Detroit's 2021-4th

Trade #3

Sven Baertschi $500,000 retained + Michael DiPietro/Lukus Jasek/2021-4rd
for
Detroit's 2021-5th

Both Sutter and Baertschi are servicable and better than Detroits out going veterans

Detroit really doesn't need VAN to retain any of that cap.

... And it's highly unlikely that Detroit's taking that cap on for what will likely amount to a non-NHL player or moving up 10-15 spots in late rounds.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Benning has already said categorically the he isn't surrendering any more draft picks to get out from under some of his under-performing bottom of the roster forwards like Eriksson.

But if I'm Detroit, I'm all over Thatcher Demko. For a team in the earliest throes of a rebuild, gaining a young, potential franchise goalie on a cost-controlled $1m contract is something Yzerman should pursue. But it's going to cost them--in terms of taking on an expensive contract from the Canucks.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Pretty sure Det doesn’t have the cap space to do either trade. That being said I’d do Eriksson to NJ for your 2021 unprotected 1st straight up. So Eriksson +1st for future considerations basically

Where have you been? This isn't 2011-2016 era Red Wings, we have been swimming in space lately and especially this offseason.

Also, @Perennial what is your obsession with making Wings trades lately. This seems like your 30th Wings trade thread in 2 weeks.

That said:

1) Not even close to enough to take Eriksson

2) I would actually probably do this one

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad