Proposal: Van Halen's "Dump": VAN + DET

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Option #1

To Vancouver: Filppula

To Detroit: 2021 2nd, Juolevi, Eriksson

Vancouver clears 3 million from their cap next season, and 6 million the following year

Detroit lands a young Dman with upside, plus a 2nd rd pick in next year's draft. Eriksson's cap hit is 6 million, but his actual pay is 4 million each of the next 2 seasons

Option #2

To Vancouver: #187

To Detroit: 2021 1st, Juolevi, Eriksson

Vancouver clears 6 million from their cap next season, and 6 million the following year

Detroit lands a young Dman with upside, plus a 1st rd pick in next year's draft. Eriksson's cap hit is 6 million, but his actual pay is 4 million each of the next 2 seasons

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
Pretty sure Det doesn’t have the cap space to do either trade. That being said I’d do Eriksson to NJ for your 2021 unprotected 1st straight up. So Eriksson +1st for future considerations basically

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Pretty sure Det doesn’t have the cap space to do either trade. That being said I’d do Eriksson to NJ for your 2021 unprotected 1st straight up. So Eriksson +1st for future considerations basically

Detroit has Franzen, Howard, Ericsson, Daley, Gagner, and Brodziak all coming off the books this year, which is about 19 million in cap space...

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

You would take on Eriksson for a late 1st?

Generous...

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
Detroit has Franzen, Howard, Ericsson, Daley, Gagner, and Brodziak all coming off the books this year, which is about 19 million in cap space...
Oh nice. I thought you guys had some cap problems. I stand corrected.

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
What in the world :laugh:
I’m sure San Jose or Ottawa didn’t think they would regress either after trading an unprotected 1st. Canucks were in 8th place in the west before covid hit few games here or there and they could’ve missed the playoffs. If you are so confident in them then you should have no problem trading next years 1st unprotected

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
I’m sure San Jose or Ottawa didn’t think they would regress either after trading an unprotected 1st. Canucks were in 8th place in the west before covid hit few games here or there and they could’ve missed the playoffs. If you are so confident in them then you should have no problem trading next years 1st unprotected
Canucks are a team on the rise and are only getting better. You’re fooling yourself if you think we will be bottom 10 in the league next year, I’d bet my life savings on it.

That’s just a stupid argument. I don’t want to trade picks for shedding salary because there’s other ways of doing so. Not because I don’t think we’ll make the playoffs :facepalm: Id rather use that 1st for a rental in a playoff push.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
Canucks are a team on the rise and are only getting better. You’re fooling yourself if you think we will be bottom 10 in the league next year, I’d bet my life savings on it.

That’s just a stupid argument. I don’t want to trade picks for shedding salary because there’s other ways of doing so. Not because I don’t think we’ll make the playoffs :facepalm: Id rather use that 1st for a rental in a playoff push.
What are other ways of shedding Loui Eriksson. And fine then go ahead and think I’m a fool but it’s entirely possible no matter how much you think it’s not

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
It’s entirely possible, if Benning doesn’t address the defense.

Letting Tanev walk and trying to replace him with another poor FA signing or internally could put the team in rough shape.
Agreed. Guys gotta figure out what you want to do with goalies and also hope guys who had career years continue to play like that

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
Agreed. Guys gotta figure out what you want to do with goalies and also hope guys who had career years continue to play like that

It’s not like a bunch of random guys had career years lol. Unless you don’t think Pettersson and Hughes continue on this trajectory in which well...

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Demko+Eriksson for what ever contract slot or trinket the Red Wings want to send back has been pretty well received when Detroit fans have offered it.

Assuming we choose Markstrom going forward, of course.

Why mess with success?

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
It’s not like a bunch of random guys had career years lol. Unless you don’t think Pettersson and Hughes continue on this trajectory in which well...
Nah I’m talking more like Miller/Pearsson. Guys had extremely good years. If you think they stay the course production wise I understand but could also see them regressing a bit

teemussalami

Mar 10, 2016
Oh nice. I thought you guys had some cap problems. I stand corrected.

DET has 34mil in cap space currently not including new contracts for Mantha, Bertuzzi and Bowey? plus misc. roster fillers. They have a TON of space this year and next year. They can afford to take on some bad contracts.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Demko+Eriksson for what ever contract slot or trinket the Red Wings want to send back has been pretty well received when Detroit fans have offered it.

Assuming we choose Markstrom going forward, of course.

Why mess with success?

I think Markstrom will be looking at 6+ million, so his contract would essentially replace Eriksson's...

Personally, I think they'd be better off going with Demko, and then using that additional cap space to retain their key free-agents...

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I think Markstrom will be looking at 6+ million, so his contract would essentially replace Eriksson's...

Personally, I think they'd be better off going with Demko, and then using that additional cap space to retain their key free-agents...

Markstrom will be, hands down, our most expensive piece. We can resign him and make room for it, or we can walk away, neither is really a gain for cap.

If we choose to roll with Demko+Domingue(or whoever), we don't need as much cap space. 20.5 million (Ferland is on LTIR again...) to resign Toffoli, Tanev, Virtanen, Stecher, Gaudette, Motte, MacEwen, Domingue and Fantenberg (or replacements) before we move players like Rathbone into the minors (or who ever we cut to make room for him). Even with our overdue bonuses to pay, the need to dump cap goes way down if Markstrom is either walked away from, or if we move Demko+Eriksson to make room for Markstroms new contract.

If we go with Demko, we no longer need to dump cap in anywhere near the same urgent fashion as we would with Markstrom staying.

Reactions: Tetsuo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad