Confirmed with Link: [VAN/FLA] R. Luongo (15% retained) + S. Anthony for J. Markstrom + S. Matthias

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
"Schneider is going to be a starter forever. Think about that" - Pierre Maguire.

I blame Gillis and the scouting staff for not knowing Schneider was immortal.

Lol, there's no middle ground with Pierre. It's all the way good, or all the way bad. I'll just take it as a fair deal (his impression), when he says outlandish stuff like "FLA just traded their best prospect".

Rick Rocket

Regetstred User
May 22, 2008
Im pretty high on Markstrom and I have little doubt he will develop into the goaltender he was expected to become. I wish Gillis could have gotten a little more; a pick or prospect like Howden on top of Markstrom

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
Im pretty high on Markstrom and I have little doubt he will develop into the goaltender he was expected to become. I wish Gillis could have gotten a little more; a pick or prospect like Howden on top of Markstrom

no chance we would get a pick or a prospect since Luongo value is not high......but we still got Mattias who could be a good third line center

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver

If we wanted Howden, why trade that pick in the Ballard deal. Canuck management wasn't even high on him

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
If we wanted Howden, why trade that pick in the Ballard deal. Canuck management wasn't even high on him

Ballard deal isn't as bad as people want to believe it is.

AV ruined him. We traded a 4th liner, an overpaid 3rd liner who NYI fans don't really like, and Howden, who looks like no more than a 4c, or career AHLer

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Went about as well as I thought it would. Wrote that Lu wouldn't last 2 years here once Schneider was dealt. Was 16 months too generous.

Poor return was ordained the moment that contract got inked. Prediction: teams that signed forwards to those front-loaded mega deals will fare even worse. On the bright side at least with Mattias-Laine-Sestito we'll have the biggest 4th line in hockey.

Recapture penalties are no biggie (unless its year 22) since middling and sub-par teams have no business being near the cap.

Goaltending is devalued in this league. Almost everybody has a good one and tight D systems make them look better still. The big bodied tenders will do OK if our defence stays decent. Pierre sure sounds pumped about Markstrom and goalies take even longer than D to develop.

Finally, having no veteran goalies ought to be lowest on the totem pole of concerns for a team that has no first line players and will soon deal the only legit top 6 left.

Konflickter

Jul 6, 2011
Burnaby
Hodgson has been lights out for Buf??

What was the bad drafting in the last few years? Horvat was a solid pick.

Don't you think you're conflating different issues to come to a single conclusion? Probably not since you're thinking with your heart and not your cognitive skills.

The fact that no one drafted since MG took over except for Schroeder is playing for them right now. The drafting is part of the reason why they're in this mess.

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
well i literally face palmed when I heard this as i was out today.
so basically they traded the best goalie tandem in the league for: bo horvat, matthias, and markstrom + retaining salary.

and the only thing worthy in that bunch is a prospect who might be a #2 centre one day. well done gillis, brilliant asset management. i'm hoping for him to be fired but at this point he seems to be aquilini's sycophantic "yes" man.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Yes, you stick with excellence and experience.

Well if the Canucks are set to enter a re-build, why keep a player like Luongo around? He doesn't want to be here and the situation would just get even more toxic in a re-build. It's clear Luongo had very little value. Gillis was able to get a top prospect in return for Schneider and still has a young stud goalie in Eddie Lack. I think some people around here vastly overrate the trade value of goaltenders around the league.

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
If neither Lack or Markstrom pans out like planned.... goalie graveyard 2.0

This goalie graveyard talk is so dumb. It's the exact opposite of it's origin. Luongo, Schneider and Lack have all played incredible hockey in the Canuck crease.

It's a total insult to those of us who had to sit through Snow, Weekes, Michaud, Schwab, Potvin, Cloutier, Brochu and Skudra.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
This goalie graveyard talk is so dumb. It's the exact opposite of it's origin. Luongo, Schneider and Lack have all played incredible hockey in the Canuck crease.

It's a total insult to those of us who had to sit through Snow, Weekes, Michaud, Schwab, Potvin, Cloutier, Brochu and Skudra.

I'm honestly not sure if it's because fans are now spoiled or because they have blacked out what the Canucks used to be like... but as mentioned Vancouver was a 'goalie graveyard' because they'd either:

a) Pick up goalies at the end of mediocre careers

or

b) Guys who were never good

Nucks goal-tending scouting and development has been top notch for some time... but they trade two guys (granted they forced themselves into terrible situations to have to make the calls) and now the goal-tending situation is suddenly awful... Yet no one points out our current starter has let in 1 or 0 goals in almost half his NHL starts....

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
I'm honestly not sure if it's because fans are now spoiled or because they have blacked out what the Canucks used to be like... but as mentioned Vancouver was a 'goalie graveyard' because they'd either:

a) Pick up goalies at the end of mediocre careers

or

b) Guys who were never good

Nucks goal-tending scouting and development has been top notch for some time... but they trade two guys (granted they forced themselves into terrible situations to have to make the calls) and now the goal-tending situation is suddenly awful... Yet no one points out our current starter has let in 1 or 0 goals in almost half his NHL starts....

If Lack showed up between 1998 and 2004 we'd all be driving to work on the Lack Expressway by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad