Confirmed with Link: [VAN/FLA] Luongo, Anthony for Matthias, Markstrom - Pt. 2

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
I don't think this speaks to Lack's suitability as a prospect, but 7 goals in one period is epic level bad. In fact, I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of goalies who have the talent to reach the pros has NEVER let in 7 goals in one period.

He did not look good on a single goal against. I'm not sure why Tortorella left him in there for 'bouncing back' because I definitely didn't see it.

While FAN is definitely premature in his assessments, I think this shows us how much the pressure of being the starter and the difference in routine and workload can change a goalie's game.

But let's not pretend every goalie has a 7 goal period. Probably every goalie has had a 7-8 goal game. But not one period.

Is Lack to blame on the empty net goal? Has a goalie ever looked good on a goal against? Are you somehow saying that giving up 6 goals in a period proves that Lack is not a good goalie and never will be? How many did Patrick Roy give up to Detroit the game that got him traded. He seemed to bounce back. Schneider has 12 victories this year!! Luongo was losing his starting position to Lack. These two goalies have not shown us they are stars on other teams. Let's not lament their lose until they do so. If Luongo get Florida in the playoffs and Schneider wins 40 games next year, while Lack struggles great complain. Until that time it is premature. Right now we seem to have a good goalie who has won the team a number of games and kept them in games they had no business being in. Everyone talks about the NYL, Dallas and Washington games how about the Phx, Calgary, Winnipeg games they could have lost all of those as well without Lack playing well, but the media and posters have a certain story they want to tell. Doesn't anyone think Lack cost them the Ottawa or Dallas games. Even the NYI games was a team lost, i didn't see the Washington game, but Lack has been great this year and only okay in the last 5 games.

I have heard lots about this theory of a experience backup with a young starter being the way to go. Why? Are they multiple cases of this working somewhere? They have goalie coaches now a days the need for a vetern goalie to lean on it overblown. However a backup they could give a start to would be useful.

JA

Just some trivia:

The goaltender who last allowed 7 goals in one period as a Canuck was Frank Caprice on November 8, 1985. The Oilers won 13-0. Dave Lumley, who finished that season with 8 goals in 48 games, scored a hat trick that night.
Edmonton 13, Vancouver 0
The Globe and Mail [Toronto, Ont] 09 Nov 1985: C.2.

Raimo Summanen and Jari Kurri scored on two of the game's first three shots to ignite a four-goal Edmonton first period and propel the Oilers to a 13-0 victory over the Vancouver Canucks... Goaltender Andy Moog kicked out 25 shots, 17 in a hectic second period, to record Edmonton's first shutout of the season. He faced only three shots in the third, when the Oilers didn't allow Vancouver any skating room... The victory was Edmonton's most lopsided in its NHL history.

Dave Lumley had three goals and two assists for Edmonton and Kurri had two goals each. Craig McTavish, Mark Messier, Glenn Anderson, Dave Hunter, Mike Krushelnyski, Mark Napier and Lee Fogolin ran up the Edmonton scoring... The Oilers, who had to fight for a 6-4 victory in Vancouver in midweek, jumped on the Canucks early, rattled goaltender Frank Caprice and then simply added to their score as the game progressed... The victory moved Edmonton eight points ahead of the second- place Calgary Flames in the Pacific (Smythe) Division. The loss left Vancouver third, one point behind Calgary.

Edmonton 13, Vancouver 0, At EDMONTON

First Period... 1. Edmonton, Summanen 5th (McTavish, Smith) 2:36 2. Edmonton, Kurri 9th (Gretzky, Semenko) 6:17 3. Edmonton, McTavish 7th (McClelland, Melnyk) 13:35 4. Edmonton, Lumley 2nd (Gretzky, Fogolin) 17:24

Penalty - Sundstrom (V) (hooking) 9:33.

Second Period... 5. Edmonton, Messier 8th (Anderson, Krushelnyski) 6:03 6. Edmonton, Kurri 10th (Gretzky) 17:40

Penalties - Smith (E) (elbowing) 3:49; (E) (bench-too many men, served by McClelland) 6:53; Coffey (E) (holding) 8:10; Napier (E) (hooking) 10:33; Melnyk (E) (holding) 14:02.

Third Period... 7. Edmonton, Anderson 13th (Messier, Coffey) 2:26 (sh) 8. Edmonton, Hunter 1st (Lumley, McTavish) 3:52 9. Edmonton, Lumley 3rd 9:13 10. Edmonton, Krushelnyski 3rd (Lumley, Napier) 15:22 11. Edmonton, Napier 2nd (Melnyk) 16:34 12. Edmonton, Fogolin 1st (Lowe) 17:56 13. Edmonton, Lumley 4th (Coffey, Gretzky) 19:47

Penalty - Melnyk (E) (tripping) 1:31

Shots on goal Vancouver 7 17 5 - 29 Edmonton 19 11 14 - 44 Goaltenders - Vancouver: Caprice; Edmonton: Moog.

Power-play Opportunites - Vancouver: 0-6; Edmonton: 0-1.

Referee - Fraser.
Linesmen - Knox, Bozak.
Attendance - 17,498.
9396763.jpg

Works Cited

"Edmonton 13, Vancouver 0." The Globe and Mail: 0. Nov 09 1985. ProQuest. Web. 15 Mar. 2014 .

Last edited by a moderator:

mangdas

May 2, 2013
Edmonton
When Luongo said.... (@ the Olympics)

Not sure if anyone recalls this but I just thought of it. Luongo was asked a question in an interview about the lack of practice time with Team Canada before getting into a game. He responded along the lines of "I'm used to it, we don't practice a lot in Vancouver".

I know he jokes around all the time and this is probably a case of that, but maybe that was a precursor of things to come? Perhaps that was a shot at Torts that he (Torts) didn't appreciate too much. After all, he didn't play once after the Olympics.

No Face No Case

Feb 28, 2012
he also tweeted that Kelser wont be allowed to leave ,making it sound like he ( Luongo) was a "prisoner".

Im glad they got rid of the cancer and his ridiculous contract and ego.

mangdas

May 2, 2013
Edmonton
he also tweeted that Kelser wont be allowed to leave ,making it sound like he ( Luongo) was a "prisoner".

That too. I was just thinking back on it, with those 2 things alone, you have to at least assume he didn't get along well with Torts or agree with his way of coaching.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver

Agreed. Luongo was starting to piss me off. What a primadona. Gillis could have easily thrown him under the bus to shed light on the whole saga, but he didn't. He kept Luongo reputation in tact. The fact that he nixed the trade to the Leafs and only wanted to go to Florida.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad