Confirmed with Link: [VAN/FLA] Luongo, Anthony for Matthias, Markstrom - Pt. 2

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Finally someone who gets it. Luongo had no trade value with his contract. Ward, Fer-canuckhater-raro, and Dreger all ranted about how the Canucks did not get enough for Luongo. The thing is........he had the worst contract in hockey, and no longer had the abilities to justify it. Add to that, he was 35 years old. Very little about Lu is desireable.

I am shocked, to be honest, that FLA took him back.

Luongo has value in Florida selling tickets though.

Go check their fan forum here and it's almost all euphoria in the trade thread. A LOT of the old Panther fans left when Luongo left (to hear the stories).

Luongo means, to that fanbase, they are getting serious again.

Last edited:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I almost forgot my favourite part of this deal.

Dreger didn't make a freaking peep about it until it was done. Because he had no clue it was happening. Nice work, T(oronto)SN Insider.

John Bender*

Dreger didn't make a freaking peep about it until it was done. Because he had no clue it was happening. Nice work, T(oronto)SN Insider.

I like how he was super quick to tweet a comparison of this deal to the Toronto offer last year. He framed it up as to say that this deal was better, but I think the point of that tweet was to poke Canuck fans..........to make them remember that they could have done a deal like this a year ago and kept Cory Schneider.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

He's not Tallon's cousin so it doesn't surprise me that he's clueless about the rest of the league. ;)

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Luongo has value in Florida selling tickets though.

Go check their fan forum here and it's almost all euphoria in the trade thread. A LOT of the old Panther fans left when Luongo left (to hear the stories).

Luongo means, to that fanbase, they are getting serious again.

Yes, the stability Luongo can bring in net + the tickets sales is big for Florida.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I like how he was super quick to tweet a comparison of this deal to the Toronto offer last year. He framed it up as to say that this deal was better, but I think the point of that tweet was to poke Canuck fans..........to make them remember that they could have done a deal like this a year ago and kept Cory Schneider.

lol - so a team that was expected THEN to make the playoffs should take a hit (salary retention) - No-nuts' cousin didn't know the Canucks would ALREADY be up against the cap w/o even considering the retention)?:laugh:

Different situation now, where it's pretty obvious that it's time to rebuild (not to mention the cap WILL be much higher - easier to "swallow that retention").

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
MS did comment on those 1998-2000 years where Burke had a revolving door on goalies (ran Irbe out of town who actually WAS a decent goalie at the time); not sure how mentioning those two invalidates his argument.
Irbe's contract was up before Burke actually arrived, there was no running out of town per se. Although he remained a free agent into September and there's no reason the Canucks couldn't have re-signed him if he was willing to come back. The guy had a winning record on a terrible Canucks' team (considerably worse than this edition, the current spoiled fans should appreciate).

MS said:
Richard Brodeur was our starter from 1980-1987.

Kirk McLean from 1987-1998.

Then it was a disaster for two years under Burke/Keenan.

Then Dan Cloutier from 2000-2006.

Then Roberto Luongo from 2006 onward.

Excluding those two years in the late 1990s, our goaltending situation has been *ridiculously* consistent for the last 35 years. Of course there have been injuries and hot backups given runs here and there - that happens for any team. But by and large goaltending has been consistent as you can possibly imagine.
Even though I completely agree with MS, I do have to point out that Troy Gamble was annointed starter at the start of 1990-91 (though McLean did have some injury issues too that year.) :naughty:

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
I seriously think Markstrom just needs a change of scenery and consistent organization. Shawn Mathias said as much today

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Irbe's contract was up before Burke actually arrived, there was no running out of town per se. Although he remained a free agent into September and there's no reason the Canucks couldn't have re-signed him if he was willing to come back. The guy had a winning record on a terrible Canucks' team (considerably worse than this edition, the current spoiled fans should appreciate).

To be fair this Canucks versions is about as bad at scoring goals than any Nucks team. Very good at preventing them though.

jftam

Jun 28, 2013
Question: if Luongo is about to retire, could the Canucks just not re-acquire him from whatever team he is on and buy him out? Is there anything stopping that from happening?

Honestly have no idea how the buyout would work, but I think it would be better to trade him to a team needing to reach the cap floor, like when NYI acquired Tim Thomas.

Now that I've looked at Mirtles numbers again, I can see his logic. However, he still made a math error IMO. Worst case scenario for the Canucks, Lu retires after 2019-20 season and we're stuck with a $4.3 million cap hit for 2 years. At which point, the Canucks should reacquire him to trade him to a cap floor team.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Yeah I should've mentioned that. Hated seeing him go; clearly still had some gas left in the tank.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Matthias' was saying all the right things in his interview on 1040 earlier. Sounded like he was legitimately frustrated with his situation in Florida. Hopefully this means he's motivated to earn a spot here.

John Bender*

Honestly have no idea how the buyout would work, but I think it would be better to trade him to a team needing to reach the cap floor, like when NYI acquired Tim Thomas.

Now that I've looked at Mirtles numbers again, I can see his logic. However, he still made a math error IMO. Worst case scenario for the Canucks, Lu retires after 2019-20 season and we're stuck with a $4.3 million cap hit for 2 years. At which point, the Canucks should reacquire him to trade him to a cap floor team.

But in NYI's case, Thomas was not retired. If Lu retired, the cap recapture kicks in. Vancouver, I think, could avoid that be acquiring Luongo and buying his contract out . It would make sense for the team that Luongo is on to do a deal with Vancouver as they essentially get a free asset coming back in exchange for a retiring player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad