Confirmed with Link: [VAN/FLA] Luongo, Anthony for Matthias, Markstrom - Pt. 2

Nov 1, 2011
True, but for me,and thats my personal view, elite goalies steals important games, specially in the playoffs and win rings. He does not and never will.
Second, those Olympic goldmedals doesnt mean a **** in the NHL. And I am pretty sure whoever Canada had put in as backup for that Austria game would have won that medal too.

So Luongo that has won Olympic Gold, World Championship Gold, and the QMJHL title is a problem and can't win a big game because he can't help a team that only scored 8 goals in a 7 game series win more than 3 games in the SCF?

Dain Bramaged

Mar 29, 2013
Vancouver
I think we should quit revisiting the 2011 SCF every chance we get with Luongo. He's not even on this team anymore so why is this still relevant?

WestleySnipez

Christmas came early
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver. Duh.
Second, those Olympic goldmedals doesnt mean a **** in the NHL. And I am pretty sure whoever Canada had put in as backup for that Austria game would have won that medal too.

I'm pretty sure after Price won that gold medal and put on an outstanding performance it didn't affect his value at all. The difference between Loungo and any other backup the Canadians could bench is that Loungo actually played in the Olympics in 2010. If you forgot, he took over for the aging Brodeur and did excellent.

Even though that was 4 years ago, it's still impressive to have on your resume.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
I think we should quit revisiting the 2011 SCF every chance we get with Luongo. He's not even on this team anymore so why is this still relevant?

Because it's a subconscious coping mechanism for many Canucks fans who think "what if."

Don't mean to be dramatic but that finals changed everything for this franchise. We win and things would be vastly different; even the landscape around the league would be different. The big bad Bruins losing a 7 game series in which they first held a 3-0 and then losing the SCF against a skilled team based on speed, imagine the cluster**** of a mess their front office would be going through. Probably worse than the one we're undergoing right now.

In my opinion, we revisit this event because it was a turning point in this franchise and the league. It just wasn't the turning point people were looking for sadly and a lot of people, including me, subconsciously dwell on it.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
chokes me up a touch to realize that once this thread gets closed, that'll probably seal the Luongo/2011 SCFs talk for good on this board. End of an era for the franchise, sure, but an even bigger ending for HFboards/Canucks. :m-sad:

Edit: so I'll say one last time, if the goalies were switched in that finals, Canucks win in 5 or 6; GM7 of the ECF, 1-0 win with the goal late in the third...that's the kind of goaltending you need in a GM7...meanwhile Lu let in 3 saveable goals behind a team depleted by injuries/suspension. And Boston didn't outscore TB in the ECF to bail TT out of any games, the one 6-5 win Boston had they were up 5-2 and 6-3, making the 3, 4, 5 goals TB scored irrelevant. Oh, and Luongo shouldn't have lost focus in OT vs Anahaim way back when.

And he spends way too much time focused on his pads and masks. Could have spent that time working on his stickhandling instead.

Gonna miss this....

Last edited:

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
Because it's a subconscious coping mechanism for many Canucks fans who think "what if."

Don't mean to be dramatic but that finals changed everything for this franchise. We win and things would be vastly different; even the landscape around the league would be different. The big bad Bruins losing a 7 game series in which they first held a 3-0 and then losing the SCF against a skilled team based on speed, imagine the cluster**** of a mess their front office would be going through. Probably worse than the one we're undergoing right now.

In my opinion, we revisit this event because it was a turning point in this franchise and the league. It just wasn't the turning point people were looking for sadly and a lot of people, including me, subconsciously dwell on it.

Huh????

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
chokes me up a touch to realize that once this thread gets closed, that'll probably seal the Luongo/2011 SCFs talk for good on this board. End of an era for the franchise, sure, but an even bigger ending for HFboards/Canucks. :m-sad:

Edit: so I'll say one last time, if the goalies were switched in that finals, Canucks win in 5 or 6; GM7 of the ECF, 1-0 win with the goal late in the third...that's the kind of goaltending you need in a GM7...meanwhile Lu let in 3 saveable goals behind a team depleted by injuries/suspension. And Boston didn't outscore TB in the ECF to bail TT out of any games, the one 6-5 win Boston had they were up 5-2 and 6-3, making the 3, 4, 5 goals TB scored irrelevant. Oh, and Luongo shouldn't have lost focus in OT vs Anahaim way back when.

And he spends way too much time focused on his pads and masks. Could have spent that time working on his stickhandling instead.

Gonna miss this....

We still talk about the hit on Linden by Messier, Bure leaving under a cloud, draft picks we could have used better.

Luongo will be a topic of discussion for Canucks fans until those who watched him play are dead or we win a cup (yeah right).

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
True, but for me,and thats my personal view, elite goalies steals important games, specially in the playoffs and win rings. He does not and never will.

Luongo stole plenty of big games, just the franchise this millennium has a curse of flaming out in spectacular fashion and those moments are more memorable.

Honestly I never understood how when we flew into Boston Luongo suddenly couldn't stop a beach ball and was flubbing on simple shots. I mean ow do you go from a 1-0 shutout and a 3-2 OT win to given up 8 goals in a single game? Conspiracy maybe? :sarcasm:

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

ok, thats cool, but your definition is kind of silly and useless for discussion purposes and isnt the one most reasonable people use

its cool, you know, to have words with your own meanings but uh, yeah

Crinny

May 28, 2011
Barcelona, Spain
ok, thats cool, but your definition is kind of silly and useless for discussion purposes and isnt the one most reasonable people use

its cool, you know, to have words with your own meanings but uh, yeah

So your saying that a definition of an elite goalie being able to steal huge games in the playoffs is silly?

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011

I ****ing wish. I doubt that will even come after the Sedins retire, Pauser stops bringing their SCF performance up and people stop bringing up Luongo because they know it gets him worked up.

Gonna miss this....

Stickhandling, especially for goaltenders, is a function of skating ability. I don't think Roberto was going to improve that appreciably and unlike Cory in his time here he was at least able to work within his puckhandling limitations.

Also, one last time :sarcasm: , I am astonished that people still criticize Luongo for a single goal he allowed seven years ago in a playoff run where he stood on his head and in a series we'd have been absolutely steamrolled one way or the other. Besides people can say he was distracted complaining to the ref but he was probably already using most of his focus to clench anyway. ;)

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Luongo stole plenty of big games, just the franchise this millennium has a curse of flaming out in spectacular fashion and those moments are more memorable.

Honestly I never understood how when we flew into Boston Luongo suddenly couldn't stop a beach ball and was flubbing on simple shots. I mean ow do you go from a 1-0 shutout and a 3-2 OT win to given up 8 goals in a single game? Conspiracy maybe? :sarcasm:

This is pretty much it.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
So your saying that a definition of an elite goalie being able to steal huge games in the playoffs is silly?

yes, categorically. the definition of an elite goaltender should be related to their ability and performance over samples that mean things, otherwise you might as well just say "an elite goaltender is the one that won the stanley cup last year". elite goaltender chris osgood

hudson bay rules

Dec 31, 2013
Luongo was gifted a giant contract and was paid. He lost the starting job with his terrible play. He played like trash and was treated accordingly.

Cory Schneider was traded because Luongo refused to waive his NTC for any team except Florida. He destroyed this team.

this

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
should have just taken torontos deal. kept schiender and vancouver wouldnt have been in this mess in the first place. ****ing luongo and his ntc. blame gillis for giving him that 12 yr monsterous contract as well.

Luongos Knob

PDO Kings
Jan 20, 2009
should have just taken torontos deal. kept schiender and vancouver wouldnt have been in this mess in the first place. ****ing luongo and his ntc. blame gillis for giving him that 12 yr monsterous contract as well.

Blame Luongo for whining and crying and being a ***** just a few years after HE SIGNED A CONTRACT to tie himself to the canucks for the rest of his career. If you sign a 12 year contract, you should at least have a little bit of loyalty to your team and not demand a trade at the drop of a hat.

Imagine what we could have gotten if this goaltending saga was handled correctly. 1st line forward for Schneider + good young player for Lack + we'd still have luongo.

god damnit gillis!!!!!!!! curse you!!!!!!! curse your sweaty brow!!!!!!!!!!!!

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So you guys think Matthais will be part of the team moving forward? He's 26, he's 6"4 and he is on a good contact. Versatile and plays more physical than Kassian

I think Matthias will be part of the team and hopefully he gets extended over the summer. If he doesn't sign an extension, it'll probably mean he thinks he'll put up better numbers and can demand a better contract. If that is the case, he might not figure into the Canucks future.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
I think Matthias will be part of the team and hopefully he gets extended over the summer. If he doesn't sign an extension, it'll probably mean he thinks he'll put up better numbers and can demand a better contract. If that is the case, he might not figure into the Canucks future.

i really like Matthias but that's how i feel about him as well. i hope he stays for a few more yrs+ (after this)

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Do you guys see it now?

Nope. Was Lack to fault to Luongo's 8 goal meltdown, the many 7oungo's, the meltdowns against Chicago, the meltdowns against Oilers. ie Luongo vs Edmonton

2nd
18:47 Jordan Eberle (15) Tip-in - ASST: Justin Schultz (17), Nick Schultz (8
3rd Period
02:21 PPG - Nail Yakupov (15) Wrist shot - ASST: Justin Schultz (18), Sam Gagner (24)
13:17 Justin Schultz (8) Wrist shot - ASST: Taylor Hall (33), Mark Fistric (5)
14:16 Nail Yakupov (16) Wrist shot - ASST: Magnus Paajarvi (6)
14:37 Jordan Eberle (16) Wrist shot - ASST: Taylor Hall (34), Justin Schultz (19)
15:47 Nail Yakupov (17) Backhand shot - ASST: Mark Fistric (6), Magnus Paajarvi (7)
16:52 Jerred Smithson (3) Wrist shot - ASST: Ryan Jones (5), Ryan Smyth (11)

The problem goes deeper than the goalies.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad