Confirmed with Link: [VAN/EDM] Canucks trade F Kellan Lain for F Will Acton

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Good addition to Utica.
Would be a great experience for our young guys if Utica could win it all this year. Nothing like a winning atmosphere and hard working vets to teach the young guys how to prepare and play properly.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Okay.

I am indifferent to this move.

Utica gets a better bottom-6 type. Edmonton gets a big and tall guy who they will inevitably try to cram onto their NHL roster at some point with predictably poor results.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
@CarterBaum: Mitch Holmberg (on AHL deal) has been traded to Utica from #OKCBarons as part of the #Oilers Lain move.

Ah, this must be to offset the AHL salary difference between Lain and Acton.

Will be sent to Kalamazoo and likely released at the end of the year. Lit up the WHL last year as an undersized player to earn an AHL contract but has struggled in the ECHL so far. Similar situation to Valk but with worse results to this point.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Acton is a much better AHL player. Lain is just ... ick. Last year in the AHL Acton was a 0.5 points/game player while being excellent in all 3 zones. He sucks in the NHL but is a terrific AHL role player. Lain just isn't a positive contributor even in the minors.

Both guys are UFA at the end of the season so age is irrelevant. And we save money.

Lain can't skate and is a fringe AHL player. You aren't getting anything back.

We are still happy he is gone. No one wanted him

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Crappy AHL player for crappy AHL player.

But this is a win for us, however small.

Acton is a bit better player with more experience, is a better player at the AHL level, and we save % since Acton has a $100k AHL salary and Lain is at $200k.

:laugh:

In the case of the former Oiler, crappy NHL player (because they had no better player to use in the lineup).

edit: unless I have him confused with someone else?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Acton was never gonna get a fair shake from Oiler fans because of the perception of nepotism and the old boys club effect...

He bore an excessive amount of criticism for what he deserved from their fans...
But he is what he is... a tweener between leagues capable of a call up duty if necessary.

I'm sure we'll be a lot more objective in our assessment of his play since his father isn't on the coaching staff here...:sarcasm:

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Might turn out to be decent for utica if Holmberg can develop with valk, fox and blomstrand. Don't know much about holmberg but it looks like has some upside.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Ah, this must be to offset the AHL salary difference between Lain and Acton.

Will be sent to Kalamazoo and likely released at the end of the year. Lit up the WHL last year as an undersized player to earn an AHL contract but has struggled in the ECHL so far. Similar situation to Valk but with worse results to this point.

Yup Holmberg was Dane Fox like in the WHL last year, but he hasn't been able to translate that game to pro like his old team-mate Tyler Johnson has on the Lightning.

I don't mind this trade. Lain for Acton is a complete 'whatever' and Holmberg is a complete long shot offensive project like Valk.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Holmberg put up some serious points last year in the WHL but I'm guessing he was an overager similar to Fox. But hey we now got two junior 60 goal scorers on our ECHL team.

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Freakins on Acton:

'Yet as Eakins memorably put it, “He’s like a smell that just won’t go away.â€'

My dog was like that, after he jumped up on the table and ate a pound of butter :(

Caspian

Jun 3, 2006
Fun fact both Acton and Lain played for Lake Superior State University in 2010-11.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Based on BadGoalie and orcatown's reviews of Utica games recently, Lain was probably press box bound as soon as Jeffrey was healthy again. So this is no loss for us.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Lain signed with the Canucks with some understanding he would have some chance of playing here in the NHL and that is clearly not going to happen. Probably some level of appeasement here.

Pretty boring move anyway I guess. Neither player is very good.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Jeeze I liked big Lainer. Oh well, Holmberg might catch on with Fox, Valk, Bloomer and the gang down in the Zoo. Don't know a lot about Acton.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
2 hours a way woooohooo come on guys big game!! :)

Edit oopa wrong thread :facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad