Confirmed with Link: [VAN/EDM] Canucks trade F Kellan Lain for F Will Acton

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Crappy AHL player for crappy AHL player.

But this is a win for us, however small.

Acton is a bit better player with more experience, is a better player at the AHL level, and we save % since Acton has a $100k AHL salary and Lain is at $200k.

We oiler fans are glad acton is gone

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Looks like a trade to help Utica. Didn't seem like Lain was contributing much for them.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
url

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Not sure what Utica's faceoff stat is but acton appears to be over 50 percent on the draw

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Don't get this. Neither are NHL players but at least Lain is bigger and younger.

Acton is a much better AHL player. Lain is just ... ick. Last year in the AHL Acton was a 0.5 points/game player while being excellent in all 3 zones. He sucks in the NHL but is a terrific AHL role player. Lain just isn't a positive contributor even in the minors.

Both guys are UFA at the end of the season so age is irrelevant. And we save money.

We oiler fans are glad acton is gone

Lain can't skate and is a fringe AHL player. You aren't getting anything back.

nhlfarmteams

Jul 21, 2014
Lain was a project with good size. Acton has a pedigree and may be a serviceable 4th line grinder as apparently he's good on the draw, has decent speed and knows how to play. He was a whipping boy for Oil fans because of the link to his Dad. He's never going to be an offensive player and it seems it was more about frustrated Oilers fans venting than anything Acton did. Not likely to be an impact trade either way.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I kind of wonder if they are adding an AHL asset because Horvat is on his way down and they are going to pull someone from the farm to take his spot. Hope I'm wrong, but it's the first thing that came to mind.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Lain was a project with good size. Acton has a pedigree and may be a serviceable 4th line grinder as apparently he's good on the draw, has decent speed and knows how to play. He was a whipping boy for Oil fans because of the link to his Dad. He's never going to be an offensive player and it seems it was more about frustrated Oilers fans venting than anything Acton did. Not likely to be an impact trade either way.

He's a garbage 4th liner, far from serviceable.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Acton is faster and would fit Willie's system better than Lain.

I hope Acton never touches a Canucks game, ever. Jeffrey, Oreilly, Gaunce or basically any other centre on Utica should get the call-up first. That said, Lain was nothing really either and at 25 years old the chances of him improving significantly are very low. He had a couple feel good stories last year and is really tall but that's about it.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Will acton is an ok 4th line/reserve player.

He can skate, can win faceoffs, decent defensively and also good on the PK. He's isn't going to score goals or help to score them either, and he isn't going to crush anyone. He's certainly not going to stand out as a player, but isn't going to cost goals either.

Last edited:

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I hope Acton never touches a Canucks game, ever. Jeffrey, Oreilly, Gaunce or basically any other centre on Utica should get the call-up first. That said, Lain was nothing really either and at 25 years old the chances of him improving significantly are very low. He had a couple feel good stories last year and is really tall but that's about it.

Agreed, but I would hope the Comets are playing a similar style to the Canucks are and having more players who can play that style correctly in the system is good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad