Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CHI] Canucks acquire D Madison Bowey, 5th, in '21, for a 4th in '21

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Even if he was primarily acquired for expansion draft purposes, there is simply no way a player who was basically an NHL regular one year ago is that much more incompetente than someone like Jalen Chatfield not to throw him in for a game or two...
Totally agree with this......playing Chatfield over guys like Rafferty and Bowey made little sense to me. Chatfield is now an RFA and it's less than 50/50 that they re-sign him.

Meantime, the Canucks are likely stuck with Bowey's contract for another year; and Rafferty was way better than Chatfield in Utica last season. So why not see what they have in garbage time games that mean nothing?

I have no idea if Rafferty's season in the AHL last season was a aberration, but he hasn't played enough games before his 25th birthday, so he's a UFA this off-season and doubtful now that he's back either.

Reactions: supercanuck

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I mean, it essentially became Gaudette and a 4th for Highmore, Bowey and a 5th.

Vancouver traded a better player and a higher pick for a lower pick and two replacement level players.

At least f***ing target a guy like Wyatt Kalynuk who at least has a remote chance of turning decent.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I mean, it essentially became Gaudette and a 4th for Highmore, Bowey and a 5th.

Vancouver traded a better player and a higher pick for a lower pick and two replacement level players.

At least f***ing target a guy like Wyatt Kalynuk who at least has a remote chance of turning decent.
And you can't forget about the contracts...both Bowey and Highmore have another year in their deals, which the Hawks were anxious to get out from under. Highmore had been a healthy scratch for 10 straight games before the Canucks acquired him; and Bowey only got into a couple of games after the Hawks picked him up from Detroit.

I suppose there's a chance Highmore cracks the bottom six next season; but Bowey doesn't figure to get any closer to the Canucks blueline than Abbotsford. I'd say its high unlikely the Kraken pick him in the expansion draft, so it represents another $750,000 contract the Canucks will have to stash in the minors.

Oh well, the Canucks have a history of paying big money to AHL players on one-way contracts. Makes the player agents happy I guess.

But you'd think that the owner, who's pinching pennies right now, would be getting a little tired of paying guys like Baertscshi, Teves and now Bowey NHL money to play in the AHL.

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
Reddit sometimes feel like twilight zone to me.

Here is a post that praises Benning for trading for Bowey in anticipation for the expansion draft.. WTF?

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Reddit sometimes feel like twilight zone to me.

Here is a post that praises Benning for trading for Bowey in anticipation for the expansion draft.. WTF?

Gotta realise that their are some serious benning bros on reddit. And reddit is super circle jerky.

Ballgarath

Jun 17, 2012
B.C.
I'd say Petterson changing agents "same agent as Hughes o_O" means we are going to get raked over the coals when this deal is done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad