Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CHI] Canucks acquire D Madison Bowey, 5th, in '21, for a 4th in '21

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Did you actually listen to Jim describe him?

Didn't sound like it was purely for expansion, and I think he feels Bowey still has upside...but again, not sure if I'm allowed to believe what he says or if I'm supposed to blame ownership.

Oh, he's also here because he was a guy Jimbo really liked when he scouted him 5-6 years ago. And is the prototype Benning defender who has some eye-test tools but absolutely sucks.

And I wouldn't be surprised if this dumb team ends up giving him a look because he's here. But the deal was made primarily for his expansion draft status because they didn't want to have to expose Tyler Myers.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Bowey is one of the worst defensemen ive ever seen.

Erik Gudbranson is significantly better and was just traded for nothing, for free.
If its expansion related only a pick downgrade from a 6th to a 7th should've been more than enough. Or pick up one of many options on waivers.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Did you actually listen to Jim describe him?

Didn't sound like it was purely for expansion, and I think he feels Bowey still has upside...but again, not sure if I'm allowed to believe what he says or if I'm supposed to blame ownership.

this is getting a little ridiculous

i love how things benning says politely about players are always taken literally here by some as a means of criticizing benning.

i mean if benning had dismissed bowey as expansion fodder you'd criticize him for that too.

if you really think a gm in an interview is going to write off a brand new acquisition as expansion fodder without saying anything polite and encouraging about the guy i am not sure how you manage to turn your computer on, let alone type out posts.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
And then if not selected by Seattle to Utica for year two of his contract?
And that's what really makes little sense about this deal.

There's no way he's playing in VanCity next year, so unless the Kraken select him, he's earning guaranteed one-way money of $700.000 a season in the second year of his deal playing in Utica.

I realize it's only 700 grand.....but it hardly does anything for your salary cap situation if he's buried in the minors. It's just another 700 grand in cap space that's wasted on a player who can't help you.

But then Benning and the Canucks have a lot of contracts like that.

Reactions: ginner classic

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

There's no way he's playing in VanCity next year, so unless the Kraken select him, he's earning guaranteed one-way money of $700.000 a season in the second year of his deal playing in Utica.

I realize it's only 700 grand.....but it hardly does anything for your salary cap situation if he's buried in the minors. It's just another 700 grand in cap space that's wasted on a player who can't help you.

chatfield and rafferty are both rhd depth guys on similar expiring one way deals. i'd say one of their contract slots had been filled by bowey if he is not claimed. where that puts bowey on the depth chart and geographically we will see. presumably there will be no taxi squad next year.

it does nothing negative to your cap situation whether he is buried or not. if buried, no cap hit. if called up, he's $25,000 over an nhl minimum salary so there is basically no way to save more cap than having this guy called up (other than playing a man down on the roster).

and one of the things the canucks have done fairly generously is sign league minimum one way deals with their better senior ahl guys. no way i am going to criticize aquaman for being willing to do that and giving some of those guys the only big payday they ever see as pros.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
this is getting a little ridiculous

i love how things benning says politely about players are always taken literally here by some as a means of criticizing benning.

i mean if benning had dismissed bowey as expansion fodder you'd criticize him for that too.

if you really think a gm in an interview is going to write off a brand new acquisition as expansion fodder without saying anything polite and encouraging about the guy i am not sure how you manage to turn your computer on, let alone type out posts.
This kind of post attacking posters with what you think they’ll do is getting ridiculous.

Jim Benning is also a specific case. Not any GM. 7 years in I think I have a feel.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Of course not he's overpaid just like half of this team. I don't think he's as bad as some here and when he's on I quite like him as a player. Replacing him wouldn't be easy or cheap.

I don't think it would have cost much to keep Stetcher.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Jim Benning is also a specific case. Not any GM. 7 years in I think I have a feel.

i think you lack a feel for how logical inference works. assuming jim benning is an idiot, that does not make it ok for you to call him an idiot based on ridiculously bad gotcha analysis.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
i think you lack a feel for how logical inference works. assuming jim benning is an idiot, that does not make it ok for you to call him an idiot based on ridiculously bad gotcha analysis.
Wrong again. Please stop. It wastes everyone’s time.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I don't see the hate here. He can be buried on taxi or Utica at no cap hit. He can handle rough stuff. The is a 5% chance that he'll play decently. so what.

The one thing that I hate most about Benning is his cap management. This move has no cap effect. Hell, sign the guy to a 5 yr $700K contract, and maybe he becomes a marginal call up. Its not like Baertschi and other disasters playing in utica and costing us cap space.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010

If he is in Utica 700k is below the threshold that counts against the cap. I think it is after a million or so that it starts to count against the cap. Capwise this deal has no effect except that he is a cheap extra body.

Reactions: shottasasa

Prometheus

May 14, 2018
Oh, he's also here because he was a guy Jimbo really liked when he scouted him 5-6 years ago. And is the prototype Benning defender who has some eye-test tools but absolutely sucks.

And I wouldn't be surprised if this dumb team ends up giving him a look because he's here. But the deal was made primarily for his expansion draft status because they didn't want to have to expose Tyler Myers.

How does Bowey compare to Bartkowski?

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
He’ll be a great name to bring up in future “remember when that guy was a Canuck?” conversations

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
The thing Ive liked about Bowey since we brought him in is that we have not yet associated him with Eriksson Sutter Beagle Roussell Barkowski Sbisa Gudbranson Prust Gagner Schaller Pouliot Larsen Etc

Nucks for the Cup

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver
This trade just epitomizes Jim Bennings job performance. Has to make a rash trade because he didn't do it in the offseason. Realizes needs someone for expansion purposes and on top of that treats draft picks like they are nothing. Please Please fire this clown

Reactions: Hawkyknowledge

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
The amount of pointless trades we’ve made to bleed late round picks is amazing. Completely forgot we even did this one.

Reactions: mathonwy

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
The amount of pointless trades we’ve made to bleed late round picks is amazing. Completely forgot we even did this one.

This one wasnt pointless it was for the Expansion draft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad