Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CHI] Canucks acquire D Madison Bowey, 5th, in '21, for a 4th in '21

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
they had an entire off-season to just sign someone for free, again it's not going to cripple this franchise, but these little mistakes all add up, even the tiny ones.

What FA signs a contract just to get exposed in the expansion draft. Like that one doesnt even need any thought. Heres a job oh and btw you may have to move to Seattle because we arent protecting you even though you had multi teams interested. All they had to do is wait until after the expansion draft

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
What FA signs a contract just to get exposed in the expansion draft. Like that one doesnt even need any thought. Heres a job oh and btw you may have to move to Seattle because we arent protecting you even though you had multi teams interested. All they had to do is wait until after the expansion draft
like mentioned above, waivers were an option all season long

anyway who cares, Benning's back anyway. The Benning Bros win this year

Reactions: PM and Breakers

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
like mentioned above, waivers were an option all season long

anyway who cares, Benning's back anyway. The Benning Bros win this year

Ok who off waivers was eligible, cleared and had a contract that was under 1 mill.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Unless there's some injury we don't know about, it's apparent that the chances of Bowey playing a game for Canucks is about the same as hitting on Friday's Lotto Max numbers.

I get that he was acquired for the sole purpose of exposing him in the expansion draft. Trouble is, if he isn't picked, he still has a contract for next season. So I guess he plays out a string in Abbotsford.

My oh my has a guy who was picked in the second round and looked pretty good playing for the Kelowna Rockets, basically fallen off a cliff. It happens I guess.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

I don't understand your last sentence. If they waited until after the expansion draft they'd have had to expose someone they didn't want to-presumably one of Hughes, Schmidt and Myers. One can argue that exposing Myers would have been just fine and I'd agree, but with the management deciding not to expose any of those three and needing to expose someone with 54 games played over the past two seasons (or 27 games this season, if I remember the numbers as shortened because of covid correctly), they acquired Bowey late in the season for that purpose.

Waiting until after the expansion draft would have left them without a defenceman that they could use to satisfy the exposure rule except for guys they really wanted to keep.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I don't understand your last sentence. If they waited until after the expansion draft they'd have had to expose someone they didn't want to-presumably one of Hughes, Schmidt and Myers. One can argue that exposing Myers would have been just fine and I'd agree, but with the management deciding not to expose any of those three and needing to expose someone with 54 games played over the past two seasons (or 27 games this season, if I remember the numbers as shortened because of covid correctly), they acquired Bowey late in the season for that purpose.

Waiting until after the expansion draft would have left them without a defenceman fitting the criteria that they actually didn't mind exposing.

Players could just wait until after the expansion draft to make sure they end up where they sign

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Players could just wait until after the expansion draft to make sure they end up where they sign

I think we must be reading the post you were replying to differently. I read the reference to free agents as meaning last offseason, you must have read it as referring to this coming offseason.

I think the expansion draft goes before Free Agent Frenzy, though, so this year's free agent crop wouldn't be available.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I think we must be reading the post you were replying to differently. I read the reference to free agents as meaning last offseason, you must have read it as referring to this coming offseason.

I think the expansion draft goes before Free Agent Frenzy, though, so this year's free agent crop wouldn't be available.

Definitely read that wrong and was just thinking about July 1 as UFA period instead of whenever this season UFA period start. But still we were against the cap and I believe there were rumours that the Canucks were interested in both Bowey and Koekkoek but nothing materialized.

I still dont understand why Chatfield was playing instead of Rafferty but thats a different discussion

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
So what happened here exactly?
Why did he not get a game?
And why did nobody ask Travis or jim?

President of Hockey

Aug 13, 2016
Even if he was primarily acquired for expansion draft purposes, there is simply no way a player who was basically an NHL regular one year ago is that much more incompetente than someone like Jalen Chatfield not to throw him in for a game or two...

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
The thing Ive liked about Bowey since we brought him in is that we have not yet associated him with Eriksson Sutter Beagle Roussell Barkowski Sbisa Gudbranson Prust Gagner Schaller Pouliot Larsen Etc

BadClearBarbet-size_restricted.gif

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
So what happened here exactly?
Why did he not get a game?
And why did nobody ask Travis or jim?
Benning remembered he was apparently a warm body short at expansion draft time and bled a late rounder because he's an idiot.

Because he's like the worst dman on the planet ever. Cam Barker levels of defensive awareness.

Nobody cared because he was literally a nothing acquisition to expose on a piece of paper at draft time. Non-NHLer. Won't be taken by Seattle, won't be retained after the draft. I hope.

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
So does Benning get a free pass now he made a "potentially" good trade after our possibly worst season ever? I say "potentially" because Nate Schmidt didn't really perform that well this year despite us thinking we got a good deal for him.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Benning remembered he was apparently a warm body short at expansion draft time and bled a late rounder because he's an idiot.

Because he's like the worst dman on the planet ever. Cam Barker levels of defensive awareness.

Nobody cared because he was literally a nothing acquisition to expose on a piece of paper at draft time. Non-NHLer. Won't be taken by Seattle, won't be retained after the draft. I hope.
He didn’t bleed a late rounder, he moved about 25 spots down. The projected mean value of these picks is identical:
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.raw...-first-round-player-examples-hockey-analytics
Prospect dragons: Contextualizing NHL draft pick values

Last edited:

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Even if he was primarily acquired for expansion draft purposes, there is simply no way a player who was basically an NHL regular one year ago is that much more incompetente than someone like Jalen Chatfield not to throw him in for a game or two...

Bowey should have been in the line-up the first game after official elimination, along with Chatfield, Rathbone, Rafferty, Juolevi, and Sautner, and that should have been the set-up the rest of the way. (By the way, that's 3 lefties and 3 righties.)

Reactions: supercanuck

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
So does Benning get a free pass now he made a "potentially" good trade after our possibly worst season ever? I say "potentially" because Nate Schmidt didn't really perform that well this year despite us thinking we got a good deal for him.

He pulled the trigger on the deal so that deserves some credit for sure. But it sort of fell in his lap and it also wasn’t any sort of plan A. Plan A was them trying desperately to find a way to bring in OEL and add another boat anchor of a contract to the books.

This was the perfect demonstration that there is no team build or cap allocation plan and that everything is simply done on a day to day basis and the gut feel that day.

Reactions: arttk

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
He didn’t bleed a late rounder, he moved about 25 spots down. The projected mean value of these picks is identical:
Prospect dragons: Contextualizing NHL draft pick values

It actually was 36 slots, not 25.

In terms of a trade, would you not agree that it makes more sense to look at the value of the picks in a context of a trade?

I think moving down 36 spots in the middle of the draft would usually cost a 6th or 7th round pick. So saying they gave away pick value is definitely fair.

The Canucks and Blackhawks actually made a similar trade in 2017. Canucks traded #112 for #135 and #181. So a 4th for a 5th and 6th.

Reactions: rypper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad