Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CHI] Canucks acquire D Madison Bowey, 5th, in '21, for a 4th in '21

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
What does this mean for Tryamkin? :sarcasm:

Seriously though, anyone care to share an honest assessment of Bowey? Scouting reports are years old. Just looked at some advanced stats and they suggest that he's bad defensively. But that's such a generic statement. It would be interesting to learn from those who have watched him a lot. By all accounts his skating and mobility are good. Where does he struggle?

I realize this is a big ask given the anxiety on the boards today. But a serious assessment would be welcomed.

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
Oh, definitely. It's just hardwired into everything they do. Not capable of admitting mistakes. Not capable of changing an opinion. Just absolutely locked into things no matter how much evidence there is to the contrary.
It just dawned on me that their decisions could be deliberate responses to rational criticism from the fanbase. This is a bit wild so bear with me.

Aqua, JB, JW believe themselves hockey savants. Their collective ego is so fragile that the obvious move that the fans want must be avoided in favor of the "counter-intuitive" move that only a hockey savant could ever understand. Once a move is derided by the fanbase they must double down because they can see the pattern that ordinary humans cannot. Any course correction or change in philosophy is tantamount to suicide. They are geniuses because they wouldn't be in charge if they weren't. Like any self-respecting megalomaniacs, they are never publically accountable unless forced and even then there is no admittance of fault for anything. Blame is anywhere but with them. Their view is that if we are right then they are wrong, so we can never be right.

Okay, that got twisted. /End of theory

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
For what it's worth, the few comments on the Chicago board are to the effect that the Blackhawks acquired Bowey purely to be able to expose him in the expansion draft, and subsequent moves made him redundant for that purpose. They're praising management for being able to dispose of him and upgrade a pick at the same time. There's nothing to suggest that anyone values him even as a depth defenseman.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Just gonna leave this gem here. Bowey is our plan B if we can't get Edler and Hamonic back. Can't make this up.

Everyone knows the Kelowna Rockets is a Dman factory: Edler, Schenn, Myers, Bowey. Look for the Canucks to acquire Barrie.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Do you think Myers is worth $6 million per year for three years?

Of course not he's overpaid just like half of this team. I don't think he's as bad as some here and when he's on I quite like him as a player. Replacing him wouldn't be easy or cheap.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I had an interest in Bowey several years back when he was a promising prospect, and I'm not totally opposed to taking a chance on seeing if he can carve out a depth role...what boggles my mind is the fact we spent an asset on him when we could have probably just signed him as a free agent last off season. Jimbo being Jimbo.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
For what it's worth, the few comments on the Chicago board are to the effect that the Blackhawks acquired Bowey purely to be able to expose him in the expansion draft, and subsequent moves made him redundant for that purpose. They're praising management for being able to dispose of him and upgrade a pick at the same time. There's nothing to suggest that anyone values him even as a depth defenseman.
He went through waivers in January too. If Benning actually thought Bowey had something then he could've just claimed him for free.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
It just dawned on me that their decisions could be deliberate responses to rational criticism from the fanbase. This is a bit wild so bear with me.

Aqua, JB, JW believe themselves hockey savants. Their collective ego is so fragile that the obvious move that the fans want must be avoided in favor of the "counter-intuitive" move that only a hockey savant could ever understand. Once a move is derided by the fanbase they must double down because they can see the pattern that ordinary humans cannot. Any course correction or change in philosophy is tantamount to suicide. They are geniuses because they wouldn't be in charge if they weren't. Like any self-respecting megalomaniacs, they are never publically accountable unless forced and even then there is no admittance of fault for anything. Blame is anywhere but with them. Their view is that if we are right then they are wrong, so we can never be right.

Okay, that got twisted. /End of theory
You mean like these three master painters?

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Do you actually think that Jim Benning had considered the expansion draft in any way back in January?
I was actually just about to add to my post that it's a perfect illustration of the differences in management between Chicago and Vancouver. Chicago gets a guy exactly for expansion draft purposes early on and then he becomes superfluous for that reason later on so they can turn a very small win, but Vancouver has to scramble at the last moment to make sure they fit the minimum for the expansion draft and have to take a small loss.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
But Benning said he couldn't fore see any cap problems. Shouldn't be any problem bringing them back then unless Edler and Hamonic retire.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Gave up 4th up for a 5th and got nothing. Bowey is terrible defensively. Couldn't cut it in Detroit on one of the weakest defenses in modern NHL history. Was no better in Chicago.

Far as Myers goes - why is so much of what the team does an attempt to justify Benning's awful moves from the past. This is an on-going saga. Benning makes a bad move and then compounds it by making further bad moves to try an mitigate the damage from the earlier bad move.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I was actually just about to add to my post that it's a perfect illustration of the differences in management between Chicago and Vancouver. Chicago gets a guy exactly for expansion draft purposes early on and then he becomes superfluous for that reason later on so they can turn a very small win, but Vancouver has to scramble at the last moment to make sure they fit the minimum for the expansion draft and have to take a small loss.

This is basically a perfect summation of what happened here.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I would have rather they just moved Gaudette for Bowey & keep the pick

Reactions: xtra

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Hawks acquired Bowey from Detroit earlier this season for one reason, and one reason only....he had enough NHL games under his belt to qualify for the upcoming expansion draft. And that's exactly what will happen to him at the end of this season with the Canucks.

Bowey has been on waivers at least twice....so if the Canucks were really interested, they could have claimed him and looked at him for free.

So I guess the 'good news' with this trade is that Canucks have another d-man to expose to Seattle....the bad news, it probably means they're protecting Tyler Myers. Sometimes you can't win for losing.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Hawks acquired Bowey from Detroit earlier this year for one reason, and one reason only....he had enough NHL games to qualify as a d-man eligible to be exposed in the expansion draft. And this is exactly what will happen to him at the end of the season with the Canucks.

Bowey has been on waivers at least twice, so if they were really interested the Canucks could claimed him for nothing and looked at him for free.

So I guess the good news with this trade is that the Canucks have a d-man they can expose to Seattle.....the 'bad news' is it probably means they're protecting Tyler Myers.

drivier

Apr 30, 2009
Vancouver
Was this trade solely made so they can expose Bowey in expansion draft?

Not "solely" for the purpose of exposing Bowey. But, the Canucks must expose a player who satisfies the 27 games this year/54 games over last two years that has a current contract. Bowey does satisfy that requirement.

I don't think it matters whether Bowey is exposed or Myers (to be fair). I still think the options are Lind, Rafferty, or Holtby depending on what position the Kraken need.

I don't know - do people have Bowey > Rafferty?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad