Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CHI] Canucks acquire D Madison Bowey, 5th, in '21, for a 4th in '21

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This management team will never admit its mistakes when it comes to UFA's and trades. It's why it's 2021 and Loui Eriksson is still associated with the team and why Sutter is likely getting an extension. They will hold onto Myers until he's unplayable.

Oh, definitely. It's just hardwired into everything they do. Not capable of admitting mistakes. Not capable of changing an opinion. Just absolutely locked into things no matter how much evidence there is to the contrary.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Basically Benning traded away some pick value so we had the ability to protect a negative-value Tyler Myers in the expansion draft.

Now, the difference between a 4th and a 5th in value isn't huge but it's the principle and also that WE'RE PROTECTING TYLER MYERS IN THE EXPANSION DRAFT. Ugh.

I'm shocked they were worried about losing Myers in the draft.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
If they acquired Bowey simply for the expansion draft requirements, couldn't they have just plucked someone off waivers throughout the past few weeks who fits that? Why wait until today and trade down in the draft to do it?

Because
10621852_web1_180214-BPD-M-CP-LOCALS-DO-NOT-USE.jpg

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Honest question: if you had to choose 1 who would you choose, Gudbranson, Bowey, or Benn? Age and cap hit factored in.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
This is what elite GMing looks like :yo:

Tampa be SUPER jealous of us suckas :yo:

Reactions: The Poacher

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Like what others have said, not going to care too much about the end result here on this trade.

But the process leaves much to be desired. High pick they used to like, guy that could have been acquired for free at multiple points in the last season, and no real plan for him other than cannon fodder so that they can protect Myers.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Just gonna leave this gem here. Bowey is our plan B if we can't get Edler and Hamonic back. Can't make this up.

How f***ing stupid do you have to be to even for a second conceive the notion that somehow a career minor-leaguer like Bowey gives you 'protection' against your #1 LHD (who plays all the team's hardest minutes) leaving.

Its like saying that Highmore gives us protection in case we can't sign Pettersson.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
If they acquired Bowey simply for the expansion draft requirements, couldn't they have just plucked someone off waivers throughout the past few weeks who fits that? Why wait until today and trade down in the draft to do it?

I'm going to guess they are thinking about what happens if the guy isn't picked up by the Kraken, do they have a use for this player if they keep him? Dropping down a bit in the 5th round isn't going to cripple this franchise...

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
How f***ing stupid do you have to be to even for a second conceive the notion that somehow a career minor-leaguer like Bowey gives you 'protection' against your #1 LHD (who plays all the team's hardest minutes) leaving.

Its like saying that Highmore gives us protection in case we can't sign Pettersson.
I'm at the point where I should stop trying to understand what Benning is thinking. It's like trying to understand what one divided by zero equals.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
I'm going to guess they are thinking about what happens if the guy isn't picked up by the Kraken, do they have a use for this player if they keep him? Dropping down a bit in the 5th round isn't going to cripple this franchise...
Why would the Kraken pick him up? How is that even a thought?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
bowey is under contract for another season. i'd say this is a vote of non confidence in one or both of tried and perhaps discarded chatfield and never tried rafferty who are our present day right side depth guys.

benning is not going to throw those guys under the bus, so he has made up a narrative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad