Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CHI] Canucks acquire 5th Round Pick for F Anthony Beauvillier

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Think Beauvillier had some trouble adapting to Tocchet's systems. Wasn't allowed the short cuts that might have led to more goals but hurt the team defensively. Thought Beauvillier was effective , at times, of being a decent forechecker and back checker but, as many have stated, you can get cheaper players to do that.

If Tocchet had been put Beauvillier in Boeser's postion Beau might have had a few more goals and I wondered whether Canucks should have done that to up his trade value. You could counter that by saying Beauvillier was given some oppurtunity to be with better players but didn't do much when given the chance. In the end, he simply became another checker and this is a role that he is not naturally suited for.

In Chicago he will likely be put in a spot where he will score more. However, I doubt he will ever be a significant offensive player on a upper level team that has players that are better offensively (which was the case here)

One of the things I like about the trade is that Allvin seemingly jumped on the situation in Chicago. With their other problems and with Perry gone, Chicago had a need and Allvin took advantage of this. This is much like he did with the Lafferty situation in TO. That's what good GMs do.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
A notable aspect of the calculation is that the cap hit value is increased. IS THIS TRUE outside of the signing bonus counting 100% rather than prorated like the base salary is? Weird if so).

The cap hit is calculated as follows:
Cap hit = Signing bonus × total season days / season days remaining + base salary I have a tough time believing this is accurate

Example:
Brogan Rafferty of the Vancouver Canucks signed a one year ELC on April 2, 2019. The contract has a base salary of $832,500, a signing bonus of $92,500, and there were 4 days remaining in the 186 day season:
Cap hit = $92,500 × 186 / 4 + $832,500
Cap hit: $5,133,750

Hey Peter

I have not read through the whole thread so I have no idea the context of this discussion, but in my calculations, this doesnt seem right. Did you put the plus and the x in the wrong spots?

Should it not be:

Signing bonus _+_ ((Total Season days/Season days remaining) _x_ base salary)
in that order of operation as well?

In your example, this would calculate out to:

Cap hit = $92,500 _+_ ((4/186) _x_ $832,500)
= 92,500 + (0.02197802 x 832,500)
= 92,500 + 18,296.70
Cap Hit = $110,796.70

**Daily Cap hit with 4 days left in the season = 110,801/4= 27,700

** Edit This is why!

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Hey Peter

I have not read through the whole thread so I have no idea the context of this discussion, but in my calculations, this doesnt seem right. Did you put the plus and the x in the wrong spots?

Should it not be:

Signing bonus _+_ ((Total Season days/Season days remaining) _x_ base salary)
in that order of operation as well?

In your example, this would calculate out to:

Cap hit = $92,500 _+_ ((4/186) _x_ $832,500)
= 92,500 + (0.02197802 x 832,500)
= 92,500 + 18,296.70
Cap Hit = $110,796.70

**Daily Cap hit with 4 days left in the season = 110,801/4= 27,700

** Edit This is why!
It’s directly taken from capfriendly’s website so you would have to ask them.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Kind of disappointing return in a vacuum. Beauvillier is still a useful Top-9 Filler Winger with some versatility up and down the lineup. But he just really doesn't bring anything particularly useful to the table beyond that versatility, and the very occasional hot streak where he's actually decently productive.

So for north of $4M...that's pretty outrageously bad value in today's cap landscape. Definitely a big win just unloading the entirety of that cap, and still getting something back for him. He'll probably go on one of his hot streaks when he lands on Bedard's wing for a minute, then fade back into the woodwork again.

I kinda figured he'd be the "cap offset" part of some other deal for something that fits better, and is needed more here. But this works too. Basically just opens up some flexibility to not only sign Bear (who we need more right now)...but also starts to build a little bit more room for shopping elsewhere. Can potentially win out a competition trading for a guy we really want, by not having to foist $4M of filler cap back on someone. Hopefully brings the price down on whatever that asset ends up being.

Hopefully they can eventually turn that space into a better fit Top-9 Forward. Someone with some size and grit would be ideal. Someone who can actually play "3rd wheel" doing some spadework on that Pettersson-Kuzmenko line would be a dream. It'd let us fully free Mikheyev up to play with Miller-Boeser full time potentially. Which would let us keep PDG down in the bottom-6 somewhere and really help the team's depth overall.

So really, getting a 5th for Beauvillier is a pretty tidy bit of work, all things considered. Have to imagine that's a piece that also helps when it's time to go shopping for that upgrade as well. Especially since it's apparently the best of the 5th rounder the Hawks own, which is going to be awfully close to a late 4th rounder - not that it even matters much in the mid-rounds anyway.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
maybe not realistic but imo the smartest beauve play would have been to trade him at the deadline last year. he had one year left but i think a contender could have taken on his remaining cap hit for the year and accept that the last year would be an offseason problem.

i think you could have gotten a third at full salary and probably a second if we retained, though i wouldn’t have wanted to retain.

ultimately i do think beauve is a more useful player than garland. he can play up and down the lineup and not hurt you. come playoff time, he’s useful as a guy you can plug in anywhere if injuries hit, with scoring ability if he gets hot.

garland is just as streaky but i think contributes less things and is more of a play killer in most circumstances. most of the time beauve isn’t contributing anything but he saws off at least.

i can see chicago retaining at the deadline and getting a second plus a b prospect for him. he’s a useful depth piece playoff teams always need.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
stupid question.
What annual cap hit can we now accomodate?
I vaguely remember being surprised that in prior years, cap space is annualized so if you're 1/4 through the season, then potential cap hits are only coming on the books at 3/4 of their face value.
am i on crack?
how does this work?

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

what did he mean by this. was there a team that was going to take beauvilier in the summer?

He seems to be premising this take on the Canucks thinking Beuvillier had value at the time of the Horvat trade which is a dubious premise.

Reactions: Zarpan and MS

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia

what did he mean by this. was there a team that was going to take beauvilier in the summer?

Considering Chicago took Foligno/Hall/Perry, I definitely thought it was possible they'd take Beauvillier.

Like, the trade is still good in a vacuum but if they could've traded a 7th or whatever to move Beauvillier's contract earlier then they probably should have done it.

Reactions: credulous

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

I'd say definitely not..The Canucks desperately tried to move salary in the summer, and there were no takers..Eventually forcing them to initiate a OEL buyout (which they had no intention of doing).

Last summer, I'd reckon we would have had to have give up an asset as a sweetener to move off a substantial inefficient contract

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
What Drance means is that carrying Beau through the summer took away their ability to spend that 4 million at that time. So, there is a 'cost' associated with that. That's it.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
1701270492674.jpeg

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007

This is such a dumb stance. Matching salary is how deals get done in the NHL when teams are so tight against the cap. Anyone with a lick of sense knew that Beau was salary matching in the Horvat trade.

If they could've gotten rid of him earlier, they would've & would've tried spending the money that was tied up in Beau + spent on Pius Suter on a center or defensive upgrade.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I guess he could be alluding to having cap space to sign Gavrikov, which yeah, would've been really good for our blueline.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I guess he could be alluding to having cap space to sign Gavrikov, which yeah, would've been really good for our blueline.

Yes, or any free agent. Or other trades that were available. I feel like people just don't know what opportunity cost means? They missed an opportunity to improve the team with that money over the off-season. The fact that Beau did basically nothing here through 20 games doesn't help. That's all he's saying. It's not that deep.

The good news? The team has been great anyway and Allvin can make a move now and still come out just fine.

Reactions: Josepho

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If you were rebuilding team like the Ducks/Wings/Hawks in recent years, I would look into getting guys on short term deals vs paying both term and money for UFAs. But, also only so many of these deals you want to make each off season as you still need to build a foundation for the kids to play in.

I would think PA was looking to move that contract to do something on the blueline in the summer.

I'd say the same with Garland. He can be a trade target for teams that don't want to pay the term on UFAs.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Yes, or any free agent. Or other trades that were available. I feel like people just don't know what opportunity cost means? They missed an opportunity to improve the team with that money over the off-season. The fact that Beau did basically nothing here through 20 games doesn't help. That's all he's saying. It's not that deep.

The good news? The team has been great anyway and Allvin can make a move now and still come out just fine.
It just strikes me as a "water is wet" comment - we had to take Beau back for cap reasons, and I'm pretty sure nobody was chomping at the bit to acquire him so we'd be giving up assets to get rid of the contract.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Would have been a huge acquisition. And the LA Kings wouldn't be as good as they are now. Can't win them all, unfortunately.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
It just strikes me as a "water is wet" comment - we had to take Beau back for cap reasons, and I'm pretty sure nobody was chomping at the bit to acquire him so we'd be giving up assets to get rid of the contract.

I think his comments have to be read in the context of the team selling Beauvillier as being an extra piece instead of a cap dump. It was always bullshit, but the fact that they got a positive return today doesn’t mean it wasn’t bullshit at the time given the opportunity cost associated with holding him until now.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC

Considering Chicago took Foligno/Hall/Perry, I definitely thought it was possible they'd take Beauvillier.

Like, the trade is still good in a vacuum but if they could've traded a 7th or whatever to move Beauvillier's contract earlier then they probably should have done it.

Perhaps Chicago was asking for too much of a sweetener in the summer when they had the option to overpay for free agents instead of helping another team out with their cap situation.

I'm sure management knew what the cost was to dump Beau in the summer and weighed that against what options they had to spend that potential freed up cap on. Ultimately they decided it wasn't worth it. Without knowing all those details and permutations it's hard to judge.

That said, open cap space in general is a valuable asset even if you don't have a plan for it right away. However, in the end, I'm just happy with getting rid of a negative value asset with the pick being the cherry on top.

Reactions: biturbo19 and God

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
In the cap era, teams basically don't trade big dollar cap hits without taking back cap, and that's what the Canucks did with Beauvillier. Obviously you hope the player doesn't have a huge negative trade value or anything, but its basically a requirement of making a big deal. Drance is being a bit of an idiot by not recognizing this reality.

Frankly, it looks like the Canucks did really well with identifying Beauvillier as a cap dump since they were ultimately able to get rid of him without penalty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad