Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CHI] Canucks acquire 5th Round Pick for F Anthony Beauvillier

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Beauvillier by the numbers:

55 games played in a Canucks sweater
28 points (41 pt pace)
11 goals (16 goal pace)
+2

Wasn't bad. Wasn't great. Was just kind of there. The move gives us the cap space to trade for another Top 4 RHD which is what we really needed.

Thanks Beau, best of luck in Chicago.

I would say that he was very good during the first few weeks here and actually showed some good chemistry with EP. He really wasn't able to provide any sort of offense in a bottom-six role though and then just became a vastly overpaid spot-filler.

I do think he'll be a good pickup for Chicago, though. He can play on any line and bring a competent level of play.

Reactions: timw33

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Bear is UFA I but I think his cap hit might be "taxed", meaning if 2 Mil average but this year a 2.5 mil cap hit, sort of like Nylander's was with TO. I think.
The Nylander situation is different as it was an RFA signing. Bear’s cap hit could be a lot higher if he signs a contract with any bonuses:

How is the cap hit calculated for one year contracts signed after the start of the season?​

If a player is signed to a one year contract after the start of the NHL season, that contract is subject to a unique cap hit calculation.

A notable aspect of the calculation is that the cap hit value is increased.

The cap hit is calculated as follows:
Cap hit = Signing bonus × total season days / season days remaining + base salary

Example:
Brogan Rafferty of the Vancouver Canucks signed a one year ELC on April 2, 2019. The contract has a base salary of $832,500, a signing bonus of $92,500, and there were 4 days remaining in the 186 day season:
Cap hit = $92,500 × 186 / 4 + $832,500
Cap hit: $5,133,750

I would say that he was very good during the first few weeks here and actually showed some good chemistry with EP. He really wasn't able to provide any sort of offense in a bottom-six role though and then just became a vastly overpaid spot-filler.

I do think he'll be a good pickup for Chicago, though. He can play on any line and bring a competent level of play.
I remember after the trade Isles fans commented that he was a very streaky player. I think we saw both sides of that in his time in Vancouver.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I remember after the trade Isles fans commented that he was a very streaky player. I think we saw both sides of that in his time in Vancouver.

Yeah, most middle six guys are. But in his case he seemed to only really produce when on the first line.

I probably liked him more than most. The one thing I always pushed back on with him is that he really seemed to get an early reputation here for being a "puck hound" who forechecked and made things happen and I just never saw that.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I liked Beauvillier as a player, just not at a 4m cap hit. The spots we were deploying him were not a good use of cap dollars. Honestly pretty shocked that we got something out of it

Reactions: theguardianII

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

28 points (41 pt pace)
11 goals (16 goal pace)
+2

Wasn't bad. Wasn't great. Was just kind of there. The move gives us the cap space to trade for another Top 4 RHD which is what we really needed.

16 points in his first 18 games.
12 points in his next 37 games.

1 ESG in his last 27 games.

Started well, and then just blended into being a replacement-level bland vanilla bottom-6 option.

Those last 37 games looked no different than Matthew Highmore, and I'm amazed we dumped a $4.15 million cap hit performing at that level for a positive return.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Started well, and then just blended into being a replacement-level bland vanilla bottom-6 option.

Those last 37 games looked no different than Matthew Highmore, and I'm amazed we dumped a $4.15 million cap hit performing at that level for a positive return.

But to be fair, that goal was the all-important 10-0 goal vs San Jose.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks had close to $10m in salary cap room tied up in Garland and Beauvillier. Somebody had to go--and the term on Garland's contact made it a lot more difficult to get a deal done.

There's a possibility the Canucks might have gotten a big more for Beauvillier closer to the trade deadline--but they need the cap room and potential help on the blueline a lot more right now.

Reactions: tradervik

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I’m guessing a week ago Chicago was asking Vancouver to retain a significant portion of Beau’s cap for probably similar or less return than they received. What a difference a week can make. That said, Allvin was able to be patient due to the Canucks hot start, but good job for capitalizing on that.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
There's a possibility the Canucks might have gotten a big more for Beauvillier closer to the trade deadline

I'm a little bit skeptical of that given how tight caps are going to be for the potential acquiring playoff-bound teams. $4.15MM is a lot to pay for a middle-6 winger who hasn't really been producing.

This was a rare opportunity where a lottery-bound team with tons of cap space and picks wanted a roster player without requiring the team to pay them to take one on.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Hall out for the year. Perry now terminated. AA out week to week. Chicago needed help. Took the best option of a UFA to be that has some offensive upset, but is streaky as heck.
Honestly, if they could have done Garland instead of Beauv. I think the Canucks would take it to get the remaining 2 years off the books.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yeah, most middle six guys are. But in his case he seemed to only really produce when on the first line.

I probably liked him more than most. The one thing I always pushed back on with him is that he really seemed to get an early reputation here for being a "puck hound" who forechecked and made things happen and I just never saw that.

I think there is a clear divide between how he performed when he first broke into the league and how he performed since signing his current contract. Ultimately despite having a good shot he's just not consistent enough of a finisher.

Which is exactly what happened to him in his last two years as an Islander.

I'm a little bit skeptical of that given how tight caps are going to be for the potential acquiring playoff-bound teams. $4.15MM is a lot to pay for a middle-6 winger who hasn't really been producing.
I think it's possible to get a bit more since we could retain at the deadline and he does have a "past history" of performing well in the playoffs but this is a situation where you take this deal and run.

This was a rare opportunity where a lottery-bound team with tons of cap space and picks wanted a roster player without requiring the team to pay them to take one on.
Yep. Or maybe it was a thank you for the Dickinson trade? :sarcasm:

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
The rumour was Perry banged Bedard's mother

Chicago refused to releast some details made it more suspicious
A: The rumor was started by an internet troll.
B: The Blackhawks debunked that rumor. It had nothing to do with a Blackhawks player or a family member but a female employee. (No, Connor's mom is not a Blackhawks employee.)
C. Davison is not releasing personal information about the incident because he is protecting the victim and her privacy. Nothing suspicious at all.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
A: The rumor was started by an internet troll.
B: The Blackhawks debunked that rumor. It had nothing to do with a Blackhawks player or a family member but a female employee. (No, Connor's mom is not a Blackhawks employee.)
C. Davison is not releasing personal information about the incident because he is protecting the victim and her privacy. Nothing suspicious at all.
But your C makes it more f***ed up.. he said no police no bad stuff like that - so no victim. If there is a victim and davidson is covering up - worse.

I think is just as much protecting perry as it is protecting the other party.

He called it deeply, or greatly disturbing.. which is odd if there is no chargeable offence, but there is so much you can press charges for, so maybe the other party doesnt want to or hopefully not being influenced

Reactions: Hansen and MS

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I think that Allvin has been trying to move Beauvillier since the end of last season..With that cap hit ,and last off seasons soft market, nobody was buying ..He had a career year last year (40 points).

I think he's a good useful player (streaky), but on the Canucks he was surplus, and miscast.

The Corey Perry situation created an available spot in the Chicago lineup..similar cap hit to Beauvillier, and the Hawks have cap space...The stars aligned for Patrick Allvin.

Best of luck to Beauvillier, I think he could prosper in Chicago.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

beauvillier's ceiling seems to be an intermittent complimentary scorer in the top 6 if working with elite talent. he is not consistent enough to hang there though. his more realistic role is as top 6 filler in a weak team like the hawks, or hanging on gamely playing the two way middle six game he has developed to avoid being a busted top 6 or bust player, but which does not really suit him. it's a credit to him that he has done that as most guys with his combination of skills and weaknesses just bust.

if you drop him to middle 6 he can play that role but despite his speed and agility he can't find time and space to generate his own offence so his point production flatlines without more skilled linemates. he does help less talented linemates a little and greatly improves line speed but ultimately he lacks elite playmaking or finishing skills so he can't truly drive play and most promising chances come to nothing on his stick.

the second you give him time and space as in the san jose game he can suddenly use his talents and score. he's just not quite nhl elite enough to do that against even average opposition but he is close. i think he'd tear a european league apart.

his most obvious weakness is lack of overall physicality and strength on the puck. he can mostly hold his own in the middle six despite this relying on skill and gameness but he cannot inflict his will and has to be opportunisic. so you did see him go to dirty areas but he can't hang there long and needs to be one and done and get out. to his credit he plays a disciplined game, sticks to the system and does try to use possession when he gets it and not just unload the puck too fast with a useless shot or low percentage play as many contact shy players do. he does give his best shot to make a play, but he has less time to work with than other players doing that because he will most likely lose possession when a defender closes on him.

i think while he was here they worked with him to play high forward more often because of his weakness in the corners and he was ok in that role the same way loui was for a while if you ignore what they were being paid. defensively he was surprisingly responsible and effective and he did battle more there than in the o-zone.

overall not close to being worth his salary but an nhl player with skill and speed willing and able to play a supporting middle six role. my worry longterm is he will wear down trying to play that role though so i think he's best off in a situation like chicago being a top 6 filler player on a bad team.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

28 points (41 pt pace)
11 goals (16 goal pace)
+2

Was just a cap dump when we acquired him. Much like when Kesler was dealt, we had to take a minor cap dump in Pizza Pizza. Only thing was, Jethro Bodine not only re-signed him but gave him a bit of a raise despite playing like dogshit. Difference between these two managements.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
beauvillier's ceiling seems to be an intermittent complimentary scorer in the top 6 if working with elite talent. he is not consistent enough to hang there though. his more realistic role is as top 6 filler in a weak team like the hawks, or hanging on gamely playing the two way middle six game he has developed to avoid being a busted top 6 or bust player, but which does not really suit him. it's a credit to him that he has done that as most guys with his combination of skills and weaknesses just bust.

if you drop him to middle 6 he can play that role but despite his speed and agility he can't find time and space to generate his own offence so his point production flatlines without more skilled linemates. he does help less talented linemates a little and greatly improves line speed but ultimately he lacks elite playmaking or finishing skills so he can't truly drive play and most promising chances come to nothing on his stick.

the second you give him time and space as in the san jose game he can suddenly use his talents and score. he's just not quite nhl elite enough to do that against even average opposition but he is close. i think he'd tear a european league apart.

his most obvious weakness is lack of overall physicality and strength on the puck. he can mostly hold his own in the middle six despite this relying on skill and gameness but he cannot inflict his will and has to be opportunisic. so you did see him go to dirty areas but he can't hang there long and needs to be one and done and get out. to his credit he plays a disciplined game, sticks to the system and does try to use possession when he gets it and not just unload the puck too fast with a useless shot or low percentage play as many contact shy players do. he does give his best shot to make a play, but he has less time to work with than other players doing that because he will most likely lose possession when a defender closes on him.

i think while he was here they worked with him to play high forward more often because of his weakness in the corners and he was ok in that role the same way loui was for a while if you ignore what they were being paid. defensively he was surprisingly responsible and effective and he did battle more there than in the o-zone.

overall not close to being worth his salary but an nhl player with skill and speed willing and able to play a supporting middle six role. my worry longterm is he will wear down trying to play that role though so i think he's best off in a situation like chicago being a top 6 filler player on a bad team.

Generally agree. He's a support piece. He can play up and down the lineup and contribute on special teams which will keep him in the league but you'll generally be left underwhelmed or at best adequately whelmed by his performance.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Generally agree. He's a support piece. He can play up and down the lineup and contribute on special teams which will keep him in the league but you'll generally be left underwhelmed or at best adequately whelmed by his performance.

I wouldn't even call him a support piece but he's an NHL player for sure. The offensive tools are there and he isn't a defensive liability.

If Beau was transported to 2000s he would probably be a 2nd line winger journeyman.

Reactions: m9

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

He can play on PP2 (which lots of guys can do) but the fact that he doesn't PK is actually a pretty big negative for a speedy bottom-6 winger. You would expect that a guy in his roster spot would have that utility.

Like I said above, the player we've seen this year is virtually indistinguishable from Matthew Highmore and how Highmore played when he was here. But Beauvillier seems to have a nice hot streak every year that bumps him up into the 15-goal 30-35 point range from just being a fungible 20-point $1 million bottom-6 guy.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Im trying to figure out which 5th we're getting but all I can see is that Chicago traded their 5ths in 2024 and 2025 to Toronto with Sam Lafferty lol

Ahh the condition on the 5th that Chicago traded to the Leafs was that its the lowest 5th that Chicago owns.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia