[VAN/CGY] Hunter Shinkaruk for Markus Granlund - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Gaunce for the most part has always been a better center it play into his game which is very cerebral. Benning and Co saw him as a winger. This is why they have been playing him there. I think part of his improvement is just going back to the position that he was best sited for.

No, they moved him to the wing to improve certain elements of his game. Not because they 'saw' him as a winger. Apparently this strategy has worked, and he's become a better player.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
No, they moved him to the wing to improve certain elements of his game. Not because they 'saw' him as a winger. Apparently this strategy has worked, and he's become a better player.

Hey, I fed my kid Big Macs every other day instead of vegetables, fruits and protein rich food.

He grew up and didn't die.

Great success.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Marko Dano was drafted in the same year as Shinkaruk and is a worse player ... but a blip of offense at the end of last year when he was called up to Columbus allowed him to be the centerpiece of a deal for Brandon Saad.

Might be time for Holiday Inn to start evicting some of the 'real' nhl gm's who haven't paid their rent lately....

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Shocked when I heard this a couple days after the trade. I've liked the Shinkaruk pick since it was made. Someone in the Canucks organization really doesn't like his play and clearly they don't think he'll be a successfull NHL player(Weisbrod?Green?). They had better be right.

Don't know what to say about Granlund as the target either. He really doesn't improve the size and forechecking problems the Canucks often find themselves with. They routinely get outmuscled and outplayed along the walls and I don't see this helping us.

That said in Granlund we seem to have a smart player with a good shot and nice set of puck skills- all Benning desirables .

All in all not entirely sure of what to make of this trade. Seems unnecessarily risky to me, sort of looks like some cowboy GMing going on by Benning and crew...but I guess all eyes on Shink now.

YourAverageFan*

Jan 19, 2016
Watched the entire 3rd period of the Canucks game tonight. Not sure how Granlund looked in the first 2 periods but he looked excellent in the 3rd from what I saw. A couple of great scoring chances (including a breakaway).

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Watched the entire 3rd period of the Canucks game tonight. Not sure how Granlund looked in the first 2 periods but he looked excellent in the 3rd from what I saw. A couple of great scoring chances (including a breakaway).

Pretty much everyone looked good in the 3rd, hard to get a read when Ottawa was a defensive mess.

We should get a better look at where he is at when we play
SJ*3
LA*1
Islanders*1

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver

He got better and better as the game went on. I'm still laughing at the idiots that said he was slow.

The guy is better than the people around here who like to pretend they knew who he was, give him credit for.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Hey, I fed my kid Big Macs every other day instead of vegetables, fruits and protein rich food.

He grew up and didn't die.

Great success.

[mod] He's succeeding because of how the team has brought him along, not in spite of it. That being said, still a unclear whether he eventually becomes an NHL regular.

Last edited by a moderator:

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
Looked decent in the first 2 periods and had that breakaway in the third. He also made a bad play late in the third in our zone where he didn't clear the zone. Overall I would say he had a pretty decent game but boy do I wish Hunter got that kind of a look here. Time will tell with both.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Looked decent in the first 2 periods and had that breakaway in the third. He also made a bad play late in the third in our zone where he didn't clear the zone. Overall I would say he had a pretty decent game but boy do I wish Hunter got that kind of a look here. Time will tell with both.

his highlight reel on sportsnet made him look like a superstar

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Yeah he looked good. Smart player. I liked his positioning. He's got some pretty quick hands as well. Could just be a player. He's better than Shinkaruk

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
[mod] He's succeeding because of how the team has brought him along, not in spite of it. That being said, still a unclear whether he eventually becomes an NHL regular.

That's like saying my kid is alive because I feed him Big Macs and fries everyday, completely ignoring his insanely powerful genes that enabled him to process these garbage into helpful nutrition.

He's well and alive and there's no possible alternative that could have significantly enhanced his physical growth.

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
He played a good game. But don't most players seem to play there best when first aquired. The adrenaline of a new team, the desire to impress your new team mates coach and gm.

Let's see how his play continues for the next 22 games.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
That's like saying my kid is alive because I feed him Big Macs and fries everyday, completely ignoring his insanely powerful genes that enabled him to process these garbage into helpful nutrition.

He's well and alive and there's no possible alternative that could have significantly enhanced his physical growth.

No, it really is nothing like saying that at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad