[VAN/CGY] Hunter Shinkaruk for Markus Granlund - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
But, if you've made up your mind that you want to trade a player there is absolutely no excuse for not maximizing an asset's value. He was the leading scorer in Utica. Bring him up to the NHL and give him a decent shot. If he puts up some points in the NHL his value goes up. Heck, maybe even management reassesses their views (unlikely with this group but who knows).

They got below value return for a promising young forward because they didn't even give him a chance at the NHL. What a complete waste.

Marko Dano was drafted in the same year as Shinkaruk and is a worse player ... but a blip of offense at the end of last year when he was called up to Columbus allowed him to be the centerpiece of a deal for Brandon Saad.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
I have no problem with Granlund as a player, but the fact that he's waiver eligible next year and plays a redundant position moving forward means this trade is puzzling. It wouldn't surprise me if we throw McCann to Utica next season due to the new logjam at center.

It's such a weird trade. Perfectly Benning.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
I have no problem with Granlund as a player, but the fact that he's waiver eligible next year and plays a redundant position moving forward means this trade is puzzling. It wouldn't surprise me if we throw McCann to Utica next season due to the new logjam at center.

It's such a weird trade. Perfectly Benning.

McCann isn't eligible for Utica.

Junior might actually be good for him though.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Marko Dano was drafted in the same year as Shinkaruk and is a worse player ... but a blip of offense at the end of last year when he was called up to Columbus allowed him to be the centerpiece of a deal for Brandon Saad.

Really? I thought getting the 2nd line center they've always needed was the centerpiece of that deal.

I was hoping the Canucks would be in on Anisimov but we sure didn't have a Saad to trade.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA

and now was a major piece in the andrew ladd deal

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
I don't get this trade at all, so next season our center depth will be
Sedins
Horvat
Sutter
Granlund

So how about McCann?

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
I don't get this trade at all, so next season our center depth will be
Sedins
Horvat
Sutter
Granlund

So how about McCann?

I think its pretty obvious at this point that McCann is not strong enough for the NHL and needs a year in the AHL. He will also be the first call up when somebody goes down.

I've have no problem with any of the kids development. I think management has done a good job. All the kids are inheriting good tendencies.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
To be fair, trying to pick up patterns or logic out of this group is like trying to decipher the ramblings of an insane person. They also seem to have very different templates for what's expected of a big player vs. a small player, etc.

But it isn't hogwash. It was what the organization listed as the reason for the position switch.

Regardless, as someone who called him a natural center from his time in junior, disagreed with the position switch when it happened, and watched him struggle somewhat on the wing until - magically - now playing the best hockey of his career at center, it's hard to take criticism of my point of view very seriously. Benning was wrong. Again.

So just to be clear :

1-They move Gaunce to the wing to develop elements of his game.

2-When they move him back to center, he's an improved prospect (playing the best hockey of his career, your words).

3-Benning was wrong to have Gaunce spend time at LW.

I find your logic here hard to follow, but let me guess, you just know in your gut that Gaunce would have developed "exponentially" better if that darn meddling Benning hadn't interfered.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
So just to be clear :

2-When they move him back to center, he's an improved prospect (playing the best hockey of his career, your words).

I find your logic here hard to follow, but let me guess, you just know in your gut that Gaunce would have developed "exponentially" better if that darn meddling Benning hadn't interfered.

Gaunce for the most part has always been a better center it play into his game which is very cerebral. Benning and Co saw him as a winger. This is why they have been playing him there. I think part of his improvement is just going back to the position that he was best sited for.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
So just to be clear :

It's almost like putting a plant under the sun makes it grow faster. Who knew.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
So just to be clear :

Considering we just DEALT a 1st round pick prospect winger for a "prospect center" - why would we on earth try to get another 1st round pick prospect center to shift to wing? Probably similiar upside in both (note - I'm not saying equal quality).

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
So just to be clear :

Well yeah, if you don't even try the guy who has a skillset best adapted to centre at centre, and then move him to centre, he'll probably look better there than in a position that doesn't suit him very well.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
What is Granlund's point expectations for next season? 25 points? Id say late 20's. 27-30+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad