Not open for further replies.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Continue...

Or cry, that's what I am going to do... :(

That said I'm not going to hate on Granlund. Think he can be a good player for us in the future. *Crosses fingers*.

Don't cry, save that for when Subban gets traded for a bag of pucks.
:sarcasm:

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
vey, clendenning, granlund, sbisa, barktowski, ect...

for a hyped scouter, benning's pro scouting has been an unmitigated disaster

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Watch J.Subban be traded next :naughty:

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. They probably think he's too small and a few years away still and likely want to speed up the rebuild. Trading him for a 23-24 year old defensemen who can't crack another team's roster would fit right in with the rest of their moves. Especially in light of the fact that Benning admitted they tried to trade Shinkaruk for a defenseman.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
It's not even about Shinkaruk. It's about the thought process - or lack thereof - behind this move.

I don't even know if Shinkaruk is a sure bet to be a regular NHL'er. It doesn't mean that he, as a former 1st round draft pick who is currently one of the best 21 and under performers in the AHL, doesn't have much more value than this.

More gross mismanaging of assets. That's the issue here. If Shinkaruk was included in a bigger trade for a really good young player, nobody would be complaining. Again, it's not even really about Shinkaruk.

While I don't like the trade and think they have given up the greater upside of Shinkaruk, I think some perspective is needed:

Shinkaruk in the year he turned 20:
16g 15a in 74 games with AHL Utica

Granlund in the year he turned 20:
25g 21a in 52 games with AHL Adirondack

Granlund born in April, Shinkaruk in October.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I wish the past 3 years were just a really bad dream, and I would wake up any minute now...

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I still think there could be something else at play here.

Logjam isn't the correct word, because the Canucks are by no means 'deep' at center, but I think we do have a disproportionate number of centers relative to wingers.

I hope there are serious talks going on between the Canucks and Tampa if you catch my drift. #Drouin

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
:laugh: Baby Subban.

You'll never learn... you just went and picked another Gillis guy.

btw- I'm loving how you guys are all getting hosed by Benning's true geniousness.

The stealth tank is still fully on.

He just knows he'll likely be drafting one of the Finns and wants someone on the team to help translate and help him adjust to N.A.

;)

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
While I don't like the trade and think they have given up the greater upside of Shinkaruk, I think some perspective is needed:

Granlund had 2 years of playing against men and wasn't coming off an injury. But the real issue here is that he stopped progressing and showed nothing at the NHL level (mediocre production, horrible advanced stats).

People are using the exact same arguments they did for Clendening & Vey. These trades almost never work. (Baertschi has been the best of the bunch and he's currently on pace for 30 points from the 2nd line. His best stretch was 10 points in 20 games while playing with PPG Horvat.)

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

Granlund was drafted 5 years ago and has flatlined. That's why people don't think much of him. If Shinkaruk plateaus over the next 2 years and is coming up on waiver eligibility in 2018 without establishing himself as an NHLer he won't be worth much either, but that hasn't happened yet.

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
I still think there could be something else at play here.

Logjam isn't the correct word, because the Canucks are by no means 'deep' at center, but I think we do have a disproportionate number of centers relative to wingers.

I hope there are serious talks going on between the Canucks and Tampa if you catch my drift. #Drouin

Horvat for Drouin. Its gonna happen

SvenBaertschi

Not Sven Baerschi
Aug 19, 2012
Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. They probably think he's too small and a few years away still and likely want to speed up the rebuild. Trading him for a 23-24 year old defensemen who can't crack another team's roster would fit right in with the rest of their moves. Especially in light of the fact that Benning admitted they tried to trade Shinkaruk for a defenseman.

WOW that actually blows my mind if true. How does one get talked in to trading for Granlund when looking for a defenceman.
I really needed a truck but this smart car is so appealing...

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Granlund was drafted 5 years ago and has flatlined. That's why people don't think much of him. If Shinkaruk plateaus over the next 2 years and is coming up on waiver eligibility in 2018 without establishing himself as an NHLer he won't be worth much either, but that hasn't happened yet.

A handful of people still haven't learned how players approaching waiver eligibility go down in value since it means their time is essentially up on developing in the AHL.

Shinkaruk had 2 years to go of free development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad