Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CBJ] John Tortorella for a 2nd Round Draft Pick

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
Or to ensure they pick him up at all. It may not be about the year at all. If the Jackets were balking, they probably had to be given some incentive to go ahead and do it.
That, or they were going to challenge the rule when it gets adjusted / repealed.
Initially, Columbus balked at the concept of surrendering a draft pick, arguing the rule that allows for it is either going to be overhauled in January or dissolved.
Makes me think there was a threat in there that they'd either walk, or stall on giving the pick, hoping that when the rule changes they wouldn't have to forfeit it. The Canucks offered to help CBJ out a bit by covering some of the salary if CBJ hired him and passed over the pick without issue.

Seems like a win-win move, tbh.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I wonder how much we paid for that pick. Would be interesting to know the monetary value of a 2nd round pick.

Didn't we buy a 3rd rounder a few years back in exchange for taking on Reinprecht's salary? Something around 1.5mil I think.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
I wonder how much we paid for that pick. Would be interesting to know the monetary value of a 2nd round pick.

Didn't we buy a 3rd rounder a few years back in exchange for taking on Reinprecht's salary? Something around 1.5mil I think.

Isn't it $5 million?

His contract was the same as AV's who got 1m/per for 5 years.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
I heard Johansen got benched for the last six minutes of Tort's first game. Off to a promising start!

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

it would be hard to say because we were on the hook for torts salary regardless

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I heard Johansen got benched for the last six minutes of Tort's first game. Off to a promising start!

Yep...took all of just over two periods for Johansen to land in Torts' doghouse....apparently the guy got out of shape during his training-camp holdout..if they keep losing I see some big moves coming out of Columbus...maybe we can trade that second-rounder back to them in some sort of multi-player deal.:yo:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Yep...took all of just over two periods for Johansen to land in Torts' doghouse....apparently the guy got out of shape during his training-camp holdout..if they keep losing I see some big moves coming out of Columbus...maybe we can trade that second-rounder back to them in some sort of multi-player deal.:yo:

Jack Johnson....(my nightmare).:amazed:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Isn't it $5 million?

His contract was the same as AV's who got 1m/per for 5 years.

It's been reported that Tort's contract was for $2M a year. If Canucks agreed to pay half, it would be $3M over the next 3 years. Reinprecht's salary was a little over $2M.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver

Whatever we paid it was worth it for us and Torts is Italian for train wreck right?

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Then we would have
Shinkaruk - Vey - Etem

That was the first line for the Medicine Hat Tigers, when all three set career highs numbers in the WHL.

Would make a great AHL but are any of the 3 going to make an NHL pension?

I had high hopes for Hunter but he has to make serious progress soon here.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
It's been reported that Tort's contract was for $2M a year. If Canucks agreed to pay half, it would be $3M over the next 3 years. Reinprecht's salary was a little over $2M.

From what I've read I'm under the impression the Canucks are paying ~half (could be more) of this years salary only.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Still early but if Baertschi busts, this pick makes up for it :P

Now we just need to fire Willie and have someone else hire him to replace the Vey pick :D

nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6

Jul 14, 2009
Sudbury
has it been confirmed by the league that we got the bj's 2nd rounder for torts?

I never did read anything from nhl.com on it... wondering if anything's been published since?

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Nope, CJ can decide it. One of 16, 17 or 18

They have to decide in June. My best guess is that they pick 2018. Any GM would try to push that as far into the future as possible. Not as if CBJ are likely to be offer sheeting anyone in the summer of 2017.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I wonder if we won't get the pick anymore if the league changes the rule, even if the Torts hiring happened before the rule change.

I have no idea how the league could make such a huge mistake like this. It's obvious that there shouldn't be any compensation for fired employees, how does that make any sense.

Last edited:

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I wonder if we won't get the pick anymore if the league changes the rule, even if the Torts hiring happens before the rule change.

I have no idea how the league could make such a huge mistake like this. It's obvious that there shouldn't be any compensation for fired employees, how does that make any sense.

Well, maybe they were hoping teams would think a bit more before firing a coach.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Well, maybe they were hoping teams would think a bit more before firing a coach.

Kind of a B**ch that they keep using the Canucks and Torts as the example.

What about the Pens? They "reassigned" Blysma from head coach to scout after 2014 season. Then he gets the Buffalo offer to be a head coach again and the Pens get a 3rd round pick for him?

You telling me that seems fair?

In the NFL, teams are required to allow their assistants and co-ordinators to interview for vacancies.

There's only 30 jobs in the NHL for head coaches and GM's. If you can move up, then I think you should let the person move on.

You shouldn't let a head coach go to another team to be their head coach, same as a GM. Front office can be trickier, cause there are multiple titles.

ping

Aug 25, 2003
Visit site

What about the Pens? They "reassigned" Blysma from head coach to scout after 2014 season. Then he gets the Buffalo offer to be a head coach again and the Pens get a 3rd round pick for him?

I have a feeling that we are going to get Luonged again.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
isnt there an agreement between the BJs and the canucks that we are taking on some of his salary this year? I very highly doubt the league can retroactively nullify this whole arrangement. quit worrying over nothing

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Could've sworn on TSN Mackenzie was saying if they do change the rule, it won't be applied retroactively. We won't be stripped of a pick as far as I know.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

In the NFL, teams are required to allow their assistants and co-ordinators to interview for vacancies.

There's only 30 jobs in the NHL for head coaches and GM's. If you can move up, then I think you should let the person move on.

You shouldn't let a head coach go to another team to be their head coach, same as a GM. Front office can be trickier, cause there are multiple titles.

The issue at hand isn't about keeping guys at lower level, it's about teams having to pay draft pick compensation. Now no team is going to care about losing a 2nd round pick if they decide another teams AHL coach is the guy they want, nothings stopping this type of poaching to happen. The point with the Vancouver/Torts situation is we had fired him, yet since he was still under contract Columbus had to pay the same compensation.

That's a loophole they're going to close, it would be BS if they were going to retroactively take that pick back, we're talking about Columbus here, not Lou Lammorrelo. I think it's pretty safe.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
trade you guys back that pick for johansen...

sure, benning is a boston spy. but we have torts spying on cbus for us. tanked us to the jake pick, then alienates ryjo so we can get him for jake++++.

hopefully jarmo has a spy of his own somewhere...

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
has it been confirmed by the league that we got the bj's 2nd rounder for torts?

Oh man, my mind is in the gutter because when I first saw this thread; I just quickly read the thread title and thought something else...:laugh:

Great move by Benning (as I assumed he pushed for this compensation).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad