Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CBJ] John Tortorella for a 2nd Round Draft Pick

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013
trade you guys back that pick for johansen...

sure, benning is a boston spy. but we have torts spying on cbus for us. tanked us to the jake pick, then alienates ryjo so we can get him for jake++++.

hopefully jarmo has a spy of his own somewhere...

Illuminati confirmed

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009
Oh man, my mind is in the gutter because when I first saw this thread; I just quickly read the thread title and thought something else...:laugh:

Great move by Benning (as I assumed he pushed for this compensation).

No, Benning had no hand in this. The pick was automatically given to us as a result of Torterella's hiring. I believe Benning doesn't even have to give permission for teams to speak to a coach he fired.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
No, Benning had no hand in this. The pick was automatically given to us as a result of Torterella's hiring. I believe Benning doesn't even have to give permission for teams to speak to a coach he fired.

Benning, according to reports, had to push for the pick. See Post #215.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
isnt there an agreement between the BJs and the canucks that we are taking on some of his salary this year? I very highly doubt the league can retroactively nullify this whole arrangement. quit worrying over nothing

When fired coaches get hired usually the teams split the contract. It happened this way before the compensation rule, too.

Well, maybe they were hoping teams would think a bit more before firing a coach.

That doesn't make any sense. Getting compensation for a fired employee would give management another reason to fire people.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This is obviously going to get fixed....too many members of the media and owners have complained....just hope they don't make the rule change retroactive and the 'Nucks lose that Jackets' second rounder.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
That doesn't make any sense. Getting compensation for a fired employee would give management another reason to fire people.

i don't think that's the point. and i don't think that's true, either. i mean, i don't think any owner or GM is going to hire a bunch of good coaches and fire them hoping some other team is going to hire them and give up a bunch of free second round picks. that's insanity.

i believe the compensatory pick rule is because if you want to talk to another team's fired coach, or assistant coach, or minor league coach, all of whom are under contract, you have to ask permission first or it's tampering. the compensatory pick is to encourage teams to let their guys take those meetings.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
i don't think that's the point. and i don't think that's true, either. i mean, i don't think any owner or GM is going to hire a bunch of good coaches and fire them hoping some other team is going to hire them and give up a bunch of free second round picks. that's insanity.

Obviously not, I never said that.

i believe the compensatory pick rule is because if you want to talk to another team's fired coach, or assistant coach, or minor league coach, all of whom are under contract, you have to ask permission first or it's tampering. the compensatory pick is to encourage teams to let their guys take those meetings.

Obviously yes. The compensatory pick is compensation for having to let go of a valued employee. It hurts your organization, so you get a draft pick in return.

Fired employees aren't valued employees. Receiving compensation for someone you don't want and have let go makes no sense, and like I said, it's baffling how they botched the rule.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Fired employees aren't valued employees. Receiving compensation for someone you don't want and have let go makes no sense, and like I said, it's baffling how they botched the rule.
I don't know how the NHL defines firing, but if a coach is still being paid, they're not so much "fired" as simply relegated to other (probably non-existent) duties within the organization. A fired coach still drawing a salary wouldn't be able to collect (un)employment insurance, for example (ignoring the question whether they are employees or contractors). So if a team is paying a fired coach, the team presumably should have a right to them as an asset.

Now whether trading NHL currency (in the form of draft picks) is the appropriate mechanism for purchasing that asset is another question, since presumably releasing the team from their financial obligation (which is what I had always assumed happened until now) is probably payment enough. In a free market, though, the teams would simply negotiate whatever agreement they could come to, whether it was nothing, a lump sum of cash, a draft pick, or even a roster player (like the Keenan for Nedved trade!)

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Yeah, you take someone I'm gainfully employing I want compensation.

If I fire a coach, I think the best way would be for the coach (or GM) and team to be able to mutually agree to waive future payments, and then the former employee can sign with whomever without further involvement of the past team. But if the fired coach/GM insists on collecting the rest of his contract fee, then sure, forbid any discussion from other teams unless they pay up if a new job emerges.

nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6

Jul 14, 2009
Sudbury
I have a feeling that we are going to get Luonged again.

But this isn't even a good example.
In the Luongo incident, the league punished us retroactively for a NON-existing rule.

Here, I can see the league retroactively clawing back the draft pick.

Either way, BS, and it's highly likely to happen IMO.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
From reading post #215, it doesn't so much seem like Benning had to fight for the pick as it seemed like CBJ was trying to pull a fast one.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Obviously not, I never said that.

Obviously yes. The compensatory pick is compensation for having to let go of a valued employee. It hurts your organization, so you get a draft pick in return.

they're still employees. its not really the canucks fault that there's some ******** stigma against re-purposing multi-millionaire qualified failures

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck

Are we still going to receive a pick for Torts? We haven't technically received a pick yet since Columbus gets to decide to give up their 2016/17/18 pick.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Benning's best trade is one he didn't even make. :laugh:

can't wait till we trade the pick for another project.

I'll guess Gormley.

palefire

Jun 3, 2005
Not having us keep the pick would be a mess, because the compensation was part of a more complicated agreement (we agreed to pay part of Torts's salary in order to encourage the hire, so we'd obviously want our money back from CBJ, etc).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Now that's the answer to a future NHL trivia question.....which team in the NHL was the last one to be awarded a compensatory draft pick for the signing of a failed coach/gm?...almost makes up for flushing away second rounders on Vey-Baertschi.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Now that's the answer to a future NHL trivia question.....which team in the NHL was the last one to be awarded a compensatory draft pick for the signing of a failed coach/gm?...almost makes up for flushing away second rounders on Vey-Baertschi.

Easy now.

There's still time for Jim "I love picks" Benning to swap that 2nd for a 3rd.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
there you guys go. something in the Canucks favour. good to see the league rid of this bs compensation for fired personnel though.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
there you guys go. something in the Canucks favour. good to see the league rid of this bs compensation for fired personnel though.

If they could award us a 1st overall pick that would be nice.

Oh and maybe take a couple teams away rather than add two more teams to get in our way of a cup. Guarantee you Vegas or Quebec will win a cup before us just like Anaheim, Tampa, Carolina, and Colorado.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
If they could award us a 1st overall pick that would be nice.

Oh and maybe take a couple teams away rather than add two more teams to get in our way of a cup. Guarantee you Vegas or Quebec will win a cup before us just like Anaheim, Tampa, Carolina, and Colorado.

They awarded the Oilers with a slew of 1st overall pick, they seem just as far from cup contention as they did before they got all those picks. If the NHL wants to award us with something I'd hope for a good management group. :laugh:

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
league felt bad for us because we have Benning

if this was Gillis lol it'd be reversed

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It actually gets better...I understand the Leafs had to surrender third-rounders to get Babcock and Lamoriello....while we got a second for Torts....go figure.:handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad