Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CAR] Zac Dalpe and Jeremy Welsh for Kellan Tochkin and 4th

Win One Before I Die

Cautious Optimism
Jul 31, 2007
That's beyond a home run. That's hitting the ball to Europe.

That's like hitting a grand slam to win the World Series, which goes on to also knock a nuclear warhead out of the air from an unprovoked attack by the Commies to win the cold war.

Wetcoaster

Good skater, very good shot, good and maybe even very good hands, etc. There's clearly quite a number of tools there. When he first came over he was losing pretty much all his board battles but he has improved a lot in that regard. Looks like a guy that has some potential to move up the lineup with time to at least see if he can break out.
Being around players like the Sedins, Kesler Hamhuis, etc he has seen the value of off-ice conditioning. I think that may have been an issue for him in the past.

As the Canucks have learned, you can never have too much depth at centre. GMMG has definitely targeted that position for an upgrade and both Welsh and Dalpe fit that strategy as do the Santorelli and Richardson off-season signings.

And also the drafting Horvat, Cassels and Gaunce as well as the free agent signings of Kellan Lain and Dane Fox are transforming this former black hole in the system.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Horvat might even get a call-up like Hodgson did in 2009.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassan
Burrows - Santorelli - Kesler
Booth - Horvat - Hansen
Sestito - Richardson - Weise

It looks solid when everyone is healthy. We also have Schroeder, Dalpe, and Welsh for certre depth.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
So juniors can come back up once the CHL season is done, right?

Does the bench get longer and waivers turned off at some point as well?

Wetcoaster

Yes once a junior player's season ends he can play pro (AHL/NHL) per the NHL agreement with the CHL.

After the trade deadline the limit on NHL roster limits disappear subject to the salary cap. Of course once the post-season begins the salary cap ceases to have effect. Per the CBA:

16.4 Active Roster Size; Playing Roster.

(a) There shall be a maximum of twenty-three (23) Players on each Club's Active Roster at any one time, provided, however, that, on the date of each season's Trade Deadline, a Club's Active Roster may be increased to any number of Players the Club, in its discretion, so determines, subject to Article 50.​

Waivers continue until such time as an NHL team is eliminated from the play-offs. Note the "Playing Season" includes play-off games.

13.2 The "Playing Season Waiver Period" shall begin on the twelfth (12th) day prior to the start of the Regular Season and end on the day following the last day of a Club's Playing Season.​

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004

Players can be claimed off of waivers after the trade deadline, but they can't play with their new teams for the rest of the season.

However, the number of call-ups after the trade deadline is also limited, so you can't just shuttle players back and forth willy-nilly.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Being around players like the Sedins, Kesler Hamhuis, etc he has seen the value of off-ice conditioning. I think that may have been an issue for him in the past.

As the Canucks have learned, you can never have too much depth at centre. GMMG has definitely targeted that position for an upgrade and both Welsh and Dalpe fit that strategy as do the Santorelli and Richardson off-season signings.

And also the drafting Horvat, Cassels and Gaunce as well as the free agent signings of Kellan Lain and Dane Fox are transforming this former black hole in the system.

Yes, I have noticed this too. He is almost deliberately targeting the position over and over again. Centre crazed it seems. I like it.

More centres allow for more roster variation, which should lead to better use of the existing talent. I hope he continues along this line of thinking.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Yes, I have noticed this too. He is almost deliberately targeting the position over and over again. Centre crazed it seems. I like it.

More centres allow for more roster variation, which should lead to better use of the existing talent. I hope he continues along this line of thinking.

He's late to the party. Better late than never I guess.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Hard not to like this trade. The odds of the 4th ever playing as many games as we've already received from Welsh and Dalpe are pretty long.

Personally, I feel Welsh is the better--lets say safer--long term prospect of the two, but Dalpe's play has definitely been improving. I agree with those that don't see anything exceptional in Dalpe's game, but imo Welsh's size and strong defensive positioning should earn him at least a 4th line spot next season.

Dalpe is okay, but I don't see a big offensive prospect there. I've heard the quote from Ward, and certainly give more credence to an NHL goalie who's practiced against him, compared to my viewing him on TV. But I see a quick shot with a fairly average release, okay accuracy and a shot that's not heavy enough to bulge twine never mind break glass. I dunno, just haven't seen many goalies have troubles with his shot (when it actually hits the net). Decent enough add on and provides much needed depth down the middle, but if I had to bet on one being a Canuck 3 years from now, I'd take Welsh.

Good trade though. Solid stand up double with potenttial to steal third.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
He's late to the party. Better late than never I guess.

The organization is late, he isn't. He has targeted the position with high draft picks, trades, and free agents since he got here.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
The organization is late, he isn't. He has targeted the position with high draft picks, trades, and free agents since he got here.

But only recently has he collected them at such a feverish rate. We've been short on centre depth in the organization for longer than he's been here but it took him too long to remedy it imo.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
But only recently has he collected them at such a feverish rate. We've been short on centre depth in the organization for longer than he's been here but it took him too long to remedy it imo.

I don't know about that. He spent 1st rounders on Hodgson and Schroeder and made Malhotra a key UFA acquisition. I guess with Horvat, Santorelli, and Richardson he has been more successful in his attempts if anything.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I don't know about that. He spent 1st rounders on Hodgson and Schroeder and made Malhotra a key UFA acquisition. I guess with Horvat, Santorelli, and Richardson he has been more successful in his attempts if anything.

Also tried an offer sheet to Backes before he broke out.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
yeah. if anything, he's shifted some focus from centres to defencemen

Last edited:

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I'd agree with Scurr here - they lacked centre depth in 2011 and it absolutely killed them when Manny went down. Good to see them finally target more C's in their acquisitions. There's a reason why the better teams in the league have depth at that position.

Ironically they had more in the previous two years: 2008-09 and 2009-10.

Will he need to be waived to be sent down to Utica?

He'd have to be sent down on a conditioning loan.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver

Sedin - Sedin - Kassan
Burrows - Santorelli - Kesler
Booth - Horvat - Hansen
Sestito - Richardson - Weise

It looks solid when everyone is healthy. We also have Schroeder, Dalpe, and Welsh for certre depth.

Higgins????

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Burrows Kesler Sanotrelli
Higgins Horvat Hansen
Booth Richardson Weise

Wetcoaster

Pretty much since 1970 when the Canucks missed out on Gilbert Perrault on the spin of the Wheel of Misfortune... and then passed on centres Darryl Sittler and Rick McLeish to draft Dale Tallon.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Personally, I feel Welsh is the better--lets say safer--long term prospect of the two, but Dalpe's play has definitely been improving. I agree with those that don't see anything exceptional in Dalpe's game, but imo Welsh's size and strong defensive positioning should earn him at least a 4th line spot next season.
I like Welsh better as well. Thought Welsh was getting better every game when he had that stretch of games when he was in the lineup every night. To me, Dalpe reminds me a bit of Jeff Tambellini, not good enough for the top 6 and not strong and physical enough for the bottom 6 (I say this with the belief that Tambellini was a good acquisition and effective player for the Canucks). Welsh, on the other hand, has all the makings of a solid bottom 6 forward if Welsh can find a way to get into the lineup consistently and keeps throwing those big hits while creating some scoring chances. With that said, Dalpe does give the Canucks a different look as Dalpe is a better puckhandler and passer than Welsh. The past few games Dalpe's line has been effective.

Pretty much not unless the Canucks reach the Cup finals. Horvat's season won't end until after the Memorial Cup.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Don't forget that some of Gillis' first moves were making that two year $20M offer to Sundin, signing Demitra (who played center before RIP), signing Ryan Johnson to center the 4th line, and then picked up Wellwood on waivers. Gillis also signed Bolduc and Krog for AHL depth.

I'd agree with Scurr here - they lacked centre depth in 2011 and it absolutely killed them when Manny went down.
To be fair, Malhotra was their big acquisition that summer and Gillis had the likes of Rypien (RIP), Tambellini, Joel Perrault, Bolduc, Hodgson, Schroeder, Bliznak, and Volpatti competing for the 4th line center spot. Pretty much all of them are natural center icemen. And considering that the Canucks advanced to the Cup finals without Malhotra, it's hard to say the lack of center depth "killed" the Canucks in 2011.

I think the truth is that Gillis has targeted guys who can play the center position since he arrived, the question is whether those guys were capable of contributing to the Vancouver Canucks. In reality, Santorelli, Welsh, and Dalpe were considered AHL bound when the Canucks acquired them and it just so happens to they have ended up contributing to the Canucks, but this could be a result of having Torts as the headcoach rather than AV.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Don't forget that some of Gillis' first moves were making that two year $20M offer to Sundin, signing Demitra (who played center before RIP), signing Ryan Johnson to center the 4th line, and then picked up Wellwood on waivers. Gillis also signed Bolduc and Krog for AHL depth.

To be fair, Malhotra was their big acquisition that summer and Gillis had the likes of Rypien (RIP), Tambellini, Joel Perrault, Bolduc, Hodgson, Schroeder, Bliznak, and Volpatti competing for the 4th line center spot. Pretty much all of them are natural center icemen. And considering that the Canucks advanced to the Cup finals without Malhotra, it's hard to say the lack of center depth "killed" the Canucks in 2011.

I think the truth is that Gillis has targeted guys who can play the center position since he arrived, the question is whether those guys were capable of contributing to the Vancouver Canucks. In reality, Santorelli, Welsh, and Dalpe were considered AHL bound when the Canucks acquired them and it just so happens to they have ended up contributing to the Canucks, but this could be a result of having Torts as the headcoach rather than AV.

Perhaps 'targeting' Cs was the wrong way to phrase the earlier statement. Gillis has targeted Cs in the past, true. Some even of high quality. Usually though, it's been about filling holes - not having an overabundance. Further, an overabundance of capable Cs (to your point about contribution). Execution has been much better of late.

If I look at that 4th line competition for 2011, and what there is now, the quality is much better now (Hodgson was not ready). Yes, the team advanced without Malhotra, but the offensive difference between going to Lapierre vs. Richardson/Santorelli is noticeable. The latter two bring more vision and offensive ability to the position (while giving up the size of Lappy).

While Torts is a factor, I think they are taking better chances. I felt Santorelli was a decent depth add (NHL), and Richardson no different than Lappy overall. Schroeder was/is better than Ebbett. Dalpe (who I wanted the Canucks to draft in 2008) and Welsh I thought were gambles that would ultimately fail. With all 5 being in the mix to contribute, and actually giving the team a boost, it's made centre ice in the bottom6 stable - even with Schroeder out for a half a year and Dalpe just recently coming around.

CanadianFlyersFan18

Aug 24, 2009
Hard not to like this trade. The odds of the 4th ever playing as many games as we've already received from Welsh and Dalpe are pretty long.

Dalpe is okay, but I don't see a big offensive prospect there. I've heard the quote from Ward, and certainly give more credence to an NHL goalie who's practiced against him, compared to my viewing him on TV. But I see a quick shot with a fairly average release, okay accuracy and a shot that's not heavy enough to bulge twine never mind break glass. I dunno, just haven't seen many goalies have troubles with his shot (when it actually hits the net). Decent enough add on and provides much needed depth down the middle, but if I had to bet on one being a Canuck 3 years from now, I'd take Welsh.

Good trade though. Solid stand up double with potenttial to steal third.

Dalps simply needs to play with skilled players whether that be on the wing or down the middle. He has a very heavy and sneaky shot but needs someone to create chances for him. And as for not breaking glass, we'll lets just say the rink in good old Paris ontario replaces a few panels glass a few times each and every summer due to that kid.

Last edited by a moderator:

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Perhaps 'targeting' Cs was the wrong way to phrase the earlier statement. Gillis has targeted Cs in the past, true. Some even of high quality. Usually though, it's been about filling holes - not having an overabundance. Further, an overabundance of capable Cs (to your point about contribution). Execution has been much better of late.

If I look at that 4th line competition for 2011, and what there is now, the quality is much better now (Hodgson was not ready). Yes, the team advanced without Malhotra, but the offensive difference between going to Lapierre vs. Richardson/Santorelli is noticeable. The latter two bring more vision and offensive ability to the position (while giving up the size of Lappy).

While Torts is a factor, I think they are taking better chances. I felt Santorelli was a decent depth add (NHL), and Richardson no different than Lappy overall. Schroeder was/is better than Ebbett. Dalpe (who I wanted the Canucks to draft in 2008) and Welsh I thought were gambles that would ultimately fail. With all 5 being in the mix to contribute, and actually giving the team a boost, it's made centre ice in the bottom6 stable - even with Schroeder out for a half a year and Dalpe just recently coming around.

I remember when people wanted Zach Boychuk in 2008 over Hodgson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad