Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CAR] Zac Dalpe and Jeremy Welsh for Kellan Tochkin and 4th

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I wouldn't call it a homerun...

This was a homerun:

To the Canucks: Ehrhoff + Lukowich

Giving up: Rahimi + White.

Don't forget though that by not signing White, SJ got a compensatory 2nd round pick. That trade was basically a 2nd + bust for Ehrhoff + salary dump. Still a win, but everyone seems to forget about the 2nd rounder.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Don't forget though that by not signing White, SJ got a compensatory 2nd round pick. That trade was basically a 2nd + bust for Ehrhoff + salary dump. Still a win, but everyone seems to forget about the 2nd rounder.

I don't think they got the second. They have to offer White a contract in order to get the compensatory pick, and there is no way he would not accept a contract if offered. In the end, it really was just Ehrhoff and Lukowich for Rahimi.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I don't think they got the second. They have to offer White a contract in order to get the compensatory pick, and there is no way he would not accept a contract if offered. In the end, it really was just Ehrhoff and Lukowich for Rahimi.

You don't have to offer NCAA players a contract to get a compensatory pick for unsigned 1st rounders. As a result of not signing White, San Jose got 55th overall in the 2012 draft.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I hope I'm wrong but.... to me, dalpe just appears to be just ok in many things but not exceptional in any one thing that would make him stick out in a good way. Unless he develops an exceptional trait, I don't think he'll ever amount to too much but he'll remain a serviceable role player/fill in for the team. Serviceable depth that won't look out of place is still valuable to the team.

He's a good skater and I think he's got some offensive instincts, but he's been so focused on keeping it simple and trying to earn his ice time every night we probably won't see more of that until he learns to consistently incorporate the other parts of his game that he needs to improve. Being stronger with the puck would be one thing, I think. He seems to get knocked off of it a little too easily.

Agreed with most here though - liking the trade. Another stick-tap to the pro scouts.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
The 4th rounder might have done that too eventually, but I'm fine with the trade-off to get a bit of help now. This team needs to be supplementing its core now. I think if you took Tochkin and Welsh out of that deal it still gets made. It was just a bit of housekeeping on both sides.

Well the housekeeping grossly favours the Canucks (Welsh @ $600 000 vs. Tochkin @ $400 000) so kudos to the Canucks I guess.

And yes, when I posted the Tochkin update I was aware he was a contract dump in the transaction and that nobody expected him to contribute at even the AHL level this year.

thatsthejoke.jpg

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
He's a good skater and I think he's got some offensive instincts, but he's been so focused on keeping it simple and trying to earn his ice time every night we probably won't see more of that until he learns to consistently incorporate the other parts of his game that he needs to improve. Being stronger with the puck would be one thing, I think. He seems to get knocked off of it a little too easily.

Agreed with most here though - liking the trade. Another stick-tap to the pro scouts.

Good skater, very good shot, good and maybe even very good hands, etc. There's clearly quite a number of tools there. When he first came over he was losing pretty much all his board battles but he has improved a lot in that regard. Looks like a guy that has some potential to move up the lineup with time to at least see if he can break out.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
You don't have to offer NCAA players a contract to get a compensatory pick for unsigned 1st rounders. As a result of not signing White, San Jose got 55th overall in the 2012 draft.

What a bizarre rule.

Obviously there are legit situations like Cherepanov dying or Wheeler refusing to sign or what have you, but a team that fails to even offer a contract shouldn't get anything in return - it's basically rewarding teams for making awful draft selections.

And it's not just NCAA players either, based on the wording in the CBA. Cherepanov and Nick Boynton would be examples of non-NCAA players who teams received compensation for.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Good skater, very good shot, good and maybe even very good hands, etc. There's clearly quite a number of tools there. When he first came over he was losing pretty much all his board battles but he has improved a lot in that regard. Looks like a guy that has some potential to move up the lineup with time to at least see if he can break out.

Agreed, and has some playmaking ability too from some of the plays I've seen him make. It may not happen this year but I keep thinking he'd be a decent fit with Kesler. Almost all the attributes you'd want in a linemate for him are there - just have to continue improving his board play. Also looks like he could use some bulk.

Did well alongside J. Staal last year - albeit in a small sample - in a similar role to what that would entail too.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

Agreed.

He has the offensive tools to contribute. Once he rounds out his ability to play in traffic and along the boards, he should be a solid tweener for the team.

Those abilities will make him a much more dynamic offensive player.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
What a bizarre rule.

Obviously there are legit situations like Cherepanov dying or Wheeler refusing to sign or what have you, but a team that fails to even offer a contract shouldn't get anything in return - it's basically rewarding teams for making awful draft selections.

And it's not just NCAA players either, based on the wording in the CBA. Cherepanov and Nick Boynton would be examples of non-NCAA players who teams received compensation for.
We might've been better off taking the compensatory 2nd round pick for RJ Umberger....course, knowing how Burke felt about 2nd round picks, we would've have owned that pick for long anyhow.:laugh:

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
We might've been better off taking the compensatory 2nd round pick for RJ Umberger....course, knowing how Burke felt about 2nd round picks, we would've have owned that pick for long anyhow.:laugh:

Man. I know Burke and Umberger did not see eye to eye on contracts (ie. he poisoned that well long before he dealt a future top six player for a deadline rental) but every time I think of him I think of how much the Canucks dealt away in the 2004 and 2006 deadlines in what were obviously lost seasons. Combined:

A (former) first round draft pick - for Rucinsky
A second round pick - for Keith Carney
A second round pick - for Mika Noronen
A third round pick - for Geoff Sanderson (that year Ron Francis went for a 4th)
A third round pick - for Eric Weinrich
A fourth round pick - for Sean Brown
A seventh round pick - for Marc Bergevin

More (in value IMO) than an entire draft worth of picks.. all on two teams facing extremely long odds against actually making any noise in the playoffs.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Man. I know Burke and Umberger did not see eye to eye on contracts (ie. he poisoned that well long before he dealt a future top six player for a deadline rental) but every time I think of him I think of how much the Canucks dealt away in the 2004 and 2006 deadlines in what were obviously lost seasons. Combined:

More (in value IMO) than an entire draft worth of picks.. all on two teams facing extremely long odds against actually making any noise in the playoffs.

Two thoughts:

1.) It's not even a question of where those teams were at as much as how terrible most of the acquisitions were. Heck, if a team is going to go for it, trade for someone useful that's going to stick with the team.

2.) Add all of that up and maybe you have enough to trade for a legitimate player (Brad Richards), either as picks or with the players you select with those picks. That's why the whole "I can't believe Nonis was fired for not making that trade" thing grinds so much. He threw away a ton of surplus value for almost nothing, then fell on his sword because he was being principled and didn't want to strip the cupboard bare. Watching Nonis in Toronto is a delight.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary

"The Canucks win the trade deadline again!" - Darren Dreger

:sarcasm:

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Been high on Dalpe for a while and have been happy with this trade since it was made. There is a solid skill set there with Dalpe and hopefully he keeps it up and earns more minutes and opportunity. He really just needed to learn the system and gain some confidence. He's done pretty good with the former and the latter seems to be improving as well.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Would have been interesting to see Burke try one of his bold moves and go all in for a first line type of player in 2004, that's for sure.

Tough to orchestrate and particularly at the deadline but I think anyone who saw what he did instead understood pretty clearly that it was just standard covering-your-ass types of moves so he could throw up his hands and say he did what he could when it all amounted to nothing.

2006 was just so profoundly a lost cause.

edit: Anyway, sorry, I am really off on a tangent now. Go Zac!

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007
He has certainly made a case for that last roster spot. I wonder what happens when Schroeder finally comes back.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Been high on Dalpe for a while and have been happy with this trade since it was made. There is a solid skill set there with Dalpe and hopefully he keeps it up and earns more minutes and opportunity. He really just needed to learn the system and gain some confidence. He's done pretty good with the former and the latter seems to be improving as well.

I like the steady increments he is making. There was speculation that he would be waived, but I didn't see it. There's something here. He finds a way to get shots in limited minutes, which is nice to see. Also, he harder to play against now. Welsh too has done some good in his time as well.

I didn't like the cost of a 4th round pick at the time because I felt Welsh would be a throw away prospect and Dalpe would be very hit or miss (leaning towards miss). Essentially, dealing a pick for nothing. But with the type of strides Dalpe alone is making, things are looking encouraging.

I'd like to see him on the PP. Even so far as being that left point shot on the top unit (4 forwards). His skillset would help there IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad