Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CAR] Canucks acquire 2015 3rd (66TH OA), 2016 7th for G Eddie Lack | Pt 2

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I'm not disagreeing Lack was tired and more rest would certainly be ideal. But given he wasn't it seems pretty clear that they did not trust Markstrom to be able to deliver points and they needed all the points they could get. And I'll be honest I don't disagree with them on this. I think they did what they had to do. To me it's hard to say someone was misused when there were no other options.

Then again I'm not very high on Markstrom. I hope he works out or this team is going to be scrambling in a years time, I just don't expect it.

Yeah I just don't think WD managed it well at all. Should've play Marky asap to take the pressure of finally starting a game out. Buffalo was the perfect game for that because end of a winning road trip.
I think the longer he made Marky wait the more pressure he got.
Just poorly managed.

Also could've made things easier for Marky for the games he started by dialing back Sbisa's ice time.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Ignore the 41 game sample size focus on the 4 game sample size.

Grasping at straws here. Lack had 2 bad games in the playoffs TWO and people write him off. Just ridiculous.

I see both lack and markstrom as 3-4 year stop gaps for Demko btw. I just prefer the known in Lack a lot better

I like to look at it as Markstrom Lack and Demko are all Lotto Tickets. We just traded the guy that had 3 numbers right so far. Markstrom missed on his first couple lines and now we hope he hits on the extra. Demko's draw won't be until next "week".

So we traded a winning ticket for another ticket that draws in a few "weeks"

"weeks" are years people

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The contract extension for Jones is interesting. Certainly makes it look like Wilson likes him an awful lot. $3M aav is a lot for a guy with his resume. Would've figured a "prove you can start" 1-year deal...but he was obviously ready to dive right in.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
The contract extension for Jones is interesting. Certainly makes it look like Wilson likes him an awful lot. $3M aav is a lot for a guy with his resume. Would've figured a "prove you can start" 1-year deal...but he was obviously ready to dive right in.

The Sharks have coveted Martin Jones for a while but had little chance of getting him from LA.

More evidence that the price you can get for trading a player is dependent on the interest from other GMs. As much as Lack was loved by fans in Vancouver the interest in him around the league was simply not as high as some of the other available goalies. Even the most ardent Benning haters should be able to admit the guy isn't so dumb that he wouldn't take the best trade offer if there had actually been some sort of competitive bidding from other teams like there was on Cam Talbot.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Ooo a new argument this one about playoffs. Unfortunately miller isn't much of a playoff goalie.

Miller was crap in St. Louis, but he has been known to play well when it matters most. 2010 Olympics is an example. Even in this year's playoffs, Miller was noticeably better than Lack once he took over the reigns in Game 4. I think Miller is a better mentor for a guy like Markstrom, but maybe that's just me. Markstrom is being groomed to be our 'next guy', and so who better to learn from than a guy that has been an elite goalie in this league?

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
but he has been known to play well when it matters most. 2010 Olympics is an example. Even in this year's playoffs, Miller was noticeably better than Lack once he took over the reigns in Game 4.

Did Lack blow a three goal lead in the post-season?

Miller let in a softy when it mattered the most in 2010.

He's an OLD average starting NHL goalie who's best days are behind being paid $6 million.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Did Lack blow a three goal lead in the post-season?

Miller let in a softy when it mattered the most in 2010.

He's an OLD average starting NHL goalie who's best days are behind being paid $6 million.

The Canucks in front played brutal in front of Miller in Game 6. An injured Miller looked very sharp in that first period. Even Don Cherry commented on that during the intermission.

Crosby's 'golden goal' on Miller wasn't a softy. It was a well-timed well placed shot by the game's best player at the time.

As far as his contract goes, I agree that Miller is pretty average at this stage in his career, but we only have him for two more seasons.........and I think he'll be a great mentor for Markstrom, given the fact that he was an elite goalie.

Miller's contract was immovable, unless you want to eat salary.

In my opinion, Lack is also an average goalie. However - if you kept Lack and committed to him, you'd be looking at a long term deal atleast 3-4 years (maybe more) at around a $4 million dollar cap hit. I just don't think Lack was ever going to take that 'next step' as a goalie and so I'm glad that we got rid of him. I like Markstrom's upside, and I think either him or Demko will eventually pan out.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
The Canucks in front played brutal in front of Miller in Game 6. An injured Miller looked very sharp in that first period. Even Don Cherry commented on that during the intermission.

Crosby's 'golden goal' on Miller wasn't a softy. It was a well-timed well placed shot by the game's best player at the time.

As far as his contract goes, I agree that Miller is pretty average at this stage in his career, but we only have him for two more seasons.........and I think he'll be a great mentor for Markstrom, given the fact that he was an elite goalie.

Miller's contract was immovable, unless you want to eat salary.

In my opinion, Lack is also an average goalie. However - if you kept Lack and committed to him, you'd be looking at a long term deal atleast 3-4 years (maybe more) at around a $4 million dollar cap hit. I just don't think Lack was ever going to take that 'next step' as a goalie and so I'm glad that we got rid of him. I like Markstrom's upside, and I think either him or Demko will eventually pan out.

It was absolutely a brutal goal.

"Only" two more seasons of paying $6M for a position that many teams are filling quite successfully for around $4M.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
Miller mentors the young goaltenders by giving them all the ****** starts so he can boosts his stats.

That's how mentor ship goes.

is this a professional hockey team or a support group? just crazy how much this management group values intangibles, as if the downfall of the gillis era was a lack of leadership and character

on the list of items preventing previous canucks from being more successful, i'd say that a lack of mentoring ranks right around lack of sleep doctor input and insufficient hyperbaric chamber usage in terms of issues

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
just crazy how much this management group values intangibles, as if the downfall of the gillis era was a lack of leadership and character

a 2-0 series lead blown against Boston. A 3-0 series lead nearly blown against Chicago. I would definitely argue that there was a leadership and character issue on this team.

Look at the Chicago Blackhawks. Yes - they are oozing with talent, but it's also that leadership and intangibles that has won them those 3 cups.

To me, it looks like Benning's biggest priority is in making sure that the next core (i.e. Horvat, Markstrom, etc.,) are surrounded by players that have been elite at one point (i.e. Sedins', Miller, and Hamhuis if he counts), and also players that are considered character vets (i.e. Hansen, Dorsett, Prust).

Look at teams like Detroit, New Jersey, and Colorado during their peaks, and Chicago now. It's not just coincidence that those teams "magically" had great prospects in their system despite consistently drafting near the bottom. Their prospects were surrounded by elite players and character guys, which allowed their prospects to flourish.

If a guy like Kassian has crappy work ethic, and constantly defies his coaches, what kind of reflection is that to up-and-coming players? Meanwhile - if a guy like Linden Vey isn't all that great, but shows a willingness and drive to improve himself and has a great work ethic off ice, should he not get chances to get to that next level?

I don't agree with everything Benning has done here, but I think he's getting way too much flack. Let's atleast see what transpires this coming season before we throw him under a bus.

As of right now - the only thing that the Benning administration has given us is

1) A significantly deeper prospect pool
2) A delivered promise that we would make the playoffs in 2015.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Markstrom has more potential than Lack and fits the timeline better for Demko to come in to become the next Schneider.

#itsallpartoftheplan

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Love it how "umm.. uhh.. well he's A MENTOR for the kidz" has become this new thing that people say when a terrible contract/trade happens.

Trying to justify it in their minds somehow :laugh:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Markstrom has more potential than Lack and fits the timeline better for Demko to come in to become the next Schneider.

#itsallpartoftheplan

I agree with this as well.

And let's be honest - As likeable as Eddie Lack is, he was not going to be an elite goalie. Unless you can field a team that is so utterly dominant, that elite goaltending is not necessarily required (i.e. the current Chicago era, the past Detroit era), then a team needs to have an elite goalie to be a cup contender.

Lack was never going to be that guy. If you somehow miraculously trade Miller and his contract in its entirety (which was never going to happen), you then have to sign Lack long term.

To me, Lack read more like a Dan Cloutier and Alex Auld, as opposed to a Luongo or Schneider. Great guy with a very solid regular season, but certain things and events were clear evidence that he wasn't worthy of being "the guy" (i.e. his deer-in-the-headlights demeanour during the 2013/2014 season when Luongo got traded, along with his performance in this year's playoffs.....which then forced WD to play an injured Ryan Miller ahead of Eddie Lack).

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
a 2-0 series lead blown against Boston. A 3-0 series lead nearly blown against Chicago. I would definitely argue that there was a leadership and character issue on this team.

How does anyone still buy into this stuff. It's 2015, not the 80's anymore.

BuzzBuzz

Apr 7, 2011
I agree with this as well.

And let's be honest - As likeable as Eddie Lack is, he was not going to be an elite goalie. Unless you can field a team that is so utterly dominant, that elite goaltending is not necessarily required (i.e. the current Chicago era, the past Detroit era), then a team needs to have an elite goalie to be a cup contender.

Lack was never going to be that guy. If you somehow miraculously trade Miller and his contract in its entirety (which was never going to happen), you then have to sign Lack long term.

To me, Lack read more like a Dan Cloutier and Alex Auld, as opposed to a Luongo or Schneider. Great guy with a very solid regular season, but certain things and events were clear evidence that he wasn't worthy of being "the guy" (i.e. his deer-in-the-headlights demeanour during the 2013/2014 season when Luongo got traded, along with his performance in this year's playoffs.....which then forced WD to play an injured Ryan Miller ahead of Eddie Lack).

This is all conjecture with no basis in reality.

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002

#itsallpartoftheplan

Why does Markstrom have more potential than Lack?

Because he was a early 2nd rounder and Lack was undrafted? Who cares.

Abaddon**

Yep, but people are still human, not just coagulated blobs of statistics and cap hits and fan fantasies.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Love it how "umm.. uhh.. well he's A MENTOR for the kidz" has become this new thing that people say when a terrible contract/trade happens.

Trying to justify it in their minds somehow :laugh:

Do you not believe that things like mentorship, leadership, etc. are important factors?

If someone like Virtanen or Gaunce is successful in making this team, you don't see a benefit in a guy like Prust taking said kid under his wing and showing him what it's like to be a pro (on-ice commitment, off ice work ethic), while sticking up for your teammates? Do you think Kassian would've done that for a guy like Virtanen or Gaunce?

As far as terrible contracts go, a guy like Prust is only signed for 1 year.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

You're right, it IS 2015..........a time period in which the Canucks were up 3-0 in Game 6 against the Calgary Flames, and ended up losing the game 7-4.

I'm actually shocked that people *don't* think that leadership and character issues need to be addressed on this team.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
This is all conjecture with no basis in reality.

True to an extent, but time will tell I guess.

If Eddie Lack develops into an elite goalie, as opposed to being the next Anti Niemi, I will admit fault.

p.s.________And given what other GM's were willing to give up for Lack, I think it's safe to say that all/most others agree that Lack will not develop into an elite goalie in this league.

BuzzBuzz

Apr 7, 2011
Do you not believe that things like mentorship, leadership, etc. are important factors?

If someone like Virtanen or Gaunce is successful in making this team, you don't see a benefit in a guy like Prust taking said kid under his wing and showing him what it's like to be a pro (on-ice commitment, off ice work ethic),

I much rather players like the Sedin show him that given that they are actually good players

while sticking up for your teammates?

Who was Chicago's tough guy?

Do you think Kassian would've done that for a guy like Virtanen or Gaunce?

Yes. He stood up for numerous Canucks players over his tenure here.

As far as terrible contracts go, a guy like Prust is only signed for 1 year.

His contract isn't bad. What is bad is that we gave up a younger better bigger hockey player and a 5th rounder to get him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad