Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CAR] Canucks acquire 2015 3rd (66TH OA), 2016 7th for G Eddie Lack | Pt 2

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Part 2. And it still hurts... :(

bruce%20banner_zpsp0czu1sh.jpg

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Disappointing return.

Not as upset as others here tho...

If Lack outplays Ward and becomes something better than average/mediocre... then i'll ramp it up.

At least it's settled now... Markstrom-Miller for the next 2 seasons.

Here's hoping Markstrom puts it together..
I think for the first time.. Markstrom has a roster spot locked... hopefully that helps settle him in nicely here...

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Disappointing return.

Not as upset as others here tho...

If Lack outplays Ward and becomes something better than average/mediocre... then i'll ramp it up.

At least it's settled now... Markstrom-Miller for the next 2 seasons.

Uhh, he already is better than average. He only got better with more consistent starts as well (as opposed to playing once every two to three weeks).

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Uhh, he already is better than average. He only got better with more consistent starts as well (as opposed to playing once every two to three weeks).

If thats the case, then he should earn the starter's spot over Ward next season and put up numbers...

we will see...

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Here's hoping Markstrom puts it together..
I think for the first time.. Markstrom has a roster spot locked... hopefully that helps settle him in nicely here...

Here's to hoping Markstrom gets more easy schedule (again percentage-wise in terms of playoff vs non-playoff teams) than Miller. Like what normally a backup goalie would get.

Have to build-up his confidence (I might be wrong but this seems to be the biggest issue holding him back).

It will mean a noticeably tougher schedule for Miller this upcoming season (if for no other reason, the Oilers actually at look like they're heading in the right direction; Flames got better). But tough ****; that's what he get's $6 million. I assume he should be able to handle it (I hope.....)

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
If thats the case, then he should earn the starter's spot over Ward next season and put up numbers...

we will see...

Assuming Bill Peters isn't the same as Desjardins, playing a worse goalie more because he's older, then I expect that to happen. Ward just isn't good anymore.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Carrying on from the last thread, I'll never understand how people believe Markstrom has more upside than Lack. To me it's like believing Sanguinetti has more upside than Edler. Both were great players at 18 and both are great AHLers now, but that's all they are, and it's not like they haven't been given multiple shots in the NHL.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Assuming Bill Peters isn't the same as Desjardins, playing a worse goalie more because he's older, then I expect that to happen. Ward just isn't good anymore.

IMHO, he was never THAT good. Got on a real hot streak just at the right time. Heck, I'd wager the Canes don't even get into the playoffs that Cup winning year if he was actually the starting goalie throughout that season.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
IMHO, he was never THAT good. Got on a real hot streak just at the right time. Heck, I'd wager the Canes don't even get into the playoffs that Cup winning year if he was actually the starting goalie throughout that season.

yeah, he dubnyk'd at exactly the right time

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck

Yeah, I agree. He had a few solid seasons and one good year. The last few seasons have been bad considering his salary.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006

we will see...

Only unfortunately for Lack, that's not how it usually works. We've seen Schneider outplay Brodeur and Lack outplay Miller and either were given the starters job. Ward is very likely their guy for this season, no matter how both goalies play.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Only unfortunately for Lack, that's not how it usually works. We've seen Schneider outplay Brodeur and Lack outplay Miller and either were given the starters job. Ward is very likely their guy for this season, no matter how both goalies play.

Except in wins.

If Lack can win more, he'll unseat Ward.. pretty simple...

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Here's to hoping Markstrom gets more easy schedule (again percentage-wise in terms of playoff vs non-playoff teams) than Miller. Like what normally a backup goalie would get.

Have to build-up his confidence (I might be wrong but this seems to be the biggest issue holding him back).

It will mean a noticeably tougher schedule for Miller this upcoming season (if for no other reason, the Oilers actually at look like they're heading in the right direction; Flames got better). But tough ****; that's what he get's $6 million. I assume he should be able to handle it (I hope.....)

I think there is some reason to believe it can work. Yes, Miller got "easier" starts but he really didn't play an easy schedule -especially early in the season. If they can do a better job keeping him fresh… maybe he can rebound a little.

Freakshow

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver Island
Carrying on from the last thread, I'll never understand how people believe Markstrom has more upside than Lack. To me it's like believing Sanguinetti has more upside than Edler. Both were great players at 18 and both are great AHLers now, but that's all they are, and it's not like they haven't been given multiple shots in the NHL.

Because Markstrom's two years younger and more athletic than Eddie. At the age of 24/25 Lack played 13 games in an injured season (hips) for Chicago in the AHL and put up a .899 sv% while playing 706 minutes 338 shots, at the age of 23/24 he played 46 games again for Chicago in the AHL putting up a .925 sv% 2703 minutes played 1283 shots.

At the age of 24/25 Markstrom put up a .934 sv% while playing 1880 minutes 836 shots. At the age of 23/24 Markstrom again played in the American league putting up a .918 sv% 1688 minutes 803 shots.

They're essentially the same goaltender with Markstrom being more athletic, even Lack admits to that, and you get more RFA seasons out of him. If he's brought along properly, instead of being thrown to the wolves like he was in Florida, he should gain confidence and be really good at the NHL level.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Lack will be statistically better then either of our goalies next season. Calling that right now.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I think there is some reason to believe it can work. Yes, Miller got "easier" starts but he really didn't play an easy schedule -especially early in the season. If they can do a better job keeping him fresh… maybe he can rebound a little.

Yeah I'm not sure why Willie didn't want ease in Miller better (though I suppose that was a rationale for give him those Oilers starts) last year early in the season. It was his first NHL season playing for a travel heavy west coast team.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Yeah I'm not sure why Willie didn't want ease in Miller better (though I suppose that was a rationale for give him those Oilers starts) last year early in the season. It was his first NHL season playing for a travel heavy west coast team.

IIRC they had a record setting road trip early in the season too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad