Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Canucks re-sign Virtanen [2 years/$1.25M AAV]

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
The only time I have ever liked Virtanen's game was the final 10 games of last season.

So I still have a little bit of hope left for this guy.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Short term bridge to let him continue to establish himself in the lineup. Showed glimpses of potential near the end of the season. Using his size and speed to create scoring chances, driving the net, being a pain to play against. Drawing opponents away from regular coverage to throw a hit back on him, or drawing them into the scrums because he hit them so hard they wanna get a face wash in.

I hope he can get some offensive opportunities this year, maybe some more PP time. Canucks don’t have enough big body presence on the PP and this would be a good chance to get looks on PP2 for him. 15/15 projection is a fair estimate for him I’d think

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
It's a fine deal. He's a weird player. He's not a bust since he has decent production, but obviously isn't worth where he was drafted and who he went ahead. Is a fair projection long term for him to be a 3rd line winger who can fill in middle six duty if needed? He's useful, but to what extent?

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Nice deal. He has had a pretty rough development curve, but really started to play well in the last 40 games last year. I'm expecting him to play a much bigger in the teams top 6 and PP this coming year, and think he can put up 20 goals/35 to 40- points. Give this kid a couple of years, I think he is going to prove a lot of people wrong.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
It's a fine deal. He's a weird player. He's not a bust since he has decent production, but obviously isn't worth where he was drafted and who he went ahead. Is a fair projection long term for him to be a 3rd line winger who can fill in middle six duty if needed? He's useful, but to what extent?

You're right I think he is a valuable piece, certainly more valuable than this site has let on, but he gets extra hate for where he was drafted.

IMO his ceiling is likely a Tom Wilson type role. Big guy you can use on special teams or throw on a line with two better players to make some space.

Reactions: Fixxer

Jannik Hansen

Apr 16, 2016

Yeah I’m expecting him to end up as a bottom six guy, but he could potentially be a 3rd forward/puck retrieval guy on a top six line. He doesn’t have great awareness but he does skate and shoot hard.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
He could have a Chris Kreider top end, which is quite dynamic and unique but always leaving critics wanting more.

If not a more physical Janick Hansen.

He is a fine player but wears the stigma of being picked too high. Still a valuable hard to develop piece so worth the gamble the Canucks took.

With how the composition of the team worked out, I think he will fit in nicely with the rest of the young guns.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Short term bridge to let him continue to establish himself in the lineup. Showed glimpses of potential near the end of the season. Using his size and speed to create scoring chances, driving the net, being a pain to play against. Drawing opponents away from regular coverage to throw a hit back on him, or drawing them into the scrums because he hit them so hard they wanna get a face wash in.

I hope he can get some offensive opportunities this year, maybe some more PP time. Canucks don’t have enough big body presence on the PP and this would be a good chance to get looks on PP2 for him. 15/15 projection is a fair estimate for him I’d think
There was really no other option. He has no arbitration rights and hasn’t established himself as part of the future core.

About what I expected in a 2 year bridge. Around $1 or $1.1 in a 1 year. So, $1.25 for 2 is about what I would think.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Was hoping for a 4-year deal at a low cap hit, but this is ok. I enjoy watching him be Connor McDavid's kryptonite once every two years: 1) the big hit during the prospects game, and 2) having outskated McDavid when McDavid was on the tailend of a double-shift. :D

Jokes aside, if he ever takes pro hockey seriously, he could become the power forward that the Canucks need. Otherwise he'll be a good 3rd-liner

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Benning finally makes a deal where he doesn't overpay. Hopefully Jake can break 30 this year.

Last edited:

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
Weird player... hope he figures it out but he always comes off as being a bit odd.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Tommy Wilson 2.0

Reactions: Fixxer

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
what would you have given him?
Forget it. There’s a lot of hate on the Canucks board, which is understandable given the bad contracts thencanucks have handed out to their ufa signings. One thing to over pay due to ufa status, but they are handing out money to average players for a lot more term as well.

They will bash everything as overpayment.l right now.

Plenty thought Bo at $5.5 was high.

They think stecher at $2.35 is crazy cause they think an arbitrator would have given him only $1.7. Like any organization would just dish out contracts 30% higher than they need to be. Ignore facts like no other team can hand him a contract since he filed for arbitration.

Could the Canucks have squeezed Jake harder? Yes. Cause Jake had no arbitration rights. Unless he got an offer sheet he would have to settle for what Vancouver offered him. but no reason to create bad blood over $100-200k for a player you still hope can develop into something useful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad