Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Canucks re-sign Virtanen [2 years/$1.25M AAV]

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
if Vancouver does decide to move Virtanen... I must say that contract would be a-ok on my team. and id love a chance to see what Virtanen could become on my team.

if I was running my team we would be making an offer to Vancouver and honestly it might be higher than some here would suspect. I really like the idea of taking a flyer on this kid and his new contract

Reactions: Fixxer

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
yeah we know he sucks, that's old news, you shouldn't be bashing on the fanbase for this, everyone knew that he sucked then and everyone knows he sucks now, the sentiment here was anyone but Virtanen, we're stuck with him but at least this deal is reasonable

go away if you're just going to troll Canuck fans who already agree with you that Nylander and Ehlers are better and that even at the time Virtanen was an awful pick
just being passive aggressive because were gonna lose trouba :(

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Virtanen has always been the guy with all the tools and not much of the tool-box. The guy has top-end NHL speed, a top end NHL shot and is built tough. Problem is he's dopey and doesn't think ahead. Has a few years to develop into a thinking player but I don't really see it in him.

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
Stylistically he’s Chris Krieder (light), and I do think that this is the year he has to show the world what he’ll be at the nhl level.

I know he’s training all off season with Pavel Barber (stick handling guru) on his hands, and his edge work. That would suggest HE is planning on pushing into more of an offensive role

He’s already decent defensively. He’s got to work on handling the puck at top speeds and lateral movement. If he can do that effectively, there’s still hope for him to develop into a fast & physical top 6 forward with 50 point potential.

Reactions: Fixxer

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
if Vancouver does decide to move Virtanen... I must say that contract would be a-ok on my team. and id love a chance to see what Virtanen could become on my team.

if I was running my team we would be making an offer to Vancouver and honestly it might be higher than some here would suspect. I really like the idea of taking a flyer on this kid and his new contract

I’d be sad to see him traded for anything other than a serious overpayment (based upon what he’s shown so far).

At this point his upside looks like a Grabner, who hits and plays defense well. I like that and would hate to see it realized on another team.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Will never produce solid numbers in the regular season. Great speed, size & shot. No creativity and awareness. Would be an asset come playoff time with a tenacious & fast forecheck IMHO.

Last edited:

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Virtanen has always been the guy with all the tools and not much of the tool-box. The guy has top-end NHL speed, a top end NHL shot and is built tough. Problem is he's dopey and doesn't think ahead. Has a few years to develop into a thinking player but I don't really see it in him.
Part of the problem is he’s always had this talent, which led to him being a quality junior player until he was asked to start playing actual competitive hockey. Let him go out there and basically f*** around he’s probably one of the best shinny players ever. His lack of fundamentals when it comes to positioning and play reading really showed his first 3 professional seasons. I feel now that he’s been given a specific role and what to do in it, he’s been able to translate some of those skills to useful in his role.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Part of the problem is he’s always had this talent, which led to him being a quality junior player until he was asked to start playing actual competitive hockey. Let him go out there and basically **** around he’s probably one of the best shinny players ever. His lack of fundamentals when it comes to positioning and play reading really showed his first 3 professional seasons. I feel now that he’s been given a specific role and what to do in it, he’s been able to translate some of those skills to useful in his role.

Could be utilized in a middle six wing role, for sure.

mpir3

Apr 7, 2010
I mean he did just win top scorer at NARCH finals last month...maybe he'll find his touch in the NHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad