Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] Canucks re-sign Virtanen [2 years/$1.25M AAV]

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
My comparison was more of a talent and draft position than a stylistic one although I don't see what makes them much different....

Jake is a player who is about speed and skill (admittedly he needs to find the skill to finish), Tom Wilson is about physical intimidation and being hard to play against.

They are much different players, only thing they really have in common is they are both big and were both drafted too high.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
1mil.

He got 1.25 lol. not 1.
On a 1 year deal I could have seen around that to $1.1. For 2 years around $1.15 to $1.25 is about right.

If Jake goes 1 year he then has arbitration rights next year. Probably what pushes The 2 years to $1.25 per.

Sam Bennett signed for $1.95 per.

I had figured that the Canucks would sign stecher and virtanen for around $3.5-$3.6 combined.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Jake is a player who is about speed and skill (admittedly he needs to find the skill to finish), Tom Wilson is about physical intimidation and being hard to play against.

They are much different players, only thing they really have in common is they are both big and were both drafted too high.
You’d be surprised how similar their games actually are. Wilson being the heavier hitter of the two, but V being the smoother skater. I feel both bring elements to the ice that are shared, big body guys who like to forecheck, both really only have the drive the net play. Wilson is a more willing fighter, but V hasn’t backed down against many. Both are adequate defensive players

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Isn't Virtanen done? I think he gets 20 games to show his worth then he's gone for a minor leaguer somewhere else.

The kid is just weird.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Isn't Virtanen done? I think he gets 20 games to show his worth then he's gone for a minor leaguer somewhere else.

The kid is just weird.

I’v never been a proponent of Virtanen since the draft, but he’s already proven he’s good enough to be a full time NHL bottom 6 player.

Just not one worthy of being taken 6th overall.

Reactions: Fixxer

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
Overpayment is real. Benning at it again!

Congrats on adding the dumbest comment in the thread I guess

Big year for Virtanen. . It would be a bonus to the nucks fwd core if he could take that step and solidify himself as an nhler. I’d be happy at this point w a 3rd line banging winger that pops in 15 goals each year and makes opposing players look over their shoulder when he’s on the ice.

Last edited:

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
My comparison was more of a talent and draft position than a stylistic one although I don't see what makes them much different....

Cuz Tom Wilson cant do this. If Jake Virtanen had a brain he would score 40. Hes got world class talent but he cant put it together for some reason.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Congrats on adding the dumbest comment in the thread I guess

Big year for Virtanen. . It would be a bonus to the nucks fwd core if he could take that step and solidify himself as an nhler. I’d be happy at this point w a 3rd line banging winger that pops in 15 goals each year and makes opposing players look over their shoulder when he’s on the ice.
I’m hoping he puts up the type of year another first rounder named Jake. Debrusk from Boston. 17 and 26 for 43 pts I think. Doubt the assists are that high given lack of finishers on the roster. That’s a fair expectation I think for him.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

member 105785

no offense but if a team is playing Virtanen on their second line, that's gotta be a really weak forward crop there.

team shouldn't be planning to contend this year, don't care who they play where, wake me up when the team is committed to a rebuild

member 105785

but they clda picked ehlers ? ? ?

pretty shrewd of the nucks to take this guy over Nylander and save 5+mil on the cap! :)

yeah we know he sucks, that's old news, you shouldn't be bashing on the fanbase for this, everyone knew that he sucked then and everyone knows he sucks now, the sentiment here was anyone but Virtanen, we're stuck with him but at least this deal is reasonable

go away if you're just going to troll Canuck fans who already agree with you that Nylander and Ehlers are better and that even at the time Virtanen was an awful pick

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
What’s with the ‘he sucks’?

He’s our most physical forward by far. Ignoring his draft position, he is a good player with upside still, and I look forward to what he’ll do this upcoming season.

Finally a good contract jimbo

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Turns 22 next month.

Will never live up to his draft position. Overpayment. He's done. Waiver wire fodder. Benning ... bwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!

Am I doing it right?

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Leafs fans never come into threads about things that have nothing to do with the leafs and make it about the leafs.
So leafs fans say.
Well, "not all/only some/hardly any Leafs fans", goes the refrain.

Some of us do notice patterns, however.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad