Confirmed with Link: [VAN/AZ] 9th OA, 2022 2nd, 2023 7th, Roussel, Beagle, and Eriksson for OEL (12% ret) and Garland

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Garland is playing great, as is OEL, because they are being used correctly. Garland is not a first line forward. He is a second line forward and in that role goes against defense that is a notch down. OEL is not the top defenseman on Vancouver. He can be protected against the best forwards of the league.
OEL's 24 TOI/gm is second to Hughes at 25 TOI/gm. That is first pairing minutes on any team. Garland is 5th in TOI/gm, but leading the Canucks in scoring. That is also a first line player anyway you look at it. A player doesn't have to be playing on the first line or top pairing to be considered a top d or a top three forward. I myself still think OEL is a top pairing and Garland a top six, but he is getting better and better as we saw the last tow years. But you are right when you said they are getting used correctly, which was something RT did not do,, not only with these two but many others

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
OEL's 24 TOI/gm is second to Hughes at 25 TOI/gm. That is first pairing minutes on any team. Garland is 5th in TOI/gm, but leading the Canucks in scoring. That is also a first line player anyway you look at it. A player doesn't have to be playing on the first line or top pairing to be considered a top d or a top three forward. I myself still think OEL is a top pairing and Garland a top six, but he is getting better and better as we saw the last tow years. But you are right when you said they are getting used correctly, which was something RT did not do,, not only with these two but many others

Garland is not a first line player. he’d be suppressed facing the top D. his 5th in TOI/gm is reflecting of this. Anyway you look at it.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I love Garland. But the trade is fine. It makes sense. If Shane Wright and Dylan Guenther are on our team next season, it’ll be a little easier to stop pining away for Garland.
What makes it even harder is that Garland wanted to stay. He did not want to go anywhere. I don’t think the deal is made without Garland, though.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Some impressive and unmatched posters on here wont be happy with WAR being made a joke.

OEL's bounceback in Vancouver only reinforces how badly he was dogging it here. His market value at the time of the trade - absolutely nothing - reflected his poor play in recent years. It seems like you just fundamentally misunderstand or refuse to acknowledge the conditions which lead to OEL being traded.

I'm thrilled for Garland (his competitiveness is sorely missed) and happy for OEL, who finally got his fresh start.

Reactions: KG

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
OEL's bounceback in Vancouver only reinforces how badly he was dogging it here. His market value at the time of the trade - absolutely nothing - reflected his poor play in recent years. It seems like you just fundamentally misunderstand or refuse to acknowledge the conditions which lead to OEL being traded.

I'm thrilled for Garland (his competitiveness is sorely missed) and happy for OEL, who finally got his fresh start.
Target hit.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
What makes it even harder is that Garland wanted to stay. He did not want to go anywhere. I don’t think the deal is made without Garland, though.
Agree. Love Garland. It’s a really sad trade. But our time is not now. It’s five years from now. So there was cold, logical sense in this trade. I’m at piece with it. But Garland is still my favorite player.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Garland is not a first line player. he’d be suppressed facing the top D. his 5th in TOI/gm is reflecting of this. Anyway you look at it.
I said top six, which he surely is, and if he keeps on maturing he could very easily be a top three. He was facing other teams top D the last two year in Arizona. He was attracting a lot of attention. That is a fact, anyway you look at it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I don't think OEL was dogging it as much as it was RT's coaching.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I don't think OEL was dogging it as much as it was RT's coaching.

I don't think he was dogging it either. I think he was just depressed and/or unhappy here and it affected his play. Burnt out maybe?

I also think he was afraid of change and tried to cope for too long, hoping it'd get better (resisting trade.) RT certainly added to whatever it was.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Agree. Love Garland. It’s a really sad trade. But our time is not now. It’s five years from now. So there was cold, logical sense in this trade. I’m at piece with it. But Garland is still my favorite player.
If I have to wait 5 years for some damn hockey worth watching I'm gonna shoot all of you.

Reactions: Kaizen

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
If I have to wait 5 years for some damn hockey worth watching I'm gonna shoot all of you.
monty.png

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I don't think he was dogging it either. I think he was just depressed and/or unhappy here and it affected his play. Burnt out maybe?

His precipitous dropoff coincided with Doan getting dumped. Correlation doesn't necessarily equal causation but he was indirectly asked to take ownership of the team after Doan was gone, and I don't think he handled it very well. He doesn't have that pressure in Vancouver, and look at him now.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
I haven't check yet but most Canucks fans on here have to be loving (or at least pretty satisfied) this deal now, right? Dump 3 junk tier players, add two exciting players, and the only cost was 2 draft picks (well 3 if you count the almost valueless 7th). Turned their team into one of the most interesting ones to watch now.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I haven't check yet but most Canucks fans on here have to be loving (or at least pretty satisfied) this deal now, right? Dump 3 junk tier players, add two exciting players, and the only cost was 2 draft picks (well 3 if you count the almost valueless 7th). Turned their team into one of the most interesting ones to watch now.
And 5 games in claim victory on the deal lol.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

They're fully built out and need to go for it while guys like Pod and Hoglander are cheap.

The Coyotes are on a different timeline. And it's not necessary to 'win' this trade. The additional flexibility has already resulted in picks beyond the original deal.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
It may be victory for both.
It may. I just think 5 games is a little early. I think AZ lost the trade but a month ago Vancouver media was having a meltdown on a bag skate. We win if we draft a superstar in either of next two drafts. The asset we acquired wasn’t just the picks it was the drop in standings for our pick. Moving from a 10th OV pick to at worst a 3rd this year is what we really wanted. That and the 10M we saved that allowed us to take on contracts like Ladd and Goatibehere and gather more free picks. We lost the trade hands down though when you just focus on the picks we actually received in the deal.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002

I dont agree that he was dogging it at all. He was a very good player placed into an impossible situation. I like how you are changing from "he's done, he has no value at all, worst player in the league, we'll have to pay someone to take him" to "what, he's actually good? oh he must have been dogging it". I know you're probably the poster on here most obsessed by stats but you still place a higher value on them than actually watching the players which is a mistake. I also started out as an OEL critic as well and that's why I started watching him closely in every game. Then you could see he's still an excellent player with value and the trade reflected that in the high picks we got. Should probably have gotten more but BA was in an awkward position himself.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It may. I just think 5 games is a little early. I think AZ lost the trade but a month ago Vancouver media was having a meltdown on a bag skate. We win if we draft a superstar in either of next two drafts. The asset we acquired wasn’t just the picks it was the drop in standings for our pick. Moving from a 10th OV pick to at worst a 3rd this year is what we really wanted. That and the 10M we saved that allowed us to take on contracts like Ladd and Goatibehere and gather more free picks. We lost the trade hands down though when you just focus on the picks we actually received in the deal.
With our goal tending you could have McDavid on this team and we still would drop in the standings. As far as predicting where we end up drafting if we traded Garland and OEL vs not trading them is plain pie in the sky thinking.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Ladd and Erikson is 8 mill just for those two useless players. You add in Beagle and Roussel it gets even worse. RT made it so OEL wanted out. Also, will this hurt Chychrun and Keller mindset this year or next? All these two know is losing with the Coyotes, and they might want a change as well.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I dont agree that he was dogging it at all. He was a very good player placed into an impossible situation. I like how you are changing from "he's done, he has no value at all, worst player in the league, we'll have to pay someone to take him" to "what, he's actually good? oh he must have been dogging it". I know you're probably the poster on here most obsessed by stats but you still place a higher value on them than actually watching the players which is a mistake. I also started out as an OEL critic as well and that's why I started watching him closely in every game. Then you could see he's still an excellent player with value and the trade reflected that in the high picks we got. Should probably have gotten more but BA was in an awkward position himself.

OEL was our best defensive D, and still a top pairing D last year and he was stuck with a 5/6D as his partner. Chych had the better partner in goose. I am sure the years of losing took its toll mentally too. OEL has a way better partner now on a much better team, clearly looks like a 1D again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad