Post-Game Talk: Value of: Ryan Wilson to Toronto

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
That was an awful game all around.

Honestly, I have no idea where some people are getting this from. Rycroft, MacK, PAP, Roy all agreed we played well but dug a hole for ourselves early on with a few mistakes that they capitalized on.

The only dangerous player the Leafs had all night as Kessel, Giggy only had a few scoring chances against him. The goalie interference one should have been wiped out leaving it 3-2 which might have changed the momentum in the game, who knows. On top of that, we clearly had the better scoring chances, offensive zone time and puck possession. The Avs actually played a very good game offensively.

Defensively we looked lost puppies, scrambling all over. But that's what happens when your good defender is injured/ill, your defensive guy is slower than molasses against a speedy forward (Hejda only struggles against quick teams) and your best defender on the night is your youngest PMD who also made a mistake defensively towards a goal.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I honestly thought we didn't play too awful. We had tons of scoring chances, and on a normal night we probably cash in 4 goals. Their goalie was hot and we missed a couple open nets, that happens. We've just got to play hard again on Friday, and hopefully get a better result.

Hopefully Tanguay will be back and we can roll our forward lines at full strength for the first time in forever. Defense needs to man up and get back to playing smarter hockey team hockey.

I think Giggy needs the next start, Varly looked like he needed a break, he has been carrying us for like a month straight he deserves a little break. Plus Giggy looked like he was back in early season form last night, which was nice to see.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over last nights game, just one of those where you couldn't get the breaks necessary to win a game. Time to move on.

I pretty much agree. It just wasn't the Avs night, and the loss didn't hurt us in the standings. When these final 12 games before the Olympic break started I said that the Avs should get between 15-18 points. Right now they are 2-1 on that stretch. The toughest games coming up are the Lightning, Wild, and the Stars. All of the games are easily winnable, and the Avs should win 6 out of the remaining 9 before the break.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Honestly, I have no idea where some people are getting this from. Rycroft, MacK, PAP, Roy all agreed we played well but dug a hole for ourselves early on with a few mistakes that they capitalized on.

The only dangerous player the Leafs had all night as Kessel, Giggy only had a few scoring chances against him. The goalie interference one should have been wiped out leaving it 3-2 which might have changed the momentum in the game, who knows. On top of that, we clearly had the better scoring chances, offensive zone time and puck possession. The Avs actually played a very good game offensively.

Defensively we looked lost puppies, scrambling all over. But that's what happens when your good defender is injured/ill, your defensive guy is slower than molasses against a speedy forward (Hejda only struggles against quick teams) and your best defender on the night is your youngest PMD who also made a mistake defensively towards a goal.

I agree with all of this. I never checked HF last night but I just watched the game with my buddy who is a leafs fan. Even he said the Avs were absolutely dominating all game but the leafs took advantage of a few lucky bounces. I thought the Avs played great other than EJ. He played really bad. Varly was unlucky. Everybody else who played bad for us are guys who always play bad (Holden, Benoit, Bordy, Mcleod, Mitchell) so I'm not going to complain about them.

It was very surprising to come on here this morning and see people complaining about our play last night.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Just one of those games really. Storm back against Florida to get the confidence up and then get into a tough one with Tampa. I'm thinking with Jiggy's relief play he'll get the Florida game.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think Roy said in his presser that he's sticking with the plan of giving Jiggy Tampa. He said something like "I'm glad I already told you guys this before so you don't think there is a controversey".

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I think Roy said in his presser that he's sticking with the plan of giving Jiggy Tampa. He said something like "I'm glad I already told you guys this before so you don't think there is a controversey".

My bad then. Didn't know how far Roy had the start's planned. Tough game for Varly but he's mentally strong and will come out great against the Panthers. Just a bit worried for the rest of the team.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
My takes from the game:

- Roy got a little Holden crazy after the last few games and played him in too many important situations and against too talented/speedy guys early. I'll be happy when Holden is off of the PK. He does fine on the PP (except the one pass he flubbed from Duchene and the puck left the O zone).

- Wilson isn't getting back to form like he usually does after injury. I am usually a Wilson supporter when he is healthy but he has just looked terrible without improvement.

- Varly had a rare off game. It happens. I am not too worried about it going forward but the dude needs some rest. I will attribute the off game to being overplayed over the last month and ten days.

- EJ looked slow to start the game. He picked it up in the middle of the game. (Then again, a lot of the team started slow).

- I would have liked Roy to wait another minute before pulling Giggy. We had good momentum before that.

- Toronto just looked like they were feeling good and confident about themselves and we weren't ready for the game that they brought.

Some positives though:

+ Mac and PAP had some great chemistry when put together. I forgot how good they were together. They need to stay together (probably with Talbot).
+ PAP played much hungrier and in better condition than I have seen from him all year. Hopefully he keeps this play up.
+ Dutchy is controlling a good amount of the play when he is out there. I think his scoring drought has him trying to make the perfect shot a little too much but when the gates open he will light it up.
+ Giggy looked a lot better than he did his last several games. Hopefully whatever was ailing him (back, confidence, etc.) has passed.
+ We looked great in the third period outside of a couple times that we got hemmed in our zone.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Holden played two shifts in the third so I think Roy figured it out. Is it wrong of me to say I'm looking forward to Guenin coming back? Even just for the PKing.

I know nobody has had a hat trick in years since Duchene but feels like someone is going to get one. I don't remember so many two goal games. This year I know Duchene 2x, Stastny 2x, O'Reilly, Barrie, Holden and MacKinnon 3x.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Holden played two shifts in the third so I think Roy figured it out. Is it wrong of me to say I'm looking forward to Guenin coming back? Even just for the PKing.

I know nobody has had a hat trick in years since Duchene but feels like someone is going to get one. I don't remember so many two goal games. This year I know Duchene 2x, Stastny 2x, O'Reilly, Barrie, Holden and MacKinnon 3x.

I thought for sure MacK was going to get one last night. He was all over the place.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Watching the highlights, on the Gardiner goal Barrie just lets the guy go in the corner and take the puck. He did the same thing last game. That is the stuff that coaches will not put up with. I didn't see any of the game. Mac is sick.

Barrie will have his flaws, but to me he was the best defender last night easily. I know it's one game, but he clearly had a better game than everyone by a pretty easy margin from the defensive core, then in that 3rd he was probably one of the most dangerous players offensively. His ability to skate the puck in and set up players was top notch, Torona did a good job taking away the cross ice pass which was the only thing Avs tried to do. Avs were the better team throughout the game, but they kept looking for the perfect set up play to score which doesn't work.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Did anybody else think Mcginn was awesome last night? He always brings a hard forecheck and speed, but his poise and control with the puck last night along with some great passes was very impressive.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
Did anybody else think Mcginn was awesome last night? He always brings a hard forecheck and speed, but his poise and control with the puck last night along with some great passes was very impressive.

I did. I probably could have included that in my positives from my take on the game. I had to double take and see who was controlling the puck a couple of times with his individual puck handling ability on display behind their net.

This, with his usual effort on the forecheck, is why I would like for him to stay on Dutchy's line and Talbot on Mac's wing.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Barrie will have his flaws, but to me he was the best defender last night easily. I know it's one game, but he clearly had a better game than everyone by a pretty easy margin from the defensive core, then in that 3rd he was probably one of the most dangerous players offensively. His ability to skate the puck in and set up players was top notch, Torona did a good job taking away the cross ice pass which was the only thing Avs tried to do. Avs were the better team throughout the game, but they kept looking for the perfect set up play to score which doesn't work.

Agreed, and the fact that Barrie was 2nd only to EJ in ice time means Roy agrees as well.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I see the games on the weekend are earlier than usual. That's nice, don't gotta wait until 4 am for the games to start.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Wasn't the worst game we've played, just some bad bounces, Varly was off, Reimer played very well, I don't like losses but I can deal with them as long as there aren't big losing streaks.

One thing that I've noticed the last couple of weeks is how much the refs are allowing other teams to clutch and grab Duchene...starting to remind me of the DPE again.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

Two on ones, breakaways and goal posts since Giggy came in. That's not a couple scoring chances. Leafs could have had 6+ goals with the chances they had last night, but Giggy shut the door.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
One thing that I've noticed the last couple of weeks is how much the refs are allowing other teams to clutch and grab Duchene...starting to remind me of the DPE again.

Dutchy doesn't dive. I wonder if, like Forsberg, he'll eventually get so frustrated that he'll finally do so.

I wasn't too upset with the refs last night though. They called Phaneuf for slashing Duchene and frankly I didn't think it was all that blatant.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Agreed, and the fact that Barrie was 2nd only to EJ in ice time means Roy agrees as well.

Barrie plays best when the reigns are taken off him. For the last part of the game he played a lot with Hejda, which allowed him to roam around and attack offensively. It would be nice to get solid defensemen in the mold of Hejda that can play the left side so Barrie can have that type of partner again.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yea it wasnt that bad of a game. We played decent, the Puck bounces just didnt go our way.

Every team has those kind of games, but it does suck to have it happen to the Leafs after the "fun" our to fan bases have had with each other this season.

Oh well, at least the rest of the West lost for the most part. If there was a game to lose, last nights was the one.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Barrie plays best when the reigns are taken off him. For the last part of the game he played a lot with Hejda, which allowed him to roam around and attack offensively. It would be nice to get solid defensemen in the mold of Hejda that can play the left side so Barrie can have that type of partner again.

Agreed. A steady #3 would do so much for the Avs, and not just in terms of freeing up Barrie.

That said, I hope the Avs are careful in acquiring one if that's what they want to do. We're long removed from Lacroix's big, brash deals.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Was thinking, have there been any games where we've dug out of a 0-3 hole? I can only think of a couple down two goals holes. I still contend offensive inconsistency is what's losing games more than mediocre defense. There are other teams that come back constantly where being down 2-3 goals is nothing but for us where the game gets away from us is getting in that hole and then the offense just dies.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

I was referring primarily to my fan side of watching the game.

The play was not bad except for some major lapses that TO took advantage of. Can't make excuses for anyone, as they were just poor plays that cost the Avs.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States

Honestly, within our group, if Guenin worked (hard) on his skating ability he could be that guy. Before his injury, I was thinking he was playing like a less skilled mix of Foote and Hejda. Looking at next year, it would be amazing if he took this summer seriously and worked like hell to make sure he stuck in our top 6.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
This was only my 3rd time being around the team this year and first time for an extended period of time. Really good atmosphere. Very different from the O'Brien/Lefebvre yelling matches of the past or guys more interested in texting on their phones than talking with teammates. Everybody gets along, you can see the friendships forming. MacK was the biggest one for me. First two times I met him, he was quiet and did his own thing. Now he's with Ginner, O'Ry, Willy, etc. all the time. His lisp is kind of funny. :D

Oh, and it doesn't matter how many times I meet him... I still get goosebumps and act like a timid little child around Patrick Roy; my idol. Anybody else, fine, no problem. Roy? I get the lump in my throat and just stare in awe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad