Post-Game Talk: Value of: Ryan Wilson to Toronto

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Even though we lost, things are looking up...

- EJ has been playing injured
- Tanguay will return
- Guenin > Holden/Wilson (close to returning)
- Sarich > Holden/Wilson (shouldn't be that bad of an injury)
- Varlamov had his first bad game in 2-3 months.

Last edited:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'm not that worried about the forwards or goalies. They'll play well enough and a return to three scoring lines would be awesome. Hopefully they'll remain healthy for a while.

I am worried about the defense. The cracks are becoming more visible, but with flu, backproblems and Sarich/Guenin being injured perhaps it's just a temporary dip and they'll be back to being decent shortly.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I'm not that worried about the forwards or goalies. They'll play well enough and a return to three scoring lines would be awesome. Hopefully they'll remain healthy for a while.

I am worried about the defense. The cracks are becoming more visible, but with flu, backproblems and Sarich/Guenin being injured perhaps it's just a temporary dip and they'll be back to being decent shortly.

Yeah, the defense is scary. It's a shame we can't give Siemens or Elliott a cup of tea with the Avs due to injuries, they'll need time to get back up to speed in the AHL and by then the season will be over.

I could actually see Roy playing Bigras come the playoffs if Wilson keeps looking this bad, Sarich is injured and Holden/Guenin can't hack it. Hell, even Benoit looks over his head.

Most of us knew that would happen though.

Hejda - EJ
XXXX - Barrie
XXXX - Guenin
Holden - Elliott

That's our defense for next season currently. Benoit likely comes back in the 3rd pairing role, it would be great if we could find a top 4 quality veteran defensive defender to help out Barrie and allow him to develop into a top 4 defender like we've seen in glimpses.

Waive Wilson if we need to. Guy is washed up.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Yeah, the defense is scary. It's a shame we can't give Siemens or Elliott a cup of tea with the Avs due to injuries, they'll need time to get back up to speed in the AHL and by then the season will be over.

I could actually see Roy playing Bigras come the playoffs if Wilson keeps looking this bad, Sarich is injured and Holden/Guenin can't hack it. Hell, even Benoit looks over his head.

Most of us knew that would happen though.

Hejda - EJ
XXXX - Barrie
XXXX - Guenin
Holden - Elliott

That's our defense for next season currently. Benoit likely comes back in the 3rd pairing role, it would be great if we could find a top 4 quality veteran defensive defender to help out Barrie and allow him to develop into a top 4 defender like we've seen in glimpses.

Waive Wilson if we need to. Guy is washed up.

I still want to know what was offered for Kulikov, and which side pulled out of that deal. Our defense wouldn't be half bad with a Top-4 defender like Kulikov.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If it was Wilson like Doug MacLean was speculating, the Panthers won't be coming back to the table on that one. :laugh:

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Just finished watching the game on DVR.

First half of the game, leafs got ALL the bounces. Kessel had it bounce on his stick point blank twice and that was the difference in the game.

Some pretty brutal calls/non-calls during the game. How was that hooking on Stastny when worse was being done to Duchene as he kept splitting the Leafs defense and getting held up?? :shakehead

It's too bad Roy didn't put Nate at center to START the game because the complexity of the game completely shifted once he was put at center on the 3rd line with Parenteau. I've been saying this, since the start of the season: a strong 3 line attack is extremely hard for other teams to defend. We've got the forwards to do it, especially that PA is back and now Tanguay is coming back on Friday.

Hopefully we've seen in the end of Johnny Malkin in the top 9.

Holden was god-awful tonight...probably playing too much right now.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Watching the highlights, on the Gardiner goal Barrie just lets the guy go in the corner and take the puck. He did the same thing last game. That is the stuff that coaches will not put up with. I didn't see any of the game. Mac is sick.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Watching the highlights, on the Gardiner goal Barrie just lets the guy go in the corner and take the puck. He did the same thing last game. That is the stuff that coaches will not put up with. I didn't see any of the game. Mac is sick.

Yep, he did that same play a couple of years ago against Vancouver in OT and we lost the game. It's something that he'll need to get out of his game to get to the next level. Having said that, I've been pleasantly surprised with Barrie's play the last 10-15 games. He's been way, WAY better than he was earlier in the season.

Even in this game, I thought he was our best d-man...EJ has the flu and he and Hejda had an off night for sure.

Holden is completely to blame for Kessel's 2nd goal. A journeyman AHLer cannot be making (and fanning on) fancy passes inside his own zone. Get it off the wall and out of the zone asap.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I feel like the comment "Hejda had an off night tonight..." has been made quite a bit over the last month or so....just thought I'd point that out. I've even noticed a bit more in the last several games (not necessarily consecutively) that he hasn't been "right"...really since he's come back from his own injury his play has been a bit inconsistent.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs outshot Leafs 18-6 in even strength when Barrie was on the ice. EJ got outshot 7-13. The third goal was a non-situation if MacKinnon isn't out of position and has to scramble up to the point.

I think the other five defenders had bigger mistakes in our zone than any Barrie had today (EJ brutal giveaway, Hejda lost Kessel twice for clean chances on our goalie, Holden brutal giveaway on a goal, Benoit slow all game long and wasn't good with the puck and Wilson was a wreck).

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Trade deadline won't be here fast enough. Please upgrade our defense Roy&Sakic! Trade Wilson while he's still NHLer.

Mac with another 2 goal game. He will be hell of a player.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
That was an awful game all around.

Thankfully it was to an Eastern Conference team and is basically irrelevant with the results around the league.

I can't make any excuses for anyone last night, just a brutal game. Bad bounces, bad calls, bad plays at key times= Bad Showing.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
The thread got ugly enough with flaming, trolling, and bickering last night. Numerous posts were reported and deleted.

We will not have a replay of that activity today.

Leafs fans, your team played a good game and won. Congrats. Now, please keep the celebrations on your own board. It is in bad taste to come to our board and gloat.

Thank You.

calvin0416*

I was hoping MacKinnon would get about 5 to 8 points in the game, but oh well, I'll gladly accept his 2 goals! 17 goals 16 assists 33 points so far! Keep it going Sid....I MEAN KID. hehe. He's just looking better and better as the season goes along....I'm glad he's a shooting machine....140+ shots on net, only duchene has shot more times and only by a few shots. I love his aggressive nose for the net. While it'd be nice to see him pass more and focus on playmaking, if he's going to be scoring like at an ovechkin-like pace....then please do, shoot first, pass second heehee.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
There's a party going down over at the leafs board. Did the drought end or something?

Excitement in the air with all that parade planning.

Though it is the first time the Leafs have won 6 in a row in a long time. I'd be pretty happy too.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Even though we lost, things are looking up...

- EJ has been playing injured
- Tanguay will return
- Guenin > Holden/Wilson (close to returning)
- Sarich > Holden/Wilson (shouldn't be that bad of an injury)
- Varlamov had his first bad game in 2-3 months.

- Giggy played well in relief. I didn't see the game but I assume by the 0.950 SP.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I was hoping MacKinnon would get about 5 to 8 points in the game, but oh well, I'll gladly accept his 2 goals! 17 goals 16 assists 33 points so far! Keep it going Sid....I MEAN KID. hehe. He's just looking better and better as the season goes along....I'm glad he's a shooting machine....140+ shots on net, only duchene has shot more times and only by a few shots. I love his aggressive nose for the net. While it'd be nice to see him pass more and focus on playmaking, if he's going to be scoring like at an ovechkin-like pace....then please do, shoot first, pass second heehee.

You see that pass to Landy in Nashville? If he only would have buried it, would have been one of the best of the year. I feel like most of MacK's slick passes have gone to Landy, they have great chemistry. Love watching him shoot the puck though!

Jiggy did play well. He might have been a bit cold on the goal he let in but that puck was bouncing like crazy too.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I honestly thought we didn't play too awful. We had tons of scoring chances, and on a normal night we probably cash in 4 goals. Their goalie was hot and we missed a couple open nets, that happens. We've just got to play hard again on Friday, and hopefully get a better result.

Hopefully Tanguay will be back and we can roll our forward lines at full strength for the first time in forever. Defense needs to man up and get back to playing smarter hockey team hockey.

I think Giggy needs the next start, Varly looked like he needed a break, he has been carrying us for like a month straight he deserves a little break. Plus Giggy looked like he was back in early season form last night, which was nice to see.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over last nights game, just one of those where you couldn't get the breaks necessary to win a game. Time to move on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad