Confirmed with Link: Valiquette with a cryptic comment on our captains/alternates

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I do think that Lafrenière will become the captain of this team, eventually. I don't necessarily think that this is a smart option at the moment, but it seems quite intriguing to give the C to the upcoming face of the franchise. Lafrenière gets generally praised for his high level of maturity, so he seems like an obvious choice. I just hope they won't rush him into it, like the Avalanche did with Landeskog a few years ago.

Should let Laf get established in the NHL first before worrying about giving him the "C". No offense man.

Salzig

I am laudable.
Feb 28, 2007
Bonn, Germany
Should let Laf get established in the NHL first before worrying about giving him the "C". No offense man.

As I said, I don’t necessarily think that it would be the best option right now. I do think however, that there is a strong possibility, that it will happen rather sooner than later.

Speaking from experience of my beer league team (hardly comparable, I know) I always thought that the most important characteristics of a captain are determination and a high hockey IQ rather than high skill set.

Unusual Suspect

Aug 22, 2005
Warren County, NJ
I don't think Valiquette is in a position where blowing smoke on something like this makes any sense whatsoever. My own guess is that the equation had come down to either Zibanejad and Kreider, and their close relationship perhaps made it seem best not to elevate one over the other. At this point, though, I think Mika's extended slump and his reaction to it... combined with their respective contract situations... may have made Kreider a much more obvious choice than was apparent at season's start.

I don't think anyone getting dealt short-term has any role here... but you'd think someone would have to relinquish an 'A'? As in 'Awkward'?

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I know its not gonna happen but watching how Lindgren plays every night he should be captain, that's what we want our players mentality to be, work hard, stick up for one another, leave it on the ice. I could think of nobody better as an on ice leader of this team. He cares, he bleeds blue.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
I'd punt Gianonne into the sun before considering getting rid of Vally.

I think Lindgren has earned the A and Kreider has earned the C.
I think so too.

Organizational loyalty--Giannone has been there how many years. Moot point because I'm just guessing. It does seem Giannone thinks Vali is smug and arrogant--which it can seem like sometimes but I get a vibe he's nervous. I like him. John totally picks on him.

Thpough FWIW Al didn't seem to like him at all.

Last edited:

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
NHL app has the projected lineup and unfortunately Howden is back in for PDG.
CK - Mike- Buch
Breadman - Strome - Blackwell
Laf- Chytil - KK
Lemmy - Brett - Rooney
Lindgren - Fox
KAM - Trouba
Smith - Hajek

Kinkaid

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
NHL app has the projected lineup and unfortunately Howden is back in for PDG.
CK - Mike- Buch
Breadman - Strome - Blackwell
Laf- Chytil - KK
Lemmy - Brett - Rooney
Lindgren - Fox
KAM - Trouba
Smith - Hajek

Kinkaid
Why would you not keep the roster the same after a 4-0 shutout?

Reactions: Cmox

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
I think so too.

Organizational loyalty--Giannone has been there how many years. Moot point because I'm just guessing. It does seem Giannone thinks Vali is smug and arrogant--which it can seem like sometimes but I get a vibe he's nervous. I like him. John totally picks on him.

Thpough FWIW Al didn't seem to like him at all.

I think the opposite, actually. I can see Giannone and Al being the "smug" ones in this scenario.

Valiquette is extremely professional, has well researched and intriguing data points to back up his analysis and seems to have a "new school" analytical approach to the game of hockey.

Giannone and Trautwig represent the "old guard" at MSG so to speak. Maybe they feel as if he is stealing their thunder?

Either way, I think Vally has a future as an analyst in this league. Hopefully ESPN picks him up or NBCSN realizes he is worlds better than Jones, Millbury, Babock and the like they have been spoon feeding us for the last decade +.

Reactions: BobMarleyNYR

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
If Laf establishes himself in 2-3 years as a dominant player in the league and a big voice in the locker room, I'm sure Kreider will have no problem handing off the C to the face of the franchise. But for now? Give the C to Kreider. Lindgren with an A makes sense in that context.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I think we're reading too much into this. One of the A's becomes the "C" and Lindgren gets an "A".

I’m sure this is correct but 4 A’s is already excessive. Having a C and 4 A’s just seems a little ridiculous. 5 of 18 skaters wearing a letter on a team that ostensibly has bad leadership?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I’m sure this is correct but 4 A’s is already excessive. Having a C and 4 A’s just seems a little ridiculous. 5 of 18 skaters wearing a letter on a team that ostensibly has bad leadership?

Off the top of my head, the following teams have 4 A's

PHI
SJS
NYR
NSH
FLA
DAL

I don't like it either but it's hardly a Rangers problem. It's an epidemic. More and more teams pulling this crap now

Ardi44

Jan 31, 2011
Off the top of my head, the following teams have 4 A's

PHI
SJS
NYR
NSH
FLA
DAL

I don't like it either but it's hardly a Rangers problem. It's an epidemic. More and more teams pulling this crap now
Its not something new. the 94 Ranger team had it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad