Confirmed with Link: Valiquette with a cryptic comment on our captains/alternates

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas

Agree w this take.

The people with letters, aside from Mika, are all on recent long term contracts. No one is taking Trouba’s cap hit in this cap world, unless we’re taking back significant cap. Kreider is on fire and was just signed. Bread is the best offensive player we’ve had in 15 years. Mika could obviously be moved with uncertainty over new contract, etc. but it feels like right now would be selling very low. I agree that’s how it sounds, but I can’t work out who would be moving.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
This is how I see it playing out.

Selling low on Zibanejad would be just another brick in the wall of a steaming wall of crap season.
No question we should sell Z. But we should do it once he recovers a bit. Prop up the value somewhat before you dump him.

Ardi44

Jan 31, 2011
I didn't read this at all as someone being removed from the roster. I read it as one of the 4 A's gets the C, and Lindgren picks up that A. 1 captain, 2 home A's 2 road A's. they've done that before.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I didn't read this at all as someone being removed from the roster. I read it as one of the 4 A's gets the C, and Lindgren picks up that A. 1 captain, 2 home A's 2 road A's. they've done that before.

IF this is legit, this is the most logical reading IMO and would have to think it will be Kreider with the C.

Reactions: Unusual Suspect

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
This is tongue in cheek, so don’t get too mad, but I could see Quinn galaxy braining his way into thinking giving Mika the C will “get him going”.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Im #20's biggest fan.
I don't think there is a better candidate to wear the C currently.

With that said, is he truly Captain material? Not sure. Not a knock on Kreider. It is a knock at lack of leadership overall.

Reactions: LokiDog

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Here's the obvious breakdown.

CK is the Captain. Each line then gets a sub-captain, which we can call Alternate if you like. Then Each D pair gets a guy with a middle manager title. Georgiev is the box stacker who pees into a bottle and likes it or gets fired.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
The Kreider stuff I don’t get. If he was their guy, wouldn’t they have given it to him going into this year after just having paid him a fat seven year extension? He would’ve been the guy. I have a gut feeling it may be Lafreniere next year or the year after. Lindgren is a guy I can TOTALLY get behind as the captain. These two (JD and JG) wanted to be “tougher” to play against and Lindgren couldn’t embody that any more than he already does. Guy is a warrior. He will stand up for anybody on his team. That’s a captain. A no nonsense player. I like him a lot. Glad some are starting to appreciate him. He’s basically a little nastier than Girardi was but similar players. I think Lindgren skates better and hits more, though.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
In terms of, “if Kreider was their guy, why didn’t they do it in the off-season”:

Because they wanted to see who stepped up this year. First year without Hank and Staal. Could have made a case for a few players before the year but they wanted to see who would actually step up as it played out.

LokiDog

Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
In terms of, “if Kreider was their guy, why didn’t they do it in the off-season”:

Because they wanted to see who stepped up this year. First year without Hank and Staal. Could have made a case for a few players before the year but they wanted to see who would actually step up as it played out.

I think they also wanted to see how he would respond after getting a big pay day. Was he going to be status quo or would he still bring it. So far he’s been the Kreider we’re used to in ways - he’s never going to be a guy who is absolutely on every game, he’s simply not a superstar player; if he did bring his A game every night he would be - and that’s okay. He has shown that he’s still hungry, motivated, embracing being a leader and has stepped up when the team has been flailing. Those are good signs for a guy who just got a huge contract and could have sat back.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I know we all want to read into it, but those tweets from Vally really seem like he's just being cheeky and doing some light trolling.

I'd like to see Lindgren with a letter for what it's worth, but I don't think this is really proof of anything. If Vally actually had inside info I don't think he would be tweeting about it, really just seems like he's messing around.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
We'd hope that the pressures of Captain would affect Kreider and the team in a positive manner.

If he feels he has to lead by example, it will mean he's skating. When he's skating, he's a game changer.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
The Kreider stuff I don’t get. If he was their guy, wouldn’t they have given it to him going into this year after just having paid him a fat seven year extension? He would’ve been the guy. I have a gut feeling it may be Lafreniere next year or the year after. Lindgren is a guy I can TOTALLY get behind as the captain. These two (JD and JG) wanted to be “tougher” to play against and Lindgren couldn’t embody that any more than he already does. Guy is a warrior. He will stand up for anybody on his team. That’s a captain. A no nonsense player. I like him a lot. Glad some are starting to appreciate him. He’s basically a little nastier than Girardi was but similar players. I think Lindgren skates better and hits more, though.
Maybe they wanted to wait and see who stepped up with the older guys shipped out. CK has stepped up big this year so far and it’s been one of the harder years in a while, so stepping up to lead during it counts for a lot. Lindgren is a leader on the ice with his play but I’m not sure that’s enough to be a captain yet.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I don't really understand why Panarin is never considered as Captain material. He's clearly the most consistent player on the team.

Is it a language barrier thing?

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Kreider has done everything on and off the ice to be worthy of the "C" he is signed long term, just give it to him. I'm ready to get a "C" sewed onto my Kreider jersey. Let it friggin happen already!!

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not that it is a requirement, but he is also the longest tenured Ranger. I think he has earned it.

Before it was about waiting since they were in a rebuild, and yeah not sure who was staying or going. Now, Kreider is the longest tenured current Ranger, signed long term, has stepped up huge during a struggling Rangers team, and has defended teammates on and off the ice. Now am annoyed if he doesn't get it.

Rangerfans

Oct 12, 2008

I completely agree with this. He has stepped up not only with his play, but with his defense against teammates (especially the complaints against Mika whom obviously is snake bitten this year). He has earned it.

Salzig

I am laudable.
Feb 28, 2007
Bonn, Germany
I do think that Lafrenière will become the captain of this team, eventually. I don't necessarily think that this is a smart option at the moment, but it seems quite intriguing to give the C to the upcoming face of the franchise. Lafrenière gets generally praised for his high level of maturity, so he seems like an obvious choice. I just hope they won't rush him into it, like the Avalanche did with Landeskog a few years ago.

In regard to Kreider, I think that the Rangers had multiple chances to make him the captain, especially during last off season, after he signed his massive extension. It would just seem a bit odd to me, if they all of a sudden named him captain.

Reactions: Rangers ftw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad