Friedman: Vadim Shipachyov given permission to seek a trade

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Yep he's not annoyed with the situation at all. Obviously that report a couple weeks back was completely baseless, good thing it was quickly denied :sarcasm:

This just looks really awful on Vegas. You don't sign a guy for 9/2 and then treat him like this. I don't care if you don't think he's a fit after 3 games. You sign guys that you think are going to be fits, if the guy comes in and you play him 3 games, 10 minutes/game and decide he's not a fit, then you're completely overreacting. Good luck getting Gusev to come over and play for you ever. Surprised Ship signed there given the history with McPhee and Orlov.

Reactions: Szechwan

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Tells me he doesn’t like it in NA and wants to go home.

If you're going to sacrifice playing in the Olympics, you want to do it playing in the NHL. Now, it's not like Chicago is WBS, but he's likely looking at where he could have been had he chosen another of the potential suitors.

It will be interesting to see if this leads to a mutual termination of contract. Does he sign a one year deal with someone else? Does he go home to play in KHL and then Olympics? Does VGK hold the contract and his rights?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't agree at all.

The NHL is a 4 line league, every shift matters. According to who did they look like a bottom 5 team lol? They have great depth. Everyone in their prime. Looked like they where going to destroy Colorado the other night, stopped at 7-0.

Can you imagine how good they would have been if they would have tried to build a good team?
They don't have a bottom 5 team on paper. They have a bottom 1. By far the worst team in the NHL.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Amazing job by McPhee and very professional response from Shipachyov. Good luck convincing Gusev to come over.

I obviously hope Vadim still signs a cheap NHL contract, but I doubt any team that has a spot for him takes that risk.

Reactions: Morrison

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Can someone provide me a timeline of Shipachyov's time with the Golden Knights? With all the recent news, that would be a sight to see.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
McPhee is hilariously bad. :-D

"umm lets randomly sign a 4.5mil dude without scouting and then play him 10min in 3 games with plugs until he quits".

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Morrison

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Tells me he doesn’t like it in NA and wants to go home.

Or that he's mad he's been given very little time to showcase what he can do?

I'd be mad too if I got paid big bucks to come over and play in the NHL - made that jump and then got buried in the AHL because of an oddly constructed roster and a few meaningless preseason games... Poor preseason be damned, this is on Vegas more than it is on him IMO.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why are people blaming McPhee on this? I feel like people are deluding themselves into believing that Shipachyov has proven 100% to be a NHL player. Know what would have been a bad move by McPhee? Giving a guy who hasn't played better than his other players a guaranteed spot in the NHL just because. McPhee's handling of Vegas' D has been bad, although he's fixing that somewhat now with waiving Garrison and Reinhart. But Shipachyov? It's completely fine. Want to play in the NHL? Maybe you should outplay people like Tuch, Karlsson and Lindberg, because you haven't done that yet. He belongs in the AHL right now to adjust to the North American game, that's 100% where he should be.

It's funny that everyone is railing McPhee on this while not saying anything about how entitled/stubborn Shipachyov is being in this situation. Just shut up, go play well in the AHL and you'll get called back up to the NHL. I just see an entitled brat that thinks he's entitled to NHL time right now from him.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Why are people blaming McPhee on this? I feel like people are deluding themselves into believing that Shipachyov has proven 100% to be a NHL player. Know what would have been a bad move by McPhee? Giving a guy who hasn't played better than his other players a guaranteed spot in the NHL just because. McPhee's handling of Vegas' D has been bad, although he's fixing that somewhat now with waiving Garrison and Reinhart. But Shipachyov? It's completely fine. Want to play in the NHL? Maybe you should outplay people like Tuch, Karlsson and Lindberg, because you haven't done that yet. He belongs in the AHL right now to adjust to the North American game, that's 100% where he should be.

It's funny that everyone is railing McPhee on this while not saying anything about how entitled/stubborn Shipachyov is being in this situation. Just shut up, go play well in the AHL and you'll get called back up to the NHL. I just see an entitled brat that thinks he's entitled to NHL time right now from him.
I'm not going to disagree with you entirely, but keep in mind the following:

1. We don't know what was promised or talked about behind closed doors. McPhee could, genuinely have promised ice-time or opportunities and reneged.
2. There is legitimate concern that McPhee's own mistakes have caused the player to miss-out on opportunities.
3. Ship missing NHL ice-time directly impacts his ability to make a living. If he doesn't feel like he's been given a fair shot and thus the opportunity to put up points, it impacts his ability to secure a second contract and future earnings.
4. McPhee has a history of this type of behaviour

Players are human. I remember a rant from Mike Commodore about a GM promising him an open camp and chance to prove himself and feeling slighted and holding a long grudge because shenanigans like this cost him a job. If I lost future dollars and opportunities because a GM wouldn't waive players with no value, I'd be pissed. Especially if promises were made.

RossiyaSport

Aug 18, 2017
www.instagram.com
A player who is one of the best KHL players who played for a very wealthy successful team in a city of 5 million people is not going to play in the AHL.

The guy is clearly a good talent. Theres tons of guys playing in the NHL every night not as talented as him. There is not a viable argument that he can't play in the NHL and give adequate production. There is no sample to base that on.

Reactions: Cquant

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm not going to disagree with you entirely, but keep in mind the following:

1. We don't know what was promised or talked about behind closed doors. McPhee could, genuinely have promised ice-time.
2. There is legitimate concern that McPhee's own mistakes have caused the player to miss-out
3. Ship missing NHL ice-time directly impacts his ability to make a living. If he doesn't feel like he's been given a fair shot and thus the opportunity to put up points, it impacts his ability to secure a second contract and future earnings.
4. McPhee has a history of this type of behaviour

Players are human. I remember a rant from Mike Commodore about a GM promising him an open camp and chance to prove himself and feeling slighted and holding a long grudge because shenanigans like this cost him a job. If I lost future dollars and opportunities because a GM wouldn't waive players with no value, I'd be pissed. Especially if promises were made.

I should be clear, I'm not absolving McPhee from anything. He has botched a lot of the early season roster management for Vegas, that is without a doubt. I wouldn't doubt that he did promise Shipachyov ice time. However, it's also up to Ship to show he deserves that ice time. Yes, it's ****ty that McPhee promised that ice time, but Shipachyov isn't going to get that ice time if he's being outplayed by a ton of players. That's just not how the NHL operates. McPhee's failures so far have been mostly related to hoarding defensemen because he wants to trade them for value, but the Shipachyov situation isn't another failure on his part. It may be related to the hoarding of defensemen, but it's not McPhee's fault that Shipachyov is being outplayed by other players.

The thing is I don't think Shipachyov loses any money by playing in the AHL, he has a 1-way deal I believe. What he should do is just be quiet, play well in the AHL and force his way into the NHL. However, he's not doing that, he's just pouting about not getting ice time he wants.

A player who is one of the best KHL players who played for a very wealthy successful team in a city of 5 million people is not going to play in the AHL.

The guy is clearly a good talent. Theres tons of guys playing in the NHL every night not as talented as him. There is not a viable argument that he can't play in the NHL and give adequate production. There is no sample to base that on.

Where is this sample that says that he can play in the NHL? There are plenty of players who put up big KHL numbers that could never make it in the NHL. For every Panarin you get, you get 4+ guys like Tikhonov or Plotnikov.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Why are people blaming McPhee on this? I feel like people are deluding themselves into believing that Shipachyov has proven 100% to be a NHL player.

So you would have been "fine" with 4.5x2 cap sitting in the AHL? Solid move?

It is customary to scout players before making commitments. You d expect 20 goals from 4.5mil guy, minimum.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I am upset at Vegas' management, but I actually kind of understand them.

The team is winning without him. He needs playing time to adjust to NA, but that would require making changes to lineups and possibly ruining the great chemistry.

Tough situation, but Vegas' brass can't just cater to one player.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So you would have been "fine" with 4.5x2 cap sitting in the AHL? Solid move?

It is customary to scout players before making commitments. You d expect 20 goals from 4.5mil guy, minimum.

Seeing how the Knights aren't even remotely close to the cap ceiling, that is really a non factor here. Paying him that much money isn't a justification to keep him in the NHL, that's ridiculous.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish

Except McPhee said when he was sent down it was not performance related. He admitted it was only due to the contract situation and he would be in the NHL as soon as they got it resolved.

It’s possible they weren’t satisfied with his play and are jerking him around so they can get out of the contract, but it’s hard to blame Ship in this case.

Reactions: BHD

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
What about Florida to reunite him with Dadonov?

Seems like the ideal situation for Ship. He gets to play behind two strong defensive guys in Trocheck and Barkov. Has some skilled players to play with.

The biggest question would be whether Florida wants to take his contract and what they'd be willing to trade for him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Except McPhee said when he was sent down it was not performance related. He admitted it was only due to the contract situation and he would be in the NHL as soon as they got it resolved.

It’s possible they weren’t satisfied with his play and are jerking him around so they can get out of the contract, but it’s hard to blame Ship in this case.

Like I said above, I'm not absolving McPhee of blame here. His roster management so far this year has been a massive failure, mainly stemming from hoarding a bunch of fringe NHL defensemen in hopes of trading them for assets. That is related to the Shipachyov situation, but I don't think that's the only factor. Shipachyov hasn't played well enough to force his way on to the NHL roster. McPhee showed this week that he's willing to waive defensemen if players forced their way onto the NHL roster, when he waived Garrison to keep Tuch in the NHL. Shipachyov just hasn't played well enough for McPhee to do that with him.

Both sides have ****ed up here, but I think Shipachyov taking his ball and going home when he hasn't done well enough to lock down a NHL spot is worse than McPhee hoarding a bunch of crappy defensemen.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
What about Florida to reunite him with Dadonov?

Seems like the ideal situation for Ship. He gets to play behind two strong defensive guys in Trocheck and Barkov. Has some skilled players to play with.

The biggest question would be whether Florida wants to take his contract and what they'd be willing to trade for him.

I was thinking more of Columbus to reunite him with his other former linemate Panarin. They have the cap space to fit him too.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Well, it would require only 6 forwards, since he needs to play a top 6 role to be effective.
Only if you believe that the only way to construct a hockey team is the way it was done in Sega's NHL '94.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Where is this sample that says that he can play in the NHL? There are plenty of players who put up big KHL numbers that could never make it in the NHL. For every Panarin you get, you get 4+ guys like Tikhonov or Plotnikov.

Just because the names are russian and they are coming from the KHL doesn't mean that Plotnikov or Tikhonov were in any way comparable to Radulov or Panarin. That is an absurd argument. They were miles apart as players in the KHL as well.

E:
Ship was much closer to Rads & Panarin than the other two and was much more impressive than Dadonov who seems to be doing fine in Florida. I was genuinely excited to watch him feed Neal this season because he's a fun player and he deserves to get the chance that was sure promised him.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad