GDT: VA @ PA @ 4pm PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
1702610118954.gif

My game puck goes to Dylan Strome for a goal, a primary helper, and a 68% xG share. Honorable mentions to Aliaksei Protas, Tom Wilson, and the Edmundson/Jensen duo.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I hate it when I'm right, well sort of. Over the years I can't remember us having success against Torts coached teams. Disappointing that we were 3 min away from a regulation win(although 3 min is plenty of time).

Reactions: Fred22406Capsfan

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
The Edmonton Globetrotters vs Tampa Bay Kucherovs is worth your entertainment dollar
On cue - another Bouch bomb

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I hate it when I'm right, well sort of. Over the years I can't remember us having success against Torts coached teams. Disappointing that we were 3 min away from a regulation win(although 3 min is plenty of time).
I agree. I remember him coming to phone booth with Tampa and just owning us. I left mad so many time!

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
His immense strength is still there, it was on display tonight when he'd make what looked like little shoves and still send people hard into the boards, he just needs to start using it even if it tires him out in front and see where that gets him. That's the thing that he can still give, insane strength and effort, but he has to find a new level to channel it because he's arguably past the point of just floating in the soft spots... as he stands right now, he's not quick enough to get to the soft spots.

His offseason will determine a lot but for now, as he is, get down there and muck it up, thrive on being stupid strong, and try to slap shit in. If everything else has left you, being a big boy sure hasn't, so go do that.

Yeah, and if he just parks his ass in front of the net, he’ll start to get deflections and favorable rebounds.

When all else fails, this is the simplest recipe as a hockey player. He’s still trying to do complicated shit like he’s playing for the 2010 Caps.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
In a lead-protecting situation and they put out Beck Malenstyn, one of their worst defensive forwards, every other shift while stapling Matthew Phillips to the bench. That's an odd one.

I'm not actually sure Malenstyn is an NHLer. He'd be the player I sit if Kuznetsov comes back next game. And certainly when Milano returns and when Pacioretty finally debuts.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Extend Lindgren. Please and thank you.
He has another year after this one. I don't think BMac will start on that till the off-season. We don't know how many games he will play the whole season, and if the Caps make the playoffs, will Lindgren be the starter. Just too many unknowns for an extension to be given right now.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Yeah, and if he just parks his ass in front of the net, he’ll start to get deflections and favorable rebounds.

When all else fails, this is the simplest recipe as a hockey player. He’s still trying to do complicated shit like he’s playing for the 2010 Caps.
and the paradox is that the more he starts becoming dangerous in the areas where he still can be, the more he can unlock those vintage Ovechkin moments by lagging on getting there in favor of the wrist shot.

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
In a lead-protecting situation and they put out Beck Malenstyn, one of their worst defensive forwards, every other shift while stapling Matthew Phillips to the bench. That's an odd one.
A.) Don't think that chart you shared had Beck as one of the worst...

B.) We already pretty clearly established that most of Phillips' work is done in transition (as are his deployments) and his zone work is spotty.

What is your problem again?

Reactions: Rockingred12

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
A.) Don't think that chart you shared had Beck as one of the worst...

B.) We already pretty clearly established that most of Phillips' work is done in transition (as are his deployments) and his zone work is spotty.

What is your problem again?

1702611014632.png

In terms of pure ES defense Malenstyn is one of the worst on the team. As evidenced by The Chart.

I don't think we actually established anything about Phillips' in zone defense. I think you just claimed it as truth based on vibes? Either way, it sure would have been nice to have someone who could transition the puck out of the defensive zone instead the team getting Becked!

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
View attachment 783732

In terms of pure ES defense Malenstyn is one of the worst on the team. As evidenced by The Chart.

I don't think we actually established anything about Phillips' in zone defense. I think you just claimed it as truth based on vibes? Either way, it sure would have been nice to have someone who could transition the puck out of the defensive zone instead the team getting Becked!
yep, that's on me, I definitely thought that bar was lower but I think I got him mixed with Aube-Kubel in the moment. I had too many fires cooking based on the last posting and absolutely mixed them. As far as Phillips, all that defensive impact you quote is linked to the fact that the majority of his deployment is in transition, so any extrapolating you do needs to be based on that fact.

You'd bench Malenstyn, who is two places below Phillips in your fancy stats graph to play Kuznetsov?

Tell me you don't have an axe to grind against the board and I'll bother taking the rest seriously.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Caps were I think 4-0 in SOs before tonight.
I’m thinking of the Dallas game last week in particular that left a bad taste in my mouth. Similar blowing of 3rd period leads, then control OT, but no one can score.

And then a bad showing on the SO where no one even looks like they’ve contemplated how to beat a goalie, lol.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
Delayed watch, still 10 mins in the 3rd thanks for all the spoilers and the Phillips/Malenstyn debate. Takes the eyes away from the OV stick handling yipps, and overall dreadful PP conversations that should be occurring.

Locker quote of the night
"Tom Wilson Hounded the D man"

Sorry, wut

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I’m thinking of the Dallas game last week in particular that left a bad taste in my mouth. Similar blowing of 3rd period leads, then control OT, but no one can score.

And then a bad showing on the SO where no one even looks like they’ve contemplated how to beat a goalie, lol.
Shootout W/L are meh for me in general. Tie game and someone had to get the 2nd point. Would like the NHL to retool the OT with some kind timer on possession, like in the NBA you have to cross half court in a certain time period or lose possession of the ball. Maybe also have a rule you lose possession of the puck when you take it out of offensive zone so you can get two fresh players on the ice. Or another rule could be you have a shot clock in O-Zone, like in the NBA. Bottom line some definite changes in OT need to be made.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
They blew the lead twice before losing in the shootout. Not great. But at least they're scoring?

Ovie is floating more than ever out there and it's become concerning to say the least. I get if he's injured or trying to conserve energy and play smart while looking for his chances, but his work rate is very low overall compared to everyone else on the ice, AND when he handles the puck he's at least 50/50 to flub it.

That last part is the most disturbing. A guy can hide a little in a system that has some diggers and grinders doing the heavy lifting, but when the puck comes to you you need to make something happen.

It's like a hand grenade to him right now, except on the one-timer, which isn't going in because everyone's ready for it. Maybe even losing a MPH or two might be enough for goalies to catch up instead of blowing it through the 7 hole or whatever.

Ovie's usually taken about 20 games to get his legs under a new system and we're 26 games into the schedule. The other players have adapted so the grace period is over.

It looks like he's hit a wall. I don't know if he's modified his diet and habits compared to the last 20 years when he could just work out and eat pasta and drink cokes and simply burn it off and recover the next day or two, but he might need to think about dropping some serious weight in order to adjust and keep up with the skaters around him. Maybe that's on his mind and affecting his puck handling.

Monsterrain

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland
They blew the lead twice before losing in the shootout. Not great. But at least they're scoring?

Ovie is floating more than ever out there and it's become concerning to say the least. I get if he's injured or trying to conserve energy and play smart while looking for his chances, but his work rate is very low overall compared to everyone else on the ice, AND when he handles the puck he's at least 50/50 to flub it.

That last part is the most disturbing. A guy can hide a little in a system that has some diggers and grinders doing the heavy lifting, but when the puck comes to you you need to make something happen.

It's like a hand grenade to him right now, except on the one-timer, which isn't going in because everyone's ready for it. Maybe even losing a MPH or two might be enough for goalies to catch up instead of blowing it through the 7 hole or whatever.

Ovie's usually taken about 20 games to get his legs under a new system and we're 26 games into the schedule. The other players have adapted so the grace period is over.

It looks like he's hit a wall. I don't know if he's modified his diet and habits compared to the last 20 years when he could just work out and eat pasta and drink cokes and simply burn it off and recover the next day or two, but he might need to think about dropping some serious weight in order to adjust and keep up with the skaters around him. Maybe that's on his mind and affecting his puck handling.
It’s all on him. He won’t drop the weight.

Reactions: Ovie's Neighbor

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC

Yeah, I mentioned his eating habits before. Metabolism slowing down at 38. Eating Mamma Lucia's chicken parm w/ noodles and bread for your pre-game meal is going to sit like a brick. Plus, I think Carberry's system requires a complete game from him and we all know he's used to being fed pucks by others working to gain possession.

Right now, when he's battling on the boards for a puck, he looks like an old overweight Rocky Balboa trying to catch a chicken for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad