Raptors Discussion: v97 Raptor's 2023-2024 Season complete - 6th. worst team.

Keep or Trade - Siakam

• Trade

Votes: 63 90.0%
  • Re-Sign

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
They shouldn't want to tank this year. They don't own their 1st unless it's top 6. Given that this is not a great draft and if they trigger the protections it just slides to next season they're probably better off letting the Spurs have the pick in this softer year and go all in on the tank for 2025 where there appear to be some interesting names.

They arent even tanking this year. Darko is self tanking ans should be removed. 6 blowouts in 10 games. That would not happen here with Nurse, it would be somewhat competitive.

Can anyone seriously imagine giving top 10 pick for Poetl.

Masai and Darko defenders, whats the response?

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
They arent even tanking this year. Darko is self tanking ans should be removed. 6 blowouts in 10 games. That would not happen here with Nurse, it would be somewhat competitive.

The Raptors are slowly implementing a new defense. There are growing pains on that, plus new people.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
They shouldn't want to tank this year. They don't own their 1st unless it's top 6. Given that this is not a great draft and if they trigger the protections it just slides to next season they're probably better off letting the Spurs have the pick in this softer year and go all in on the tank for 2025 where there appear to be some interesting names.
I can't see a tank happening next year. IMO they will retool and be pretty competitive, if we're dogshit next year with Barnes another year older and a full season of RJ + Quickley then we have bigger problems IMO

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
On a side note, as well as Scottie has played this year it seems he still has a bit of an attitude problem. The team internally suspended Siakam for one game before when he got frustrated and walked off the court after being fouled out, I think they may have to do some tough love with Barnes as well.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

1707831242483.png

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Barnes was garbage and his attitude is disgusting. Leaving the game early moping around all game. Not a leader not a winner

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
You guys that want to tank so bad are so out to lunch. What good does it do getting blown out like this every single night? These players are human too. Scottie is frustrated because he wants to win. He is still young, he will learn to contain his frustration and moping, but see what this can do to young players? It’s not good. Raps will have to find a way to improve and get better next year. They will have to find a way to get back to contender level without tanking. Tanking is shit.

If you gonna go the tanking route, you will most definitely get your teeth kicked in every night. This is not hockey where tanking teams can still be competitive in most games.

Reactions: thewave

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
There are simply giving playing time to see what they have. It’s going to be a rough end to the year, but the building blocks are there with Barnes, Quickley, RJ and Dick.

Fully tanking doesn’t work very often, see how many teams have been so bad for so long. The impatience here is unreal.

And those thinking Nurse would do a better job, he left because he didn’t want to coach a rebuilding team. He wants a ready built team to coach. See how Philly has done without Embiid? And you think he can do better with this group of players? Hilarious.

Reactions: 1specter

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
There are simply giving playing time to see what they have. It’s going to be a rough end to the year, but the building blocks are there with Barnes, Quickley, RJ and Dick.

Fully tanking doesn’t work very often, see how many teams have been so bad for so long. The impatience here is unreal.

And those thinking Nurse would do a better job, he left because he didn’t want to coach a rebuilding team. He wants a ready built team to coach. See how Philly has done without Embiid? And you think he can do better with this group of players? Hilarious.
It's hilarious how hard people are going in on a coach who is in his first full season as an HC and literally halfway through the year his entire roster gets turned over. They just lost their best player, their best defender and the guy who was the starting PG until Quickley came in, amongst others. Anyone expecting lots of success in these circumstances is completely delusional. Masai should definitely shoulder some blame for hanging on too long to the old roster but I find it bizarre to be mad at Darko in all of this.

I mean, Gregg Popovich who is considered a GOAT coach has 11 wins with arguably the best prospect in two decades on his roster lol

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You guys that want to tank so bad are so out to lunch. What good does it do getting blown out like this every single night? These players are human too. Scottie is frustrated because he wants to win. He is still young, he will learn to contain his frustration and moping, but see what this can do to young players? It’s not good. Raps will have to find a way to improve and get better next year. They will have to find a way to get back to contender level without tanking. Tanking is shit.

If you gonna go the tanking route, you will most definitely get your teeth kicked in every night. This is not hockey where tanking teams can still be competitive in most games.
Most people dont get the difference. They dont get that the NBA is a league where the tank team hopes to get a top 10 star and then builds around them until the star runs the team and build it themselves or leave for LA.

Getting blown out in the NBA is a great way for your good players asking for a trade.

It's hilarious how hard people are going in on a coach who is in his first full season as an HC and literally halfway through the year his entire roster gets turned over. They just lost their best player, their best defender and the guy who was the starting PG until Quickley came in, amongst others. Anyone expecting lots of success in these circumstances is completely delusional. Masai should definitely shoulder some blame for hanging on too long to the old roster but I find it bizarre to be mad at Darko in all of this.

I mean, Gregg Popovich who is considered a GOAT coach has 11 wins with arguably the best prospect in two decades on his roster lol

The better players hate Toronto. Its a crap destination with many annoying logistic issues etc. Much easier to stay and work in the USA.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Most people dont get the difference. They dont get that the NBA is a league where the tank team hopes to get a top 10 star and then builds around them until the star runs the team and build it themselves or leave for LA.

Getting blown out in the NBA is a great way for your good players asking for a trade.

The better players hate Toronto. Its a crap destination with many annoying logistic issues etc. Much easier to stay and work in the USA.

Opposing players love coming to Toronto it is probably Top 5 in the favorite road trips.

Problem is that it's a top 5 to visit but bottom 5 of want to play there.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Scottie needs to be humbled soon. Darko is too soft to bench him but they need to handle him like they did Siakam early in his career

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto

Scottie needs to be humbled soon. Darko is too soft to bench him but they need to handle him like they did Siakam early in his career

Scottie needs to mature, fast
Darko needs to start proving he was the right coach for a young, rebuilding team

Enjoy the clown show boys

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Man the takes in here are wild, year 1 of a rebuild essentially. Really like month 1 of the actual rebuild. Rookie coach, Barnes just lots all his veteran support in FVV, Siakim, OG, Schroder. There is a chance neither Darko or Barnes are here down the road, but they are getting runway to actually develop and figure it out. We won't be Pistons or Spurs bad (who both have outstanding coaches) ... but this is a try out year essentially for roster pieces and important development time which will result in bad defense, bad shots, blowouts.

People wanted Nurse gone. Done.
Move on from Vets. Done.
Let Barnes get the keys to the franchise. Done.
Get picks and cap flexibility. Done and still being worked on.

Not sure what fans wanted. I remember the Bosh and pre Bosh days where there was never hope or really a chance. This isn't those years. It's a new management and although it seems long ago, they did win a championship 5 years ago. Let them build it back up.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Man the takes in here are wild, year 1 of a rebuild essentially. Really like month 1 of the actual rebuild. Rookie coach, Barnes just lots all his veteran support in FVV, Siakim, OG, Schroder. There is a chance neither Darko or Barnes are here down the road, but they are getting runway to actually develop and figure it out. We won't be Pistons or Spurs bad (who both have outstanding coaches) ... but this is a try out year essentially for roster pieces and important development time which will result in bad defense, bad shots, blowouts.

People wanted Nurse gone. Done.
Move on from Vets. Done.
Let Barnes get the keys to the franchise. Done.
Get picks and cap flexibility. Done and still being worked on.

Not sure what fans wanted. I remember the Bosh and pre Bosh days where there was never hope or really a chance. This isn't those years. It's a new management and although it seems long ago, they did win a championship 5 years ago. Let them build it back up.

It's not a rebuild. Its a retool.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
It's not a rebuild. Its a retool.

Can be called whatever Masai and Co. want. Barnes is basically the elder statesman now, it's a restart of the direction and roster regardless. I don't think they will really know a timeline until long after the season ends and the lottery and free agency play out. There is almost unlimited directions that can play out. The NBA is not known for loyalty and big name guys get moved all the time, plus they could actually just build depth and through the draft. Time will tell. Enjoy the ride folks, your stuck with this coach and some of the team (4-6 players?) for a couple years minimum. I am enjoying seeing the growth and pain of the young guys that we have and have recently brought on board. It's a better direction than we had this time last year so we are steering in the right direction after doing a 180.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Guys, I'm not impressed with Scottie at all. I hate his body language and he's been disappointing to say the least since Pascal and OG got traded.

Don't hand him the keys to this team yet. He's got to earn it.

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Guys, I'm not impressed with Scottie at all. I hate his body language and he's been disappointing to say the least since Pascal and OG got traded.

Don't hand him the keys to this team yet. He's got to earn it.
I've always doubted him as a true number 1, I see him being in that Siakam class of a#2 on a good team or #1 on a bad team

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Excellent hard fought tank loss and Scottie bounced back nicely.

I've always doubted him as a true number 1, I see him being in that Siakam class of a#2 on a good team or #1 on a bad team
While Scottie needs to clean up his attitude, he's arguably the best player of his entire draft class and a legitimate star this season. He's also the only player from his draft to even make an All Star game at all since being drafted. He's miles ahead of where Siakam was at the same age.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad