Raptors Discussion: v92 | Off-season for the Raptors. Let's see what Masai has up his sleeve

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I don't get it. They replaced an actually good coach with a glorified puppet.

Well, actually in that context I do get it. Star players love puppet coaches that they can bully into letting players do whatever they want. It's how LeBron works. But from an organizational standpoint it looks bad to move from one of the most respected coaches in the league to a guy whose biggest contribution to coaching was "he managed not to piss off and alienate LeBron for a couple years."

This behaviour and the lack of parity in the NBA are the reasons I can't really stand it. There is so much arrogance and not really any kind of suspense or strategy... the winning formula is effectively getting all of the really good players on one team and using the cap loopholes to build a decent team around them.

Then like 80% of the league can't even compete with you.

However with the way that the NBA makes money, they don't care. They can just make a crap load of merchandising money off of those few guys and will do anything to make sure they continue to do well. It's almost like the entire thing is scripted, and they keep rolling out the same script that people constantly eat up.

I can't blame the league execs though; they just do what works, and the NBA generates like 9 billion in revenue every year.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
And now sportsnet is reporting there's disfunction in LA where done Clippers players don't like all the preferential treatment that Kawhi gets.

I don't wish him ill because he helped the Raptors win a championship, but this is what the league is becoming. Cater to the stars and alienate everybody else from half your roster to your coaches to the fans.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Between the Super Team Meta where 80% of the teams in the league don't have a snowball's chance in hell of competing, as well as this over the top preferential treatment star players get, the NBA is not putting out as good of a product as it used to. It's still WAY better than football but a fairly distant third from hockey and baseball imo.

Reactions: heatersthebest

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Between the Super Team Meta where 80% of the teams in the league don't have a snowball's chance in hell of competing, as well as this over the top preferential treatment star players get, the NBA is not putting out as good of a product as it used to. It's still WAY better than football but a fairly distant third from hockey and baseball imo.
The Super Team Meta has existed in the NBA for decades. A couple teams stack their lineup with two or three superstars and shit all over the rest of the league.

Before the "Big Three", there was the Shaq era Lakers, the 90s Bulls, Duncan's Spurs, The Bad Boys, Showtime, Bird and McHale's Celtics. It has been and always will be the way the league works.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The Super Team Meta has existed in the NBA for decades. A couple teams stack their lineup with two or three superstars and shit all over the rest of the league.

Before the "Big Three", there was the Shaq era Lakers, the 90s Bulls, Duncan's Spurs, The Bad Boys, Showtime, Bird and McHale's Celtics. It has been and always will be the way the league works.

The amount of player influence in team roster building has never been higher, though.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
The amount of player influence in team roster building has never been higher, though.
It’s actually pretty pathetic how the league is run. Players run everything and it shows. The money is crazy

Reactions: KapG

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
Thing in the NBA is, your star players can play almost the full game. That makes a huge difference. You only need 2-3 players who play 40+ mins in the playoffs and you're golden. Baseball, Football, Hockey aren't like that. Imagine if the Leafs could roll Tavares, Matthews, Marner for 50 mins a game? Look out...

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I'm a little surprised that Adrian Griffin wasn't the first one plucked from the Nick Nurse coaching tree. But on the other hand I'm glad he wasn't because I like Griffin and want him to stick around.

not to be a jerk but how was it at all homegrown? Lowry, Ibaka, Gasol, Kawhi, Green were all trades. Only homegrown is Siakim. Og was hurt

Lowry essentially counts as homegrown. His developing into an elite, all-NBA point guard was entirely within the confines of his time as a Raptor.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Rumours that Clippers are gonna break up their roster.

Kawhi

giphy.gif

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

If they run a similar offence to those Pheonix Suns teams they were on together the Nets are going to be deadly with Kyrie, Durant and Jordan. Nash is a way better overall PG than Kyrie but Durant is 100x better than anyone Nash ever played with and Jordan is a very good rebounder/rim protecter/finisher at the rim like Stoudamire was.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto

Those teams all drafted their players for the most part unlike any lebron team which he has to handpick his teammates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad