Raptors Discussion: V84 | One More | Next game : Jun 13, 9pm ET/6pm PT | RAPTORS LEAD SERIES 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
The cheering started because the fans saw Ibaka steal the ball from Durant because he slipped, which most fans would do when their team makes a play. The rest of the applauding was what everyone does after an injured player gets up on their own. They were showing respect for Durant, not being rude.
I don’t see it that way. I’ve watched the whole sequence several times now and it appears they were cheering when they realized he was really limping.

I wasn’t in the building so it’s tough to know for sure, but that’s the vibe Ibaka, Lowry, Green etc were getting. Even Drake looked concerned.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Toronto fans are awful. We all remember the bat flip but choose to ignore the debauchery that preceded it. Hitting babies with beer. Trying to hit Rangers players. The uniquely Torontonians inferiority complex strikes again.
Unique? :laugh: Toronto is just late to the party. Classless sports fans have been in existence worldwide for decades now. Some might even say centuries if you consider bloodsport going all the way back to Roman gladiators. :laugh:

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
That's the thing about sports. Every fan base has it's douchebags and moments like this that embarrass our team/city. When it's another teams fanbase that does something stupid they'll go to social media to call them out and say that's Toronto for ya but then when it's their teams fanbase they'll make excuses for them doing it. Nobody can probably name a franchise in a professional sport where their fanbase hasn't done something like this or even worse. Vancouver fans call us out when they rioted after losing in the cup finals. Boston fans call us out after they made signs calling Kadri a terrorist because of his religion. Sports brings everyone together but it can also show the bad side of people.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Tim and Sid discuss the outrage from the reaction of the Toronto Raptors fans at Scotiabank Arena booing Kevin Durant’s injury.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
To be frank, Demarcus Cousins has no business talking to anybody about anything, considering he's a mercenary literally trying to passenger his way to a championship ring...
Whether he’s 1-15 on the roster he’s absolutely right, so what does that matter?

Also, he’s coming off a torn achilles as well. He didn’t receive any offers as a FA so the Warriors checked in, and their 5m offer was better than the zero other ones he had. They allowed him to sit half the season and not be rushed back to be ‘the guy’ ... It was a very good fit.

What would you have done?

Reactions: Radiohead

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
That’s kind of why you don’t cheer, though?

I’m not saying everyone is classless, but it was a clear momentary lapse in judgment that shouldn’t happen. I’m hopeful everyone who did cheer is regretful and won’t do it again. Hopefully most show more class if ever in the same situation again.

Most are over it. It was bad, now it’s done.. I entered the discussion to quote someone who blamed the Warriors for this.

I think it had more to do with how desperate Raptors fans are for a win... it took them moment to realize what they were actually doing and that’s when they flipped to ‘KD’ chants to try and compensate for what dicks they’d just been. :laugh:

Don’t cheer? They didn’t want to cheer, something happened and emotion set in and they cheered.

Split second, you can’t control a split second emotion. And as I said above you have no idea what they were cheering for. I was cheering for Ibaka’s steal... so irresponsible to paint a broad picture as all fans who cheered are or were classless.

“Clear momentary lapse in judgement that shouldn’t happen”. You can’t judge a momentary lapse in judgement because it goes against the definition. You have no control of the truest form of a “momentary lapse”

It’s pretty dumb to police cheering at a sporting event. Asking fans to wait for more information before expressing their emotion makes no sense, it’s what fans do on everything leading up to instant replay or something like injuries unfortunately. Fans cheered when Tucker levelled Peca because at first.

Like saying after a hockey fight (Orr vs Carkner) where someone is the clear winner we should NEVER cheer because we don’t know if the loser has a concussion, so let’s wait a few days before celebrating. No one is going to wait, it’s a sporting event.

Last edited:

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Whether he’s 1-15 on the roster he’s absolutely right, so what does that matter?

Also, he’s coming off a torn achilles as well. He didn’t receive any offers as a FA so the Warriors checked in, and their 5m offer was better than the zero other ones he had. They allowed him to sit half the season and not be rushed back to be ‘the guy’ ... It was a very good fit.

What would you have done?

Not that I have a problem with what he did as I look fondly at a guy who takes 35M less for a chance to win. That’s just me but what you said isn’t true, he turned down more money;

Report: DeMarcus Cousins Rejected Pelicans' 2-Year, $40 Million Contract Offer

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I still think too many people are ignoring that there was a turnover and a drawn foul while KD was down. Part of the arena was still cheering the play.

And then when the play ended, he was essentially already being helped up and off the court, which is generally when you cheer and applaud the player. And the crowd gave him a standing ovation and chanted his name.

That said, there is a chunk that were 100% cheering the injury and are scummy people, no doubt.

I don’t know, I just think it was very overblown and it was outrage just to be outrage. It would have (and has) been as bad or worse in a large portion of other NBA arenas.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I still think too many people are ignoring that there was a turnover and a drawn foul while KD was down. Part of the arena was still cheering the play.

And then when the play ended, he was essentially already being helped up and off the court, which is generally when you cheer and applaud the player. And the crowd gave him a standing ovation and chanted his name.

That said, there is a chunk that were 100% cheering the injury and are scummy people, no doubt.

I don’t know, I just think it was very overblown and it was outrage just to be outrage. It would have (and has) been as bad or worse in a large portion of other NBA arenas.

You know exactly what’s up.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
It’s not really about what others think. Respect and class aren’t about whose watching or who’ll write about it.

It was the wrong thing to do and a lot of Raptors fans showed themselves to be new to the moment. Desperate for a win they cheered a potential career altering injury... It appears most caught themselves, but it was already too late.

Let's back off a little here. I am sure that 95% of those people who cheered thought KD tweaked his calf and might miss the rest of the game at the most. His reaction when it happened was quite mild. After all no one including Warriors doctors or management thought the prior injury serious enough to hold him out of the game. Even Steve Kerr said he thought there was no possibility of KD re-injuring himself.
I am sure if he had gone down in a heap and screaming in agony they crowd would not have responded the way they did.

Reactions: MsMeow

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Don’t cheer? They didn’t want to cheer, something happened and emotion set in and they cheered.

Split second, you can’t control a split second emotion. And as I said above you have no idea what they were cheering for. I was cheering for Ibaka’s steal... so irresponsible to paint a broad picture as all fans who cheered are or were classless.

“Clear momentary lapse in judgement that shouldn’t happen”. You can’t judge a momentary lapse in judgement because it goes against the definition. You have no control of the truest form of a “momentary lapse”

It’s pretty dumb to police cheering at a sporting event. Asking fans to wait for more information before expressing their emotion makes no sense, it’s what fans do on everything leading up to instant replay or something like injuries unfortunately. Fans cheered when Tucker levelled Peca because at first.

Like saying after a hockey fight (Orr vs Carkner) where someone is the clear winner we should NEVER cheer because we don’t know if the loser has a concussion, so let’s wait a few days before celebrating. No one is going to wait, it’s a sporting event.

I just have a different feeling. As soon as you see someone hurt, you ease up.

Watch the Tim and Sid video posted. They sum it up pretty nicely.

Hockey fights are completely different because they’re cheering for their guy winning the fight, not the injury.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Let's back off a little here. I am sure that 95% of those people who cheered thought KD tweaked his calf and might miss the rest of the game at the most. His reaction when it happened was quite mild. After all no one including Warriors doctors or management thought the prior injury serious enough to hold him out of the game. Even Steve Kerr said he thought there was no possibility of KD re-injuring himself.
I am sure if he had gone down in a heap and screaming in agony they crowd would not have responded the way they did.
For sure, but that’s why it’s important to just sit on your hands.

I’d bet most people that were cheering caught themselves pretty quickly. They got caught up in the moment, starved for a championship in this city and they just saw their chances get better. It’s understandable.. but hopefully some feel bad about it and won’t do that again if ever in the situation.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013

If I could like this more then once, I would.

Very well said sir.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Its wild to me that people care about fan antics.. they happen in every single city. who cares. Go to soccer games in some countries and you can die.. it can be worse.

Reactions: phillipmike

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
For sure, but that’s why it’s important to just sit on your hands.

I’d bet most people that were cheering caught themselves pretty quickly. They got caught up in the moment, starved for a championship in this city and they just saw their chances get better. It’s understandable.. but hopefully some feel bad about it and won’t do that again if ever in the situation.

Asking fans to sit on their emotion let alone in a potential deciding championship game is a little nuts. Almost reckless, fans go to cheer and be entertained. You are asking wayyy to much and being completely unreasonable when every other fan base has done something very similar, doesn’t make it right or wrong but that’s what raw emotions is/are, you can’t control it. You react and I promise if something happened in game 6 to Raptor it would be a similar outcome and if something happened to warrior in a potential game 7, you can expect the same.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

You’re not wrong.. It just seemed that the initial few limps drew a rise in cheer and it gave the vibe there was a lot of people celebrating.

It could honestly be a misunderstanding between the fans and players.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I just have a different feeling. As soon as you see someone hurt, you ease up.

Watch the Tim and Sid video posted. They sum it up pretty nicely.

Hockey fights are completely different because they’re cheering for their guy winning the fight, not the injury.

And they did, they saw him hurt and gave him a standing ovation when he walked off.

Don’t get me started on Tim and Sid. Sid speaks loudly to get hits, guy has zero credibility so what he says doesn’t hold much weight for me.

So you can definitely say fans were cheering just for Durant’s injury but every single fight in the NHL’s history you know for sure they were cheering for their guy to win and never for the injury?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad