Raptors Discussion: V84 | One More | Next game : Jun 13, 9pm ET/6pm PT | RAPTORS LEAD SERIES 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
ummmm...you mean a small piece of the raptors fan base...dont give me that [email protected] notice you decided not to mention that those cheers turned into chants of "KD" and not in a disrespectful way...there are jerks in every fan base...stop trying to vilify an entire fan base for a few drunks ctions
I said trash raps fans... not that all raptors fans are trash, chill

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
While it’s unfortunate to see what happened to KD, and the reaction probably shouldn’t have been pure bliss, the crowd didn’t know it was going to be a potentially career changer. Nor was he injured by a Raptor. Nor was he out at risk by the crowd. It’s not really that horrible.
That’s why you never cheer an injured player. It’s black and white. You can never know how serious it is... Basketball in particular has a lot of stuff inside the knees and ankles that’ll happen on seemingly routine plays.

Don’t cheer injuries. Ever.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
You really think a handful of people, many of which probably didn't even see what happened from their vantage point...were able to diagnose an Achilles injury right away and as a result, jeer Durant for it?

Like people really believe that?

In any scenario, even if that was the case...an entire country shouldn't have to bear the cross of the actions of a handful of drunken idiots.

And anyone trying to portray this as an isolated incident in a Canadian city, has never visited or been to a sporting event in Philadelphia.
No, I never said that. But that’s why you don’t cheer... You just don’t know.

You’re right, but that’s not always how popular opinions work.

It’s not isolated.. but the other major cities with similar infractions are notoriously harsh on athletes and guests... Some believed Toronto was above that stuff.

It’s not the end of the world but it’s an unfortunate storyline that’ll forever be tied to Toronto’s first trip to the finals. That sucks.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
lmao no one is going to remember this after Game 6.

Everyone thought Mark Stevens was an affront to humanity after Game 3 too.
Hopefully you’re right. There’s been a few unfortunate storylines but that I’m sure a few would like forgotten.

I’m not optimistic.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The political correctness of our society is crazy. Why can't fans be fans? We are rooting for our Raps. Of course everyone saw that KD playing again it was lights out for us. We were going to lose again. He dominated for a quarter in his first game in a month and Warriors looked like they were playing with us. So it was damn depressing. The media for most part was right. With KD playing this was men playing against boys 4 straight. So when KD went down people were like oh thank god we have a chance again. KD and rest of NBA should take it as a compliment. Too many people being too sensitive.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Man you guys care too much about what people think of Toronto, the Raps, their fans and you.

All that matters is winning, just watch the Raps win a championship. Who cares what some Americans and some of the media think of Toronto and their fans.

Last edited:

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
The political correctness of our society is crazy. Why can't fans be fans? We are rooting for our Raps. Of course everyone saw that KD playing again it was lights out for us. We were going to lose again. He dominated for a quarter in his first game in a month and Warriors looked like they were playing with us. So it was damn depressing. The media for most part was right. With KD playing this was men playing against boys 4 straight. So when KD went down people were like oh thank god we have a chance again. KD and rest of NBA should take it as a compliment. Too many people being too sensitive.
They act like he fell face first, broke his neck. and was carried out on a stretcher.. he subtly re-injured his ankle and walked off, in a game that he should never have even attempted to play in, giving the raptors an even greater chance of winning the series, of course we are going to cheer

Reactions: phillipmike

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Man you guys care too much about want people think of Toronto, the Raps, their fans and you.

All that matters is winning, just watch the Raps win a championship. Who cares what some Americans and some of the media think of Toronto and their fans.
It’s not about what people think, it’s about having class and respecting athletes as people. It sucks that it’s a storyline but I don’t think anyone is too worried about mainstream media. The sports world is where it’s disappointing because people are supposed to know better.

Heat of battle it’s all good, but injuries are a time out.

Reactions: yvrtojfk

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
They act like he fell face first, broke his neck. and was carried out on a stretcher.. he subtly re-injured his ankle and walked off, in a game that he should never have even attempted to play in, giving the raptors an even greater chance of winning the series, of course we are going to cheer
I get that. In hockey I've never cheered when a player from the other team got got injured. When Rome hit Horton in 2011, I still remember being quiet until he got was helped off the ice. It's just pretty f***ing classless thing to do. When Lowry and Ibaka have to tell fans to be quiet you know it's disrespectful and a bad taste.

Anyway here's hoping they can close it out on Thursday.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
It’s not about what people think, it’s about having class and respecting athletes as people. It sucks that it’s a storyline but I don’t think anyone is too worried about mainstream media. The sports world is where it’s disappointing because people are supposed to know better.

Heat of battle it’s all good, but injuries are a time out.

Hate to break it to you but not every fanbase is perfect. This stuff happens and happens all the time, shouldnt lose sleep over it or worry about it at all, because no matter what, there are people who will always label you and/or a group of people no matter what you do to prove otherwise. It is a futile fight.

GLobello

Dec 1, 2015
Why are we seriously getting worked up about this? One of their owners literally PUSHED and SWORE at one of our players. The Warriors, their fans, and the media making a big deal about this can F off.

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
Back in 1989, when Magic Johnson pulled his hamstring in the Finals against Detroit, Pistons fans cheered a lot louder than Raptors fans did last night.

It wasn't a big deal. It's just a normal reaction that some fans have. They deserved to be criticized, but it isn't much of a story.

The "KD" cheers more than made up for it.

We live in a 24/7 sports news cycle. Everything is blown out of proportion and sensationalized because the media is searching for content. The closest thing to a controversy is labeled a controversy whether it is or isn't.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I'm surprised by the doom and gloom from some posters here. GS brought their A game for most of the first half and T.O was far from it. Ended up losing by a basket. I can't imagine the Raps can shoot any worse than they did last night and with KD done the Raps are in no worse than they have been all series. They have 2 more kicks at the can and I think they are very capable of it.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Hate to break it to you but not every fanbase is perfect. This stuff happens and happens all the time, shouldnt lose sleep over it or worry about it at all, because no matter what, there are people who will always label you and/or a group of people no matter what you do to prove otherwise. It is a futile fight.
It’s not really about what others think. Respect and class aren’t about whose watching or who’ll write about it.

It was the wrong thing to do and a lot of Raptors fans showed themselves to be new to the moment. Desperate for a win they cheered a potential career altering injury... It appears most caught themselves, but it was already too late.

Reactions: 1specter

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
It’s not really about what others think. Respect and class aren’t about whose watching or who’ll write about it.

It was the wrong thing to do and a lot of Raptors fans showed themselves to be new to the moment. Desperate for a win they cheered a potential career altering injury... It appears most caught themselves, but it was already too late.

No one knew right there and then that it was career altering come on, give the fans some credit.

Its wasnt a prolong cheer which i why i dont question class. I cheered but i cheered because i thought Ibaka stole the ball. Then many fans cheered as soon as Durant got up which happens often in sports because fans think it is a good sign that they are able to get up after the injury (re watch the video, literally as soon as he got up the fans cheers got louder and that is when Kyle tried to hush them). There are a lot of reasons as to why fans cheer some had good reasons and others didnt - heck i would say a good portion of fans were likely band-wagoners and had no idea about Durant's injury or were even in the 300s hundreds and couldnt see it was Durant that was hurt. Its not all that productive to assume they were classless when you dont know what they were cheering about. AND EVEN if you did know it really doesnt matter, its over with and nothing to worry about.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
No one knew right there and then that it was career altering come on, give the fans some credit.

Its wasnt a prolong cheer which i why i dont question class. I cheered but i cheered because i thought Ibaka stole the ball. Then many fans cheered as soon as Durant got up which happens often in sports because fans think it is a good sign that they are able to get up after the injury (re watch the video, literally as soon as he got up the fans cheers got louder and that is when Kyle tried to hush them). There are a lot of reasons as to why fans cheer some had good reasons and others didnt - heck i would say a good portion of fans were likely band-wagoners and had no idea about Durant's injury or were even in the 300s hundreds and couldnt see it was Durant that was hurt. Its not all that productive to assume they were classless when you dont know what they were cheering about. AND EVEN if you did know it really doesnt matter, its over with and nothing to worry about.
That’s kind of why you don’t cheer, though?

I’m not saying everyone is classless, but it was a clear momentary lapse in judgment that shouldn’t happen. I’m hopeful everyone who did cheer is regretful and won’t do it again. Hopefully most show more class if ever in the same situation again.

Most are over it. It was bad, now it’s done.. I entered the discussion to quote someone who blamed the Warriors for this.

I think it had more to do with how desperate Raptors fans are for a win... it took them moment to realize what they were actually doing and that’s when they flipped to ‘KD’ chants to try and compensate for what dicks they’d just been. :laugh:

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
Toronto fans are awful. We all remember the bat flip but choose to ignore the debauchery that preceded it. Hitting babies with beer. Trying to hit Rangers players. The uniquely Torontonians inferiority complex strikes again.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
That’s why you never cheer an injured player. It’s black and white. You can never know how serious it is... Basketball in particular has a lot of stuff inside the knees and ankles that’ll happen on seemingly routine plays.

Don’t cheer injuries. Ever.
The cheering started because the fans saw Ibaka steal the ball from Durant because he slipped, which most fans would do when their team makes a play. The rest of the applauding was what everyone does after an injured player gets up on their own. They were showing respect for Durant, not being rude.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Toronto fans are awful. We all remember the bat flip but choose to ignore the debauchery that preceded it. Hitting babies with beer. Trying to hit Rangers players. The uniquely Torontonians inferiority complex strikes again.

By your logic all sporting fans are awful. Go watch an NFL game in L.A and see if your opinion changes on Toronto. Singling out one market as the antichrist is absurd.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Cousins rips media and 'trash' Toronto fans following Durant injury - Sportsnet.ca
In the meantime, DeMarcus Cousins thinks those of you who cheered the sight of his fallen teammate are – and I quote – “trash.”

“So trash,” a brooding Cousins said as he stood outside the Warriors locker-room after a 14-point, 19-plus minute evening that including a much-needed jolt to his shell-shocked teammates after Durant’s injury. “We’re all idolized as superstar athletes. We’re idolized for what we do between the lines and then once we lash out and do human type things, then we can sit back and …”

That was pointed. But not as pointed as the words Boogie had for the chattering classes who suggested Durant was somehow milking his calf injury, that his status as a free-agent might have played a part in the decision.

“F— them,” he said, tersely. “F— ‘em.”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->