Raptors Discussion: V84 | One More | Next game : Jun 13, 9pm ET/6pm PT | RAPTORS LEAD SERIES 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
How many fans were legitimately cheering the injury and not the turnover that occurred in the moment? And how many fans that were cheering for the fact that Durant was out would've been able to discern that he was just hobbled a bit and out of the game vs actually severely hurt. Not that there's a right time/way to be positive about an opponent injury, but there's a big difference between "yay, now we don't have to deal with Durant for the rest of the game" and "lol, his career is over. Hahaha, loser." type reactions.

Toronto fans are awful. We all remember the bat flip but choose to ignore the debauchery that preceded it. Hitting babies with beer. Trying to hit Rangers players. The uniquely Torontonians inferiority complex strikes again.

:laugh: I'm not even from Toronto, but if you think that this sort of behavior is unique to any city in the world, you're out to lunch. This is not an issue of Toronto sports fans specifically, this is an issue with sports fans in general, or more broadly, people in general.

A petulant baby like Cousins is probably the last person who should be taking shots at people for being "trash" or disrespectful or whatever. I also love the quote in that piece where he talks about how they (NBA players) are all idolized but then trails off into a comment about how bad it is that when they do something dumb they get called on it. I get the sense it's probably a combo of a poorly-worded thought and a badly edited quote, but it makes it sound like he doesn't think players should be criticized if they act like idiots in the heat of the moment.

Also heads up that I'm gonna lock this thread down in a little bit because we're over 1,000 posts.

So if you've got something to say, say it now. I'll start a fresh thread in about 40 minutes (9:30pm ET) just to give everyone time to wrap up any immediate discussion.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Asking fans to sit on their emotion let alone in a potential deciding championship game is a little nuts. Almost reckless, fans go to cheer and be entertained. You are asking wayyy to much and being completely unreasonable when every other fan base has done something very similar, doesn’t make it right or wrong but that’s what raw emotions is/are, you can’t control it. You react and I promise if something happened in game 6 to Raptor it would be a similar outcome and if something happened to warrior in a potential game 7, you can expect the same.
I never said sit on emotion, I said hold up at an injury.

I’m not blaming any fan base. I’m just pointing out how stuff like this can bring out the worst in some people.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Am I an puke for "cheering inside" while watching the game at home? That was my first reaction and that of many people I've talked too.
At the same time, cheering vocally while you're at the game does take it to another level.

I also think it's important to state why I and many others cheered. It is 100% not because I wish injury on any player. That's the most scummy thing in sports.

I cheered in my head, because to that point we were getting shelled. We were well on route to a drubbing. Durant out signaled new life and at the very least, a chance to come back and win the game.
I cheered not because he was hurt, but because it gave my team new life and a much better chance at the game and series.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
And they did, they saw him hurt and gave him a standing ovation when he walked off.

Don’t get me started on Tim and Sid. Sid speaks loudly to get hits, guy has zero credibility so what he says doesn’t hold much weight for me.

So you can definitely say fans were cheering just for Durant’s injury but every single fight in the NHL’s history you know for sure they were cheering for their guy to win and never for the injury?
I guess you just hope people will ease off when they see an athlete injured. You’re right, nobody knew how bad but that’s kind of why you just shouldn’t.

I’m not a fan of Tim and Sid either, but they cover it pretty well here IMO.

No, I don’t. There been other instances of people cheering injuries and I think all are bad. It’s impossible to tell what percentage of fans cheer for what, I just hate hearing any number of them cheer for an injured athlete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad