Raptors Discussion: v78| It's playoff time | Rd 1 vs ORL | Gm3: Fri 4/19 7pm ET/4pm PT | SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plat87

Nov 22, 2018
Rockets dominated the Raptors, they need to play better plain and simple. They got crushed at home by an elite team that figures to be in the WCF, no excuses....on to the next.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Love posts like this, you were probably applauding the move, a couple of bad games and the bashing comes out.
I wasn’t applauding or criticizing the move. I wanted to wait and see what he had left. I took the same approach towards Gasol too. In Lin’s case, it doesn’t look like much. The issue isn’t just his poor shooting. It’s his lack of quickness when he tries to dribble into traffic. He isn’t good enough to get by anyone and that’s leading to a lot of turnovers. I think the effort is there from him, just not the ability to execute plays, so I don’t think we’re looking at just a couple bad games.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
How many men will the Raps use in the playoffs, assuming everyone is healthy? 9? Who would come off the bench? Gasol/Ibaka, Fred, OG. Would McCaw make the playoff rotation? Would Lin? Would Powell? Still a few games left to sort things out.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
How many men will the Raps use in the playoffs, assuming everyone is healthy? 9? Who would come off the bench? Gasol/Ibaka, Fred, OG. Would McCaw make the playoff rotation? Would Lin? Would Powell? Still a few games left to sort things out.

I envision that the rotation wouldn't be set in stone.

You'd have Lowry, Green, Kawhi, Siakam, Ibaka/Gasol at the top, then Gasol/Ibaka, VanVleet, OG, as the sure things off the bench. I don't imagine a place for McCaw. And Lin or Powell will depend entirely on how well they acquit themselves down the stretch. You'd have to imagine that in an ideal world they both get some run, especially Lin, but he needs to pick up his game and stop sucking.

I see the top 75-80% of a rotation, then the last couple of spots being fluid based on riding the hot hand and/or who off the bench offers the best matchups vs whichever team the Raptors are playing.

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
Delon asked to be moved to have the chance at having starter minutes. He wasn’t re-signing one way or another.
yea that's fair just stung juxtaposed with the atrocious performance of our bench last night especially Lin/Gasol. FVV come back please

Reactions: Emerica

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
yea that's fair just stung juxtaposed with the atrocious performance of our bench last night especially Lin/Gasol. FVV come back please

The unfortunate thing is that Delon was part of the problem this season while he was still a Raptor. I clung to hope with him as long as I could, but his 3pt shooting was in the tank, his regular FG% was on the low side of his career norms, and none of his other stats were taking a step forward. And he was doing it with a usage rate he hadn't seen since his rookie year. It's good if he's doing better with Memphis (though honestly the stat lines don't show it so far. His shooting is worse from deep and the only thing he's doing better is defensive rebounding), but he wasn't helping the Raptors with their problems while he was here and I don't suspect he would be doing it now if he still was. The team basically has to hope that Lin gets his shooting out of the dumpster at this point.

by most advanced metrics (PER, Win Shares, BPM, VORP) this might have been his worst season as a Raptor. Or at the very least it wasn't a marked improvement on what he was as a rookie and was a downgrade from what he was last year.

I was going to comment on this on the Athletic piece about Houston dismantling the Raptors bench and that showing the problem, but the reality is that the Bench Mob was basically the result of a bunch of guys posting career-best years and then either getting rewarded for it with a promotion (Siakam) or reverting back to what they were beforehand (Wright, VanVleet) or worse (Miles) or with no track record to baseline from (Anunoby). Or getting traded (Poeltl) or shuffled around (the starting 5 merry-go-round of Ibaka/Valanciunas/Gasol which prevents any sort of chemistry or understanding from being built) It was a perfect storm of factors that all came together at the right time, and now we're seeing what happens when all the cogs and gears don't line up flawlessly.

Reactions: BorntoLose

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The unfortunate thing is that Delon was part of the problem this season while he was still a Raptor. I clung to hope with him as long as I could, but his 3pt shooting was in the tank, his regular FG% was on the low side of his career norms, and none of his other stats were taking a step forward. And he was doing it with a usage rate he hadn't seen since his rookie year. It's good if he's doing better with Memphis (though honestly the stat lines don't show it so far. His shooting is worse from deep and the only thing he's doing better is defensive rebounding), but he wasn't helping the Raptors with their problems while he was here and I don't suspect he would be doing it now if he still was. The team basically has to hope that Lin gets his shooting out of the dumpster at this point.

by most advanced metrics (PER, Win Shares, BPM, VORP) this might have been his worst season as a Raptor. Or at the very least it wasn't a marked improvement on what he was as a rookie and was a downgrade from what he was last year.

I was going to comment on this on the Athletic piece about Houston dismantling the Raptors bench and that showing the problem, but the reality is that the Bench Mob was basically the result of a bunch of guys posting career-best years and then either getting rewarded for it with a promotion (Siakam) or reverting back to what they were beforehand (Wright, VanVleet) or worse (Miles) or with no track record to baseline from (Anunoby). Or getting traded (Poeltl) or shuffled around (the starting 5 merry-go-round of Ibaka/Valanciunas/Gasol which prevents any sort of chemistry or understanding from being built) It was a perfect storm of factors that all came together at the right time, and now we're seeing what happens when all the cogs and gears don't line up flawlessly.

OG is a really good piece. He just needs to take example from Siakam. There is no doubt that OG can be an excellent player in this league. He has the tools.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
OG is a really good piece. He just needs to take example from Siakam. There is no doubt that OG can be an excellent player in this league. He has the tools.

From the most recent episode on Open Gym (interview at AS weekend) you can tell he isn't satisfied with his game thus far and knows he can take it to another level.

Ball4Lyfe

Jun 18, 2010
Hi all, don't know if this is the right place for this but I have 2 single tickets, one behind another for the last game of the year vs Heat for sale, Sec 305 Row 3/4, Seat 7. $275 for both, saves some of the TM fees...e-transfer or paypal are good. Let me know if there's anyone interested.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think it's fun tracking who we will be facing in the 1st round. Brooklyn right now is in 7th, but take a look at their schedule. It's f***ing brutal. I don't think they will be able to hang on. I think Detroit will probably hang on to 6th. So 7th place will probably come down to Hornets, Heat or Magic. I think we'll face one of these 3 teams, unless Brooklyn survives this schedule. Not that it matters, Raps will beat any of those teams, but I think it's just fun keeping track. At least for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad