Raptors Discussion: v75| Season of Kawhi Part 1: Greatest expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I love Lowry, and I agree that he's arguably better than Butler offensively. But Butler is also elite defensively while Lowry has slipped a bit. And, to boot, we have better depth at PG than at SG, so he's probably a better fit.

If we look at RPM:

2017-18

Butler (28): 3.61orpm, 2.78drpm
Lowry (31): 4.15orpm, 1.03drpm

2016-17

Butler (27): 4.82orpm, 1.80drpm
Lowry (30): 4.70orpm, 1.18drpm

2015-16

Butler (26): 3.12orpm, 0.89drpm
Lowry (29): 5.12orpm, 1.70drpm

2014-15

Butler (25): 3.87orpm, 0.43drpm
Lowry (28): 2.58orpm, 1.25drpm

2013-14

Butler (24): 0.90rpm, 1.23drpm
Lowry (27): 3.84orpm, 0.41drpm

I don’t know. Their defensive FG% rates have a negligible difference and Lowry’s perimeter defence and ability to move someone off the line is kinda better (according to NBA.com’s tracker, idk other reports). Butler is elite at deflecting passes and really good at recovering loose balls (Lowry’s up there too), but Lowry is arguably the best in the league at drawing charges and is one of the better guards when it comes to screen assists.

I’m just not one that thinks the Raps are a better team if the one for one swap is made. Especially in the locker room. If Butler comes here, I need Lowry to be here to not let things get out of hand.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Kyle looks happy.
Remember when people thought Kyle was upset evident from the interview from months before? Kyle was just being Kyle.
In the end, he just wants to win.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
3 reporters asked the same question.
Has your view changed about the organization?
Kyle handled them well.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I don’t know. Their defensive FG% rates have a negligible difference and Lowry’s perimeter defence and ability to move someone off the line is kinda better (according to NBA.com’s tracker, idk other reports). Butler is elite at deflecting passes and really good at recovering loose balls (Lowry’s up there too), but Lowry is arguably the best in the league at drawing charges and is one of the better guards when it comes to screen assists.

I’m just not one that thinks the Raps are a better team if the one for one swap is made. Especially in the locker room. If Butler comes here, I need Lowry to be here to not let things get out of hand.

it's close. they're both great. I do think Jimmy is just a tick better right now, and with another year of aging the gap will likely increase a bit. And I also think it's a better fit with our roster.

that being said, Lowry-Butler-Kawhi would be unreal, and could go toe to toe with the warriors.

Reactions: Morgs and Eyedea

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I still can't believe someone of Kawhi's caliber is wearing a Raptor jersey.

Even if it's just for a year, he's got MY full support. This year is going to be very fun.

And don't get me started on Danny Green!

"Hercules! Hercules! Hercules!"

Reactions: dangomon

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I still can't believe someone of Kawhi's caliber is wearing a Raptor jersey.

Even if it's just for a year, he's got MY full support. This year is going to be very fun.

And don't get me started on Danny Green!

"Hercules! Hercules! Hercules!"

Toronto vs. Boston is going to be a great rivalry this season.

Reactions: al secord

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
LeBron having his press conference in LA today after not being seen there all summer.

Clearly he doesn't want to stayou there and is just biding his time until he can flee. :sarcasm:

Reactions: al secord

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Raps wouldn't be able to sign Kyrie unless they got out of a bunch of contracts. Lowry for Butler also doesn't really improve the Raps chances, they need both.

The only viable assets I could see leaving the Raps in a Butler deal is Wright or a future 1st (lotto protected).

Well yeah, that seems like common sense. Luckily the NBA is a league where you are lucky to not be moved during an off-season :laugh: We'd have to dump Serge Ibaka, and we could probably use FVF as a piece to lure a team to take that (as well as picks obviously). Lowry/Butler is roughly a wash salary wise anyway. So you're looking for the extra roughly 10M to sign Kawhi to his deal, and then the room to sign Kyrie (might need to be a sign and trade as well :/ )

Main point is, one of the theories is that Kawhi/Butler/Kyrie want to play together, and if that is the case, there's no reason why Toronto can't be the city, especially since we acquired Kawhi, and appear to be in on Butler.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Well yeah, that seems like common sense. Luckily the NBA is a league where you are lucky to not be moved during an off-season :laugh: We'd have to dump Serge Ibaka, and we could probably use FVF as a piece to lure a team to take that (as well as picks obviously). Lowry/Butler is roughly a wash salary wise anyway. So you're looking for the extra roughly 10M to sign Kawhi to his deal, and then the room to sign Kyrie (might need to be a sign and trade as well :/ )

Main point is, one of the theories is that Kawhi/Butler/Kyrie want to play together, and if that is the case, there's no reason why Toronto can't be the city, especially since we acquired Kawhi, and appear to be in on Butler.

Moving Ibaka + FVV without taking on any salary still has them...above the salary cap lol. It’s nice in theory but Masai has to move mountains to get it all to work out with the cap. S&T would likely be a must, and then you get into a match with a division rival over value.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Moving Ibaka + FVV without taking on any salary still has them...above the salary cap lol. It’s nice in theory but Masai has to move mountains to get it all to work out with the cap. S&T would likely be a must, and then you get into a match with a division rival over value.

Could be that I'm not 100% sure on how the NBA CBA works. Do we need the full say 30M under the soft cap in order to sign Kyrie? Or say the soft cap next year is 107M (based on nothing, just an example) would we need to get to say, 105M, and then obviously we'd be into the Luxury Cap again.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Could be that I'm not 100% sure on how the NBA CBA works. Do we need the full say 30M under the soft cap in order to sign Kyrie? Or say the soft cap next year is 107M (based on nothing, just an example) would we need to get to say, 105M, and then obviously we'd be into the Luxury Cap again.

We need the entirety of his contract to fit under the soft cap. Only way to go over the cap is when you’re signing players using exceptions, or you control their bird rights.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I'm calling it - it's actually going to be TOR and PHI battling it out for top spot, not Boston.
I actually agree with this. Another year of development for Simmons and Markelle along with Embiid being a beast. They probably have the closest thing to a big three in the conference.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
We need the entirety of his contract to fit under the soft cap. Only way to go over the cap is when you’re signing players using exceptions, or you control their bird rights.

But if Kyrie wanted to sign here, we could approach Boston about a sign/trade, so they use bird rights or exceptions, etc, and we would obviously have to compensate them on whatever they value those exceptions/rights at, correct?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
"We have to show Kawhi that he's wanted here and can be happy and enjoy himself to make him want to stay."

*5 minutes later*

"OMG LOOK AT HOW SILLY HIS LAUGH IS! THIS IS TOTALLY A MEME NOW!"

:laugh:

Reactions: FishManSam

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Alternate silly take for some people who like controversy (*cough*Simmons*cough*)

KawhiJersey.JPG

Kawhi doesn't tuck in his jersey like he's supposed to. Clearly he's not professional and can't be counted on.

:sarcasm:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Danny Green seems pumped to be here, which is awesome. It'd be nice to work out some sort of extension with him and then he'd probably be in Kawhi's ear like crazy :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad