Raptors Discussion: v75| Season of Kawhi Part 1: Greatest expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
They can demand all they want. Its another dysfunctional situation, with a star who will be elsewhere come the end of the season (aka "pre-agency"). I'd call and offer Danny Green's expiring, Norm and Delon in a middle finger, start you off in good faith offer.

I wouldn't even offer them Delon. And Green can't be traded again until September unless he's traded on his own.

Norm, Miles (assuming he wouldn't exercise his player option next season), 1st.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
and Kawhi was absolutely torching them.

I disagree.

Leonard cost them games 2, 5, and 6 in that series.

Game 2: 1/4 in the 4th quarter
Game 5: 0/5 in the 4th quarter
Game 6: 3/9 in the first half (the game was over right there)

He put up empty stats and couldn't stop Durant minus game 1.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
I disagree.

Leonard cost them games 2, 5, and 6 in that series.

Game 2: 1/4 in the 4th quarter
Game 5: 0/5 in the 4th quarter
Game 6: 3/9 in the first half (the game was over right there)

He put up empty stats and couldn't stop Durant minus game 1.

4th q, 4th q, then 1st half. cherry picking stats ftw.

Reactions: Critical91

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Jeff is salty

Maybe Jeff should take a step back. Maybe Kawhi was asking a more philosophical question. Maybe "Who is Jeff" was meant as "What sort of person does Jeff envision himself as? What are his hopes and dreams? How does he quantify his place in the universe? Does he ask questions because it is expected of him or because he has a tireless thirst for knowledge?"

Did Jeff ever consider that?

:sarcasm:

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
So we are cherry picking Kawhi's rough moments. But where are his stats when he literally carried the San Antonio Spurs to a championship against low and behold Mr. Lebron??? When he won the MVP in the playoffs.

You seriously are going to cherry pick stats that came against arguably the best team ever in the NBA the GSW???

How about we cherry pick on our beloved DD who he was traded for? That never has shown up in the playoffs!!!

Benched? Shooting 32% from the floor in 2015-16 Playoffs in first 2 rounds? Disappears continuously in must win games!!! You want to talk about defense? Your comparing Kawhi guarding Durant to DD guarding whom? And DD always was crap at D regardless of whom he guarded. Even when he was sheltered and given help, he crumbled.

I understand your love for DD, I too appreciate everything he has given to the Raps over the years. But to bash Kawhi only because he is what we have in DD's place? Sorry if your going to state facts, state them all....yes don't cherry pick ones that only support your argument.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Kawhi Leonard is just sick. I am not a basketball fan all that much, but I love GREAT athleticism. This Leonard, even if we just get him for one year, is a rich mans Vince Carter.

Just a great player to watch. Seems like a pretty cool guy to.

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
So we are cherry picking Kawhi's rough moments. But where are his stats when he literally carried the San Antonio Spurs to a championship against low and behold Mr. Lebron??? When he won the MVP in the playoffs.

You seriously are going to cherry pick stats that came against arguably the best team ever in the NBA the GSW???

How about we cherry pick on our beloved DD who he was traded for? That never has shown up in the playoffs!!!

Benched? Shooting 32% from the floor in 2015-16 Playoffs in first 2 rounds? Disappears continuously in must win games!!! You want to talk about defense? Your comparing Kawhi guarding Durant to DD guarding whom? And DD always was crap at D regardless of whom he guarded. Even when he was sheltered and given help, he crumbled.

I understand your love for DD, I too appreciate everything he has given to the Raps over the years. But to bash Kawhi only because he is what we have in DD's place? Sorry if your going to state facts, state them all....yes don't cherry pick ones that only support your argument.

Weren't you shitting on Kawhi just last week? :laugh:

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Weren't you ****ting on Kawhi just last week? :laugh:

Wasn't exactly cutting him up, I wasn't as educated on the player as I am now thanks to all of you and what I have been reading. I also was a proponent of keeping DD in any deal for Kawhi. I wanted to see the 3 headed monster together.

But your right I wasn't on board initially, but am now.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Wasn't exactly cutting him up, I wasn't as educated on the player as I am now thanks to all of you and what I have been reading. I also was a proponent of keeping DD in any deal for Kawhi. I wanted to see the 3 headed monster together.

But your right I wasn't on board initially, but am now.

So you listened, did some research on your own and this led you to adjust your original opinion?

This is rare, I'm impressed. :thumbu::thumbu:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Last 3yrs

PER

1.Curry 28.1
2.LeBron 27.8
3.Westbrook 27.6
4.Davis 27.3
5.Durant 27.3
6.Harden 27.3
7.Leonard 26.8

these are the 7 clear best stats stuffers in the league. all within 1.3per over the last 3 years.

the next highest is Chris Paul, but he's a good 2.1per behind Leonard in 7th, making Leonard the logical cutoff.

Leonard is also the best defensive player on this list, and probably in the league.

I would lean towards calling durant, westbrook, and harden the weakest defensive players on that list.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Is there someone you think should be excluded from the list/included to the list?

Based on eye test, raw stats and advanced stats all taken into consideration, that's how I see it

My main point is that ordering these 6 guys (assuming you can get a consensus that these are indeed the top 6 guys) is really difficult, ask 5 knowledgeable fans and I'd say the odds are slim of 2 out of 5 putting these 6 guys in the exact same same order.

It also depends on how you're ranking players, how do you define "top" 6? Is it best up to this point in their career, best based on just last season, best going forward, best for next season only, those are just a few possibilities. There are some other notable players, Zeke already mentioned Westbrook and if we're talking about best for next season then Giannis might be in the mix.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I'm not sure if you are being deliberately obtuse, or if you just don't know what cherry picking means.

I was comparing Durant vs Leonard in head-to-head matchups.

That's all.

How else am I supposed to do that without looking at key moments in their 2016 series? Leonard didn't show up in that series and put up empty stats which is why I broke down his performance.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Last 3yrs

PER

1.Curry 28.1
2.LeBron 27.8
3.Westbrook 27.6
4.Davis 27.3
5.Durant 27.3
6.Harden 27.3
7.Leonard 26.8

these are the 7 clear best stats stuffers in the league. all within 1.3per over the last 3 years.

the next highest is Chris Paul, but he's a good 2.1per behind Leonard in 7th, making Leonard the logical cutoff.

Leonard is also the best defensive player on this list, and probably in the league.

I would lean towards calling durant, westbrook, and harden the weakest defensive players on that list.

Westbrook is not on the same level as the other 6

His offensive efficiency has been average to below average in the regular season and further exposed in the playoffs

Great players can make bad teams good and good teams great. Westbrook can only accomplish one of those.

Durant is one of the best defenders in the league. Curry is my favorite player in the league but he doesn't remotely come close to KD defensively

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

Those stats were from the OKC vs SA series.

Leonard is the 3rd best player in the game behind Lebron and Durant. That's the only point I was making and the goal was never to bring Kawhi down. He's miles better than DD and there's no comparison to be made in that regard.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
My main point is that ordering these 6 guys (assuming you can get a consensus that these are indeed the top 6 guys) is really difficult, ask 5 knowledgeable fans and I'd say the odds are slim of 2 out of 5 putting these 6 guys in the exact same same order.

It also depends on how you're ranking players, how do you define "top" 6? Is it best up to this point in their career, best based on just last season, best going forward, best for next season only, those are just a few possibilities. There are some other notable players, Zeke already mentioned Westbrook and if we're talking about best for next season then Giannis might be in the mix.

There's not much of an argument for Westbrook or Giannis to be on that list
If there is, I'd like to hear it

How do I define top 6? The 6 best players in the NBA right now

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
People seem to randomly jump into threads without knowing what's being discussed.

1) I don't hate Kawhi (I wish he re-signs long-term)
2) Lebron and Durant are better (that's the only opinion I was defending)
3) DD is a playoff choker (sucks but it's true) and I would never put him over Kawhi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad