Raptors Discussion: v66 | Draft: Thursday @ 7pm ET/ 4pm PT (Raptors pick 9th via Bargnani, 27th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Here's what I think is a realistic plan for the Raptors. Expect a long post.

Sign Demar for a little less then max, but give him the extra year that we can give him. Explain to him we need him to take less, just like Kyle did, to make a team here and build to get past that one final hurdle. We're so close, why leave and lose out on a chance to actually make it to the Finals? If you make it to the Finals, anything is possible. As much as Derozan sucked in the playoffs, we have the familiarity with him, and we need a guy who can drive to the basket. I'll get more to the Demar situation a little later.

Next up would be the draft. On draft night, I think we keep the pick at 9. Grab a SG / SF, some one with good size, a bit raw, but nothing too risky. Take a good scorer, who is similar to Demar's game with hopefully some better defensive qualities. Some one who's a better shooter and maybe not as athletic. This guy can be molded into your Derozan clone, who can drive to the basket and develop into some one you can replace Demar with later on down the road. Demar will look good later on down the road because when he signs for less then max here, he looks more valuable the more the cap goes up.

The 2nd thing we do at the draft, is I don't think we use our pick in the later round. Masai would want to take a project, and right now we have the window in the East, IMO, to not need the project but use the 24th and package it with T-Ross to get his cap off the books, and move him out. I'm not sure what kind of player you can get for him, but I think adding the 24th will help get his value up to the point where you can get some one who can contribute a lot more then T-Ross did off the bench and defensively.

I think Biz walks at the end of the year, which sucks. You can't replace an interior defender like him, but on the other side, I think J Val remains healthy next playoffs, knock on wood, and we play him more minutes as long as he's not in foul trouble. That means you fill out in free agency with just a guy who's a rim protector. Nothing special.

I think then with the cap used from T-Ross deal, hopefully, we have enough to make a plunge for a better PF. This will give us a better starter then Scola, and lets P Pat come off the bench, and I think that instantly makes us better.

We got to the 2nd best team in the East this season. Our core is in place, and at a decent age, this is the time to put some eggs in the basket and see what we can do. We're so close. What a season by the team. Can't complain about a thing but the refs. But anyone who watches the game can tell its not a surprise. It is what it is. And we'll need to play through it.

We got utterly humilated 4 games by the Cavs. The only games we won were when the Cavs were laying bricks. Lebron himself basically said they weren't sweating the Raps.

So how in that scenario you laid out do we surpass Cleveland? Other teams in the East ate getting stronger or will be healthier next year. It won't be long till Boston is the class of the division. This team is going to wind up in the 7th to 10th spot in the East within 2 years unless we drastically shake things up.

Koto

May 3, 2011
I don't think you understand the term star.

nah i agree with him, i think JV has star potential, his usage as been abysmal...we saw in the first two rounds how dominant he can be if hes given the ball...even against a beast like whiteside.

i could see him being a low end all star if he get touches to put up the numbers.

Koto

May 3, 2011
We got utterly humilated 4 games by the Cavs. The only games we won were when the Cavs were laying bricks. Lebron himself basically said they weren't sweating the Raps.

So how in that scenario you laid out do we surpass Cleveland? Other teams in the East ate getting stronger or will be healthier next year. It won't be long till Boston is the class of the division. This team is going to wind up in the 7th to 10th spot in the East within 2 years unless we drastically shake things up.

drastically shake things up and you might be 7-10 next year.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
nah i agree with him, i think JV has star potential, his usage as been abysmal...we saw in the first two rounds how dominant he can be if hes given the ball...even against a beast like whiteside.

i could see him being a low end all star if he get touches to put up the numbers.

He didn't pay a whole series against any legit 5s. Whiteside went down and Indiana had nobody.

And even with him, we still got SPANKED by Cleveland on our own floor. I like the dude, but he's not a star that will lead a team to the Finals much less a championship.

It's sad how this city is happy with being slightly above average.

Koto

May 3, 2011
thoughts on our chances/fit of horford, gasol, jefferson, anderson?

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Makes me wonder how good we'd be if we had Bosh still with this lineup. I think we could've beat that Cavs team with Bosh here.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
drastically shake things up and you might be 7-10 next year.

We're headed there anyway. Unless we can sign a guy like Wiggins down the line, this team has no shot. It may sound crazy, but best bet is to bow it up and hope to draft a real star one day.

Remember Masai initially wanted to blow this thing up, but the Lowry trade was nixed. He knew then the team was average. He got hoodwinked by being a garbage fire of a division and now with the sweetheart road to the confrrence finals.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
27 PER was top 6 in the playoffs. Forgetting advanced stats, you could see how much he dominated just by the eye test. His interior defense was great too.

He would dominate a high school team, doesn't make him elite.

Koto

May 3, 2011
He didn't pay a whole series against any legit 5s. Whiteside went down and Indiana had nobody.

And even with him, we still got SPANKED by Cleveland on our own floor. I like the dude, but he's not a star that will lead a team to the Finals much less a championship.

It's sad how this city is happy with being slightly above average.

whiteside went down in the same game as jv....indiana had mahinmi, maybe you think thats a nobody compared to JV thats kind of the idea of being a great player

top 4 out 30 is a lot more than "slightly" above average

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
who other than melo to the knicks was traded for solely because the player wanted the super max. thats the only time i can remember a team giving up something significant for a pending UFA...and that worked out terribly for both the team and the player (well maybe for his bank account)

like i think the heat gave us something for bosh...but nothing near 2oa

Did you not read where I said they won't?

I said they'll give us back something, but it's not going to be 2nd overall.

So we're just going to go from 2nd overall and Eastern Conference champs to 7th or 10th? Where's this regression coming from? JV hurt all season again? Carroll hurt all season again?

You add in a good starting PF, and you bring some one off the bench better then T-Ross, and we're better then this years team.

We won those 2 games in Toronto because of our defense, not because of Cleveland shooting bricks.

OKC has proven if you play good defense, good teams can shoot bad.

We were careless with the ball as well, but again, you're adding two key pieces next season. Depth is the only way we're going to win because we're not getting an NBA superstar better then Lowry or Derozan any time soon. Be realistic.

Unless Durant is coming here, keep dreaming.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Twiggy wouldn't have been a factor against Lebron and co

Put your hate for the guy because he left as a FA aside and think about it. Who would the Cavs have to defend Bosh? Love? James? Put James on him then Lowry would do what he does. Free up space for Demar and Lowry to drive the basket since Bosh has 3 point range. Could help JV and Bis defend contest shots in the paint too because JV and Bis didn't have much help from anyone else because we're a short team other than JV.

Koto

May 3, 2011
We're headed there anyway. Unless we can sign a guy like Wiggins down the line, this team has no shot. It may sound crazy, but best bet is to bow it up and hope to draft a real star one day.

Remember Masai initially wanted to blow this thing up, but the Lowry trade was nixed. He knew then the team was average. He got hoodwinked by being a garbage fire of a division and now with the sweetheart road to the confrrence finals.

so you want to be the 76ers?

He would dominate a high school team, doesn't make him elite.

now it just seems like you are trolling

]

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008

Wiggins has shown that he can be a dependable scorer, nothing else. Of course you're enticed by his draft position.

Zach Lavine has shown more potential.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Love how we make the ECF and people still think we need a major shake up.

Cleveland was playing some unbelievable ball. They're not guarantee'd to always shoot that well.

We're a few pieces away and people still want to shake stuff up.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Did you not read where I said they won't?

I said they'll give us back something, but it's not going to be 2nd overall.

So we're just going to go from 2nd overall and Eastern Conference champs to 7th or 10th? Where's this regression coming from? JV hurt all season again? Carroll hurt all season again?

You add in a good starting PF, and you bring some one off the bench better then T-Ross, and we're better then this years team.

We won those 2 games in Toronto because of our defense, not because of Cleveland shooting bricks.

OKC has proven if you play good defense, good teams can shoot bad.

We were careless with the ball as well, but again, you're adding two key pieces next season. Depth is the only way we're going to win because we're not getting an NBA superstar better then Lowry or Derozan any time soon. Be realistic.

Unless Durant is coming here, keep dreaming.

I'm not dreaming. In the playoffs you don't go 10 deep. So adding a couple more depth guys won't help us beat the Cavs. The Cavs have three players better than our best player. That's the difference.

And this is the East. The East is junk. If we had to play West teams every night we would likely be below 500.

Just watch what happens to this team in the coming years. Fools gold.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Put your hate for the guy because he left as a FA aside and think about it. Who would the Cavs have to defend Bosh? Love? James? Put James on him then Lowry would do what he does. Free up space for Demar and Lowry to drive the basket since Bosh has 3 point range. Could help JV and Bis defend contest shots in the paint too because JV and Bis didn't have much help from anyone else because we're a short team other than JV.

I don't hate him for leaving. Where did I say that?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
so you want to be the 76ers?

now it just seems like you are trolling

]

The 6ers are taking the right approach. It may not work because if there isn't an elite star available in those years then you're screwed.

I'm just saying this season is not all is cracked up to be. We're not a top 4 team in the league and we're not headed towards beating the Cavs one day.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
I'm not dreaming. In the playoffs you don't go 10 deep. So adding a couple more depth guys won't help us beat the Cavs. The Cavs have three players better than our best player. That's the difference.

And this is the East. The East is junk. If we had to play West teams every night we would likely be below 500.

Just watch what happens to this team in the coming years. Fools gold.

We were 17-13 this season. And I'm pretty sure did even better against the West last season.

One of those "depth guys" is a starting PF. Which isn't a depth guy. We have 3 good players, Jonas when healthy is better then Love. And if you have better pieces it makes up for them being worse, because there are 5 guys on the court, not 3.

And don't forget, when foul calls are actually made fairly, teams getting into foul trouble is a thing which is where depth comes into play.

We've seen teams of depth beat teams of superstars before, so I'm not sure what your premise is on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad