Raptors Discussion: v66 | Draft: Thursday @ 7pm ET/ 4pm PT (Raptors pick 9th via Bargnani, 27th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneGreatzky

Nov 26, 2014
Edmonton
Sad result, but hats off to the Raptors on a great run and a tremendous season :handclap:

Toronto teams seem to be turning things around...

2015 Jays
2016 Raptors
2017 ???

Maybe the Leafs are next?

Good luck next season boys :yo:

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
Whats worse is management will make decisions based on this "run" selling that "we can still grow from here".

Our management is actually a bright spot in this franchise for once.

Do you not trust a GM who managed to get a top 9 pick for Primo and Powell + 1st for Vasquez? Smart trades and drafting aren't a problem. We need to worry about player development now.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
hahaha that vid of Drake was funny. He has a hard on for Lebron. Didn't he say he wants Cleveland to win the champs? or maybe that was someone else

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Our management is actually a bright spot in this franchise for once.

Do you not trust a GM who managed to get a top 9 pick for Primo and Powell + 1st for Vasquez? Smart trades and drafting aren't a problem. We need to worry about player development now.

You need stars to win in the NBA. We have none and we have none on the horizon. We're going to pay max dollars for DD which will cripple us.

A 9th pick is unlikely to make a huge difference. Maybe we'll get lucky and find a gem, but I wouldnt hold my breath

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Too soon for off season trades lineups and draft talk?

Demar and Biz are the obvious questions. We're looking at 40 million to keep both of them.

Masai is going to have to get creative this off season if we are to improve.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Too soon for off season trades lineups and draft talk?

This is what I came into this thread for :laugh:. I don't know much about basketball but I don't think we should re-sign DD for max. Is a S&T possible?

I'd love to hear what the hardcore fans ideas are for the off season.

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
Demar and Biz are the obvious questions. We're looking at 40 million to keep both of them.

Masai is going to have to get creative this off season if we are to improve.

We're in a big pickle.

1) Keep DD, no cap space. Have to hit a home run at the draft to get that impact PF. Or hope someone signs for the MLE.
2) Let DD leave, will open up about $18 million. Won't be enough to acquire a top flight free agent, but a Ryan Anderson type player. :laugh:
3) Either way, signing Biz will be impossible unless he opts into his $3 million PO.

This is assuming Masai doesn't find any suitors for Ross' contract.

Koto

May 3, 2011
i like bis but have no interest paying him 15+, good luck to him, whos out there that can give us something at the 4?

replacing scola is the biggest thing to do this offseason

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Throw max at Durant and see what happens.

All problems solved.

If not, I would say keep Demar although I dislike the idea of having him the #1 guy (or even Lowry). But he will probably sign elsewhere anyways.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Here's what I think is a realistic plan for the Raptors. Expect a long post.

Sign Demar for a little less then max, but give him the extra year that we can give him. Explain to him we need him to take less, just like Kyle did, to make a team here and build to get past that one final hurdle. We're so close, why leave and lose out on a chance to actually make it to the Finals? If you make it to the Finals, anything is possible. As much as Derozan sucked in the playoffs, we have the familiarity with him, and we need a guy who can drive to the basket. I'll get more to the Demar situation a little later.

Next up would be the draft. On draft night, I think we keep the pick at 9. Grab a SG / SF, some one with good size, a bit raw, but nothing too risky. Take a good scorer, who is similar to Demar's game with hopefully some better defensive qualities. Some one who's a better shooter and maybe not as athletic. This guy can be molded into your Derozan clone, who can drive to the basket and develop into some one you can replace Demar with later on down the road. Demar will look good later on down the road because when he signs for less then max here, he looks more valuable the more the cap goes up.

The 2nd thing we do at the draft, is I don't think we use our pick in the later round. Masai would want to take a project, and right now we have the window in the East, IMO, to not need the project but use the 24th and package it with T-Ross to get his cap off the books, and move him out. I'm not sure what kind of player you can get for him, but I think adding the 24th will help get his value up to the point where you can get some one who can contribute a lot more then T-Ross did off the bench and defensively.

I think Biz walks at the end of the year, which sucks. You can't replace an interior defender like him, but on the other side, I think J Val remains healthy next playoffs, knock on wood, and we play him more minutes as long as he's not in foul trouble. That means you fill out in free agency with just a guy who's a rim protector. Nothing special.

I think then with the cap used from T-Ross deal, hopefully, we have enough to make a plunge for a better PF. This will give us a better starter then Scola, and lets P Pat come off the bench, and I think that instantly makes us better.

We got to the 2nd best team in the East this season. Our core is in place, and at a decent age, this is the time to put some eggs in the basket and see what we can do. We're so close. What a season by the team. Can't complain about a thing but the refs. But anyone who watches the game can tell its not a surprise. It is what it is. And we'll need to play through it.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
well hes a FA so they dont have to...but i doubt they would anyway

They won't.

But in the NBA its different, the team who owns their rights like we do, can offer the extra year. Teams often pay up to give the player the extra year because the team who has him usually will match.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We're in a big pickle.

1) Keep DD, no cap space. Have to hit a home run at the draft to get that impact PF. Or hope someone signs for the MLE.
2) Let DD leave, will open up about $18 million. Won't be enough to acquire a top flight free agent, but a Ryan Anderson type player. :laugh:
3) Either way, signing Biz will be impossible unless he opts into his $3 million PO.

This is assuming Masai doesn't find any suitors for Ross' contract.

I love Biz, but if we keep DD, he's gone.

Realistically, I think DD showed just enough in the latter part of the playoffs to sway Masai's decision to try to re-sign him. There aren't any SGs available in FA that are good enough to replace him anyway.

We will likely see Biz, JJ, Scola, and Thompson leave as UFAS, which will give us about 9 million in cap space.

If we want to retain DD and land a legitimate starting 4, we have to unload Ross.

Koto

May 3, 2011
They won't.

But in the NBA its different, the team who owns their rights like we do, can offer the extra year. Teams often pay up to give the player the extra year because the team who has him usually will match.

who other than melo to the knicks was traded for solely because the player wanted the super max. thats the only time i can remember a team giving up something significant for a pending UFA...and that worked out terribly for both the team and the player (well maybe for his bank account)

like i think the heat gave us something for bosh...but nothing near 2oa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad