Raptors Discussion: v57|The long, short run to the end of the season (and playoffs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
It seems that outside of the two trades on Tuesday, Horford is what is holding up trades. Until Atlanta decides what they are going to do (although I would assume teams will start exploring alternatives sooner than later, can't wait for Horford all day).

It's probably safe to assume the Raptors stay put. Most of the rumored guys available (Thad Young, Kenneth Faried, Markieff Morris) don't really make Toronto better.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/nba/myth-busting-are-raptors-trade-targets-actually-an-upgrade/

I would guess that it's Horford or bust for Toronto (and as people like Nem have posted, making that work would be a challenge), unless Masai has some unforseen move on someone we didn't know was available.
Excuse me? Did you even watch the game against Pheonix? We have nobody on the roster that brings what Morris can bring to the table.

And please don't trade Ross, he's been an extremely valuable asset off the bench.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Excuse me? Did you even watch the game against Pheonix? We have nobody on the roster that brings what Morris can bring to the table.

And please don't trade Ross, he's been an extremely valuable asset off the bench.

What choices you have, you have to give up some one to acquire assets for the playoffs

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I'd rather do nothing than move Ross/Patterson unless its for a non-rental good PF.

Markieff is awesome if you want someone who will punch his teammates and try 50% of the time.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Report: Raptors, Celtics interested in Thaddeus Young

http://www.thescore.com/nba/news/962209

The Brooklyn Nets finally have a new general manager, and Sean Marks' first day on the job sounds like it will revolve around finding a suitable trade-deadline partner for Thaddeus Young.

Marks may not have to look very far in that quest, however, as The Vertical's Chris Mannix reports that Atlantic Division rivals in Toronto and Boston are interested in the veteran power forward.

The Raptors have survived starting the crafty-yet-aging Luis Scola at the four-spot and have stretch-four Patrick Patterson coming off the bench, but could certainly use the upgrade to reach their goal of advancing out of the first round for just the second time in franchise history.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Young could be a solid pickup if the price isn't outrageous. He is only 27, and can average about 15 points and 8 rebounds as a starter in the right situation. He is also shooting almost 50% from the field this season. He is a bit undersized at 6"8 though.

mikebel111*

There is another hour or so - you never know

Lol I didnt realize that. I was just reading one reactive Tweet from someone that there are no trades:laugh:

If there are no trades, technically Carroll when he returns can be like a big trade deadline pickup.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Lol I didnt realize that. I was just reading one reactive Tweet from someone that there are no trades:laugh:

If there are no trades, technically Carroll when he returns can be like a big trade deadline pickup.

Realistically you can not trade future for rentals

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Former Toronto Raptors player Jalen Rose claims talented, high-priced NBA free agents avoid playing for Canada's only NBA team because of high tax rates.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/winds...free-agents-hate-canada-s-tax-rates-1.3453370

Former Toronto Raptor Jalen Rose claims talented, high-priced NBA free agents avoid playing for Canada's only NBA team because of high tax rates.

"You can't name me a player — an all-star calibre one at that — that as a free agent signed with the Toronto Raptors outright, because it does play a factor," Rose said Wednesday night on his ESPN Radio show Jalen & Jacoby.

Rose played 177 games for Toronto after being traded to the Raptors from the Chicago Bulls early in the 2003-04 NBA season.

"When I got traded from the Bulls to the Raptors, I got introduced to the Queen Elizabeth tax hike," Rose told cohost David Jacoby.

In Ontario, a person with a taxable income of $220,000 or more pays 33 per cent in federal income tax and an additional 13.16 per cent in provincial income tax.

Rose, who was a college sensation when he played at the University of Michigan, went on to name a laundry list of star players the Raptors drafted but later traded or lost to free agency. He seemed to blame taxes, at least in part, for many of the departures.

Jalen Rose starts talking about talented, high-priced NBA free agents not playing for the Toronto Raptors because of high tax rates at around the 55:23 mark of this audio clip.

You can listen to Jalen Rose's Wednesday night podcast at the following link:

http://c.espnradio.com/s:5L8r1/audio/2682499/JalenRose_2016-02-17-211339.64k.mp3

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Thad Young is way way better than Patrick Patterson and only 1 year older. I don't get this fascination with PP. If he was that good Toronto wouldnt desperately be looking for a PF. Manimal and Thad are both much better. PP Is shooting like 39% compared to Young at 50. Its not even comparable. Young plays like 8 more mins/game and dwarfs Pattersons stat line. Whats this obsession with Patterson?

Patterson - Per 36 - 9.2 / 6.2 / 1.7 with .5 blocks and 1.1 Steals - .395 FG%
Thad Young - Per 36 - 16.7 / 10 / 1.8 with .5 blocks and 1.6 steals - .513 FG% !

I just dont get it. That 1st isnt gonna be that special with the way the Knicks are playing.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I'd target a back up guard (in case KLow or Corey Joseph) go down with injury.

As it is, if KLow or Joseph go down, are we comfortable having Delon Wright back up?

mikebel111*

Thad Young is way way better than Patrick Patterson and only 1 year older. I don't get this fascination with PP. If he was that good Toronto wouldnt desperately be looking for a PF. Manimal and Thad are both much better. PP Is shooting like 39% compared to Young at 50. Its not even comparable. Young plays like 8 more mins/game and dwarfs Pattersons stat line. Whats this obsession with Patterson?

Patterson - Per 36 - 9.2 / 6.2 / 1.7 with .5 blocks and 1.1 Steals - .395 FG%
Thad Young - Per 36 - 16.7 / 10 / 1.8 with .5 blocks and 1.6 steals - .513 FG% !

I just dont get it. That 1st isnt gonna be that special with the way the Knicks are playing.

Trading PP and that Knicks for Young is a stupid move. What do you by with the way Knicks are playing? The Knicks are struggling hard and will likely continue to go down. That pick could be really good

I am not trading PP and that 1st for Young. Not happening

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005

Hopefully it's not the same surgeon that did Saunders knee.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Wizards acquire Markief Morris who would have been a great fit here, IMO.

This team, as it is, is not a shoe in to go past in the 1st round. That's 3 years straight.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Wizards acquire Markief Morris who would have been a great fit here, IMO.

This team, as it is, is not a shoe in to go past in the 1st round. That's 3 years straight.

I think they're vastly improved over the two years prior, and play a brand of basketball far better suited for the playoffs.

Not sure which available player would have materially enhanced their ability to advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad