Raptors Discussion: v55| Would you say that now is the time to panic? Yes I would, Kent

Status
Not open for further replies.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
There's no choice for us/Knicks. The only choice belongs to the Nuggets, who can elect to swap with the Knicks because of the Carmelo trade. The Raptors simply get whatever pick the Knicks end up with after the Denver decision.

So it will either be:

If Denver ends up with a higher pick than New York:
-Denver keeps their own pick
-Raptors get the Knicks' pick.

If New York ends up with a higher pick than Denver:
-Denver elects to swap picks. They take the Knicks' pick
-The Knicks get Denver's pick because of the swap, but must pass it along to the Raptors.

and then obviously the Raptors also get their own pick, barring making a trade with it this season.

ok I understand that part, but my question was more based around the lottery rules. do they get to choose before or after the lottery has commenced

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Still can't believe we got a 1st round pick for Bargnani LOL
Masai fleeced New York twice

Only team worse than the Knicks in this area is Brooklyn. With various trades they've basically given up like 5 or 6 years worth of 1sts over the last few years and into the future.

They won't have full control of their own 1st rounder until 2019. They won't have complete control of their draft board until at least 2021 (in 2019 and 2020 they have their 2nd traded off in a head-spinning maze of conditional swaps and rights trades.

They went for it to get Garnett/Pierce and build around that Joe Johnson/Garnett/Pierce/Deron Williams core and basically came away with nothing but a team that is crippled by its financial burdens and has no lifeline to dig itself out because it has pretty much burned away basically every draft between 2014 and 2019.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
im assuming after reading the responses

Denver chooses after the lottery is completed, as far as I know. In fact, it could be one of those screwy "only in the NBA" draft situations where each of the 3 teams goes into the draft nominally having their own picks, and then the trades are only made official after each team makes a pick at the behest of the team that "really owns" a given pick.

Like, for example, if the lottery and post-season results end up slotting New York 3rd, Denver 5th, and Toronto 20th, then the Nuggets will tell New York who to take at 3, that player will get a Knicks cap for going on stage and being announced. The Raptors will then tell the Nuggets who to take at 5, and that player will get a Nuggets cap. Then like 20 minutes later the trade will be announced and player 3 will trade their Knicks cap for a Nuggets one, and player 5 will give up the Nuggets cap for a Raptors one. And then the Knicks cap will just go into the garbage next to an unused Nets one :sarcasm: And then Toronto would select again at 20 for themselves, and I don't know why I even mentioned it at all since it has zero bearing on the trades/pick swap setup.

The NBA's draft trade rules are stupid and confusing and kinda arbitrary.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Yeah, Boston looks golden right now. NJ looks down and out and are a league worst 0-7, and the Celts have their unprotected first.. hopefully our Knicks/Nuggets pick turns out to be top 10

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
and godammit JJ, stop acting like you're an offensive option. Only way you should be trying to break down your man is if Lowry and DeRozan and Valanciuans are all covered.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
dear god, I forgot the Knicks had Derick Williams too. If they actually had their own pick, you'd swear they were trying to tank.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
Denver chooses after the lottery is completed, as far as I know. In fact, it could be one of those screwy "only in the NBA" draft situations where each of the 3 teams goes into the draft nominally having their own picks, and then the trades are only made official after each team makes a pick at the behest of the team that "really owns" a given pick.

Like, for example, if the lottery and post-season results end up slotting New York 3rd, Denver 5th, and Toronto 20th, then the Nuggets will tell New York who to take at 3, that player will get a Knicks cap for going on stage and being announced. The Raptors will then tell the Nuggets who to take at 5, and that player will get a Nuggets cap. Then like 20 minutes later the trade will be announced and player 3 will trade their Knicks cap for a Nuggets one, and player 5 will give up the Nuggets cap for a Raptors one. And then the Knicks cap will just go into the garbage next to an unused Nets one :sarcasm: And then Toronto would select again at 20 for themselves, and I don't know why I even mentioned it at all since it has zero bearing on the trades/pick swap setup.

The NBA's draft trade rules are stupid and confusing and kinda arbitrary.

yeah that sounds like one hell of a gong show. lol but hey I guess it makes tv lol

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
60 pts against... by the Knicks.

Come on, D. Also, why the **** are we playing Bennett regular minutes with Ross out? It should be Powell getting some of Ross' minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad